Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wrecks on BCN 5
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 04:23 PM
Wrecks on BCN 5

Enroute to San Felipe Tuesday AM, I counted the number of wrecked vehicles on the side of the road. I had always guessed the number was about 50.
In 1994/95 when scrap prices where high the number was very low, 3 or 4.
Scrap is now about $200 a ton so the heavy parts are now becoming economical to salvage. Between KM 30 and Km 190 there are currently 47 assorted types, some old, some new.
Nearly all are burned, I assume after being stripped of useable parts. The truck load of scrap iron that crashed in May was totaly cleaned up, the large motor home near the old Army checkpoint is almost all gone, the Volvo just past that is nothing but frame.No one knows the story behind most of them.The sharp curve from the Mountain down to the salt flats has new glass but no new crosses yet, the 5 crosses you see in one group are for the 5 children who died there in the spring of 2004 when the small car they were riding in spunout early 1 morning , I with others stopped to help but they where beyond that, smeared like broken dolls in the red rocks.
Every trip I hope that I will not be the one who is involved or has to stop and help those who are, it makes me drive a little safer I think, others don't worry, today returning to the states I was passed by at least 3 USA lisenced vehicles traveling at least 100 MPH on the salt flats. I have a little tip for them, the ambulance from San felipe or Mexicalli is not going to drive that fast.
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 06:45 PM
amen

The congregation says amen to that. I have been driving the entire length of mex-1 for 31 years and have seen some horrific accidents. Each time I drive down or return to the states it seems I do it a little slower and a bit more cautious. Just look at the number of topes on mex-1 now, over 100 I counted two weeks ago. Lots more traffic especially trucks, gotta keep costco stocked!! Just crusin along---fishin rich
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 10:22 PM
After spending time fishtailing

in a 3/4 ton van at night just south of San Vicente in the curves, and living through it, you tend to re- think your invinceable attitude.
No matter how many times you have driven back and forth or how many dead people you have seen,( I have many stories!) you need to realize every second that something can happen. WAAAY BAAAAAD !!!!!!:light:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 07:34 PM

About ten years ago, after too many close encounters at
night, I gave up night driving to San Felipe. Daytime
is bad enough, but you've got much better odds. I rarely
drive into San Felipe at night anymore from Percebu, maybe
once in awhile for Dinner at El Nidos. Too many things can
go wrong and usually you've got no place to go except off
the road into the desert.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 07:56 AM
May the Force be with you.

Signed,

Yoda

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.