Property tax discounts for 2011

Dormant bank accounts will be seized

Mobile routers for Telcel 3G

Rob

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 12:37 AM

How does you site instruct people to secure their immigrant staus if the decide to live part or full time in San Felipe?

I am sure anyone on a tourist card can buy anything for sale... but after that, to be able to live any part of the year there... beyond the 180 day tourist card limit... what do you advise? Is there more security in having an FM-3?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:11 AM

David, I don't offer any financial or legal advice (and anyway free advice from any site would be worth what you pay for it).

San Felipe Life is mainly "how-to's" (or how not to's) and notifications.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:14 AM

Well, I thought how non-Mexicans can live in Mexico legally would be the top question?

Are you a non-Mexican citizen and do you live in Mexico? Do you only use a tourist card to be legal there?

Thanks for any information!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:46 AM

David, I have an FM-3 to be a legal resident in Mexico (not because I own property, I would get one even if I was renting).

It allows me to stay as long (or as little, unlike an FM-2) as I want, without worrying about dates.

No, it's not a hot topic of discussion. This is basically because those who already live here have one, and there's almost nobody new arriving - the US press has scared them off (despite there being very little serious crime in San Felipe).

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 12:47 PM

Once we received our Declaratoria de Inmigrado in 2008 we immediately closed our Bancomer account as they had ripped us off for several hundred dollars through the FM-3 and FM-2 years. Lawyers, bankers, and thieves comes to mind.:no:

[Edited on 1-11-2011 by BajaRob]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:16 PM

Riom, thank you... so sounds like the new and/ or primary reason for an FM-3 over an FMM is to not need to renew it every 180 days. How long is an FM-3 good for?

krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:51 PM

DK-brings up an interesting question-we started with the FM-3 4 years ago and after missing a year we have one year to go for FM-2-we are Americans and presently full time residents and I believe this is what you need if you are SERIOUS about being in Mexico. We put our everything into building a home here and if i had the money i would do it again-so there
DK-not serious!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by krafty
DK-brings up an interesting question-we started with the FM-3 4 years ago and after missing a year we have one year to go for FM-2-we are Americans and presently full time residents and I believe this is what you need if you are SERIOUS about being in Mexico. We put our everything into building a home here and if i had the money i would do it again-so there
DK-not serious!

Now that an FMM allows you to live in Mexico (I guess)... would you still get the FM-3 if you were just starting the process today? Is it only so you don't need to renew it every 180 days?

Thanks !

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Now that an FMM allows you to live in Mexico (I guess)...

No, an FMM is an entry permit (not visa) that allows you to enter as a tourist (amongst othe categories), as often as you want, for up to 180 days per issue. It also appears to allow you to own real estate (under a fideicomiso in the relevant areas), either for investment or part-time living.

A tourist is somebody who visits then goes "home". When you're spending most of your time visiting, and almost no time at all at "home" (in the US), then you're no longer a tourist, and shouldn't be using a tourist entry permit.

The US for example considers a visitor (tourist) to be somebody who stays for a while with the intention of returning to their own home in another country after their visit. Somebody who keeps visiting and spends more than half each year in the US will eventually be refused entry.

I expect Mexico will do the same, in cases where the tourist entry permit (FMM) is abused by those who use it as a back door to residence. And there isn't any need, the FM3 visa is very easy to get. I don't know of any country with a cheaper or simpler residence visa for foreigners.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Quote:

No, an FMM is an entry permit (not visa) that allows you to enter as a tourist (amongst othe categories), as often as you want, for up to 180 days per issue. It also appears to allow you to own real estate (under a fideicomiso in the relevant areas), either for investment or part-time living.

A tourist is somebody who visits then goes "home". When you're spending most of your time visiting, and almost no time at all at "home" (in the US), then you're no longer a tourist, and shouldn't be using a tourist entry permit.

The US for example considers a visitor (tourist) to be somebody who stays for a while with the intention of returning to their own home in another country after their visit. Somebody who keeps visiting and spends more than half each year in the US will eventually be refused entry.

I expect Mexico will do the same, in cases where the tourist entry permit (FMM) is abused by those who use it as a back door to residence. And there isn't any need, the FM3 visa is very easy to get. I don't know of any country with a cheaper or simpler residence visa for foreigners.

I guess you didn't read the FMM thread where I said almost exactly what you are saying here... and bajagrouper came all undone with saying an FMM is all you need and is all he has to buy a home and live in Mexico... and it seems that the only issue is going north each 180 days to get a new one? Oh, and a La Paz resident backed him up and put me down because I couldn't possibly know anything being a tourist living in the U.S. ?? :lol:

A couple others said he was full of it, but didn't want to get as involved as I was to get at the facts.

Thank you Riom, I see the tourist card the same way you do... and that goes for what a tourist is... somebody eho 'tours' a new place on their vacation of vacations in hotels or camping... NOT on their own property.

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I guess you didn't read the FMM thread where I said almost exactly what you are saying here... and bajagrouper came all undone with saying an FMM is all you need and is all he has to buy a home and live in Mexico... and it seems that the only issue is going north each 180 days to get a new one? Oh, and a La Paz resident backed him up and put me down because I couldn't possibly know anything being a tourist living in the U.S. ?? :lol:

A couple others said he was full of it, but didn't want to get as involved as I was to get at the facts.

Thank you Riom, I see the tourist card the same way you do... and that goes for what a tourist is... somebody eho 'tours' a new place on their vacation of vacations in hotels or camping... NOT on their own property.

Not even close....what the La Paz resident actually said was:
Quote:
Because of your experiences, you address everything Baja from a tourist vantage point. Please accept that there is a huge difference in how the many full-time Baja residents view things based on their firsthand knowledge & actual experiences. Laws, statutes & actual firsthand experience from people I trust & respect carry much more weight with me personally, than speculation or someones ex-wife's second-cousin, twice removed thinks maybe....just as I suspect it does with you. <<< That's an honest factual observation, in no way meant to be taken as "power tripping"!

Riom, great site, useful information!!

Can you direct me to the source of your information "Previously there was also tenencia to pay but that has now been abolished."? Does this refer only to National plates, only Norte plates or Norte and Sur plates??

I've heard rumors for the past 5 years that they were going to do away with tenencia, but I apparently missed hearing/seeing that it had finally occurred. Do you know if this is only on purchases from here forward or if it will also apply to past purchases currently being charged annual tenencia fees?

Thank you for whatever additional information you can provide.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 12:20 PM

So longlegsinlapaz, is bajagrouper RIGHT or NOT? He lives there and has property there on a FMM... Silly little tourist me is trying to point out how absurd that is based on EVERYONE else who has gone to the effort to get an FM-3...

You say I am wrong, but you still haven't been clear if bajagrouper is right. We both can't be wrong, afterall.

Per bajagrouper:

FMM = legally live in Mexico on land you own or lease... Yes or No?
FM-3 = same as FMM, but no need to renew every 180 days... Yes or No?

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Can you direct me to the source of your information "Previously there was also tenencia to pay but that has now been abolished."? Does this refer only to National plates, only Norte plates or Norte and Sur plates??

I did assume tenencia had been totally abolished after all the discussions recently, as I didn't pay any, but on checking it seems there are some luxury vehicles it still applies to.

The rules are at a state level, so different in BCS, but in BC the new rules are mentioned in the first para at
http://www.bajacalifornia.gob.mx/portal/faq/placas_tenencia....
(see the document they link to, which also shows the dramatic savings).

Also at http://losimpuestos.com.mx/tenencia-baja-california/

In short, the vehicle needs to have a tax value (current value) below 260,000 pesos to be exempt. So it needs to be a luxury new vehicle to be charged anything (92% of BC vehicles are worth less). This is both National (BC) and Fronteriza plates, they are treated the same.

I'll update my article.

Can't find anything on BCS doing anything similar, looks like it's still just proposals there. I thought all the states were required to start the process of removing tenencia this year, but maybe BCS are dragging their feet for as long as possible.

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
FMM = legally live in Mexico on land you own or lease... Yes or No?

Yes, short term or part of each year (in other words, for visits). No, for full-time living (but currently you'd get away with it, until the record keeping improves).

Quote:

FM-3 = same as FMM, but no need to renew every 180 days... Yes or No?

The FM-3 gives you additional residence rights. For example, you (usually) can't get a driver's license - and therefore can't register a car - on an FMM but you can on an FM-3.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 06:36 PM

Thank you Riom!

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You must have an FMM at the time you buy property and start the Fidi process. You can not get an FM3, unless you are retired, until you have a Fidi. The exception to the FM3 is if you are working in Mexico, but only in particular fields. I have had an fm3 for over 5 years and now have an FM2.

All of this being said, it will change, no doubt.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 10:57 PM

Thank you Blue!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.