MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 12:50 PM
Importing Wood

Heading South Friday.
I'll let you know next week what the current attitude is at the Garita Oriente
crossing in Mexicali. I've got my truck loaded with Peeler Posts and Tent Poles
that I'm going to use for a railing around my Palapa. Since I'm driving my short
bed truck, they're sticking out the back and I have no choice but to drive straight
into Secondary. Although the purchase value is only around $150, sometimes they
don't consider building materials qualify under the personal deductible, other times
they just shrug and wave me through.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 01:51 PM
Lumber in BCS

Most all the towns have ferreterias (hardware stores) that carry lumber and building supplies. Los Barriles has two or three and La Paz has a lot of them.
Lumber is much costlier in BCS and so are tools and building supplies. Example, the cheapest cement I found was $10.50 a bag.
And, one day it took stops at four hardware stores in La Paz to find 2" deck screws. This is Baja!
And construction can be quite exasperating at times!:lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 03:25 PM
Cemento

Article today in the L.A. Times regarding the coming shortage of Cement in the U.S.
primarily due to the demands of an exploding economy in China and the U.S. anti-
dumping laws preventing Cement imports from Mexico. Since Mexico is such a prolific
producer of Cement, I wonder why their price has been going up in Northern Baja as well.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 05:21 PM
Think along the lines of

that Diamond family. Monopoly!
I've been meeting with a lot of architects recently and they are all complaining that the price of metals here has doubled in the last year because it is all getting exported to China.
I went through that a number of years back with Redwood. It was / is? all getting sent to Japan and China.
And seeing one of their uses, pretty impressive. Picture this.
A plasma saw that can cut 113 layers out of a 1" thick piece of redwood.
And then picture strips of redwood so thin that when used for crown mouldings or ceiling details with lights behind them, you see the wood grain when the lights are off and you light the room when they are on.
I thought that was pretty cool. But then, I'm a carpenter.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 02:22 AM
High cost of Mexican cemento

1 reason is that even Baja is running short on easly produced raw materials.
For instance for the past 2 years or more there has been 24-7 hauling of an additive to cement from 8 miles south of Puertecitos to the cement plants near Ensenada and Tijuana . There are about 12 trucks involved and they usualy run in pairs, it takes them 18 hours loaded and 12 hours empty for a round trip. This coundt not be cheap! They are largely responsible for the road damage S of San Felipe, some of the old culverts are buried 6 or 8 feet under the vados and the trucks are crushing them and leaving holes in the vados 3 feet in diameter and 6 feet deep that will swalow. a car tire to the frame! Every one useing that road tries to keep them marked but its not always possible. They are especialy bad between KM 58 and Puertecitos in Matomi Wash. They do not drive fast but are heavly loaded. There are also 18 wheelers using the Hiway 1 cutoff through Gonzaga Bay to San Felipe, I don't know what they are hauling but I would guess bagged salt or more cement ingredent?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.