Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: dtEXpilot
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 07:44 PM
dtEXpilot

With a heavy heart I said goodbye to N4608B today. We learned to fly together (she already knew how) and had some great, memorable times. We spent a lot of time in the skies of Mexico, landed on most of the dirt strips and many places where there was no strip at all. She was a fine bird and I was always proud to show up with her weather it was at "Millionaire"in Palm Springs or at El Gallito in Mulege. People always commented on her and wished they had one like her. It seems that most pilots harbor a desire to fly a bush plane but most never learn how. I guess I was lucky, I never really learned how to fly one with the tail wheel on the front.

When I bought her 16 years ago she only had 3000hrs on the clock and a reasonably fresh engine. Her log books noted that she had only been flown 6 hrs in the previous year and only 20 the year before. As a newly minted pilot I found it difficult to imagine having such a fine bird and leaving her in the hanger. I vowed to never let that happen to her again.

Our wants and needs change as we grow up. I thought that the plane would always be a big part of our lives but that hasn't been the reality. I find that I don't fly much these days, I like to and want to but just don't seem to make the time for it. When I renewed my insurance recently I saw that I had only flown 20hrs last year....only 40 the year before....not nearly enough to stay competent in the air and not enough to honor my commitment of 16 years ago. She will be headed to Australia in a couple of weeks where a fresh engine and new adventure await.

My last flight was to Mulege for the hurricane Jimena relief effort with the BBP. I can't think of a better "last flight", it was the most satisfying trip we had ever made together.

The FAA has her listed as 4608Bravo but I always thought of her as 4608Beautiful........I think I'll keep my dtbushpilot handle after all.......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:04 PM

Tears dripping from my beard:(
What's your next toy? 2011 RZR?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:27 PM

Actually it's a KTM 690R. My son and I just got back from 9 days of Baja offroad adventure. I'll post a trip report later.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 10:38 PM

That's a great story David... Memories are the best treasures we keep forever!

I wish your bird to now have a great new life, Down Under!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 11:46 PM

David,
Letting go of that beauty must not have been an easy decision...

Having your 690 might take some of that sting away...

Looking forward to how the 690 treated you on your recent trip.

Don't believe everything you think....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 06:47 AM

seen her many times at El Gallito dt but never got to meet you - yet that is.
well you can ride shotgun with me in 69 poppa anytime we can hook up. yes, my little wheel is on the wrong end....but you'll like her too and we can go almost anywhere similar birds congegrate . ;^))

i'd be heart wrenched to give up my bird as we've been together as pilot and mistress now for 16 years and 2000 hours plus in the air together...that's like a year of 8 hour days 5 days a week!!

she loves going to baja and mainland but we can't do that for a while as her job now is to fleet me to havasu weekly in a short 55 min hop - and avoid a 4 hour ground pounding slog.

enjoy your new adventures and motos dt, you'll have ample opportunities to get in the sky some more!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.