BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does anyone here have a recipe for Chantrel mushrooms?
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 12:48 PM
Does anyone here have a recipe for Chantrel mushrooms?

A friend of mine brought me a bag of them yesterday and I have no idea how to cook them except to just saute them in butter and onions.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 01:02 PM

Yep...and you are really lucky to get a bag of them! Chanterelles have a distinctive enough flavor that they hold up well with other foods...saute with a little garlic oil and serve on grilled fish...or saute with shallots, olive oil, slices (rings) of guajillo chiles and scallops and/or prawns...or you can saute them and put them in a pan with seasoned bread crumbs and cheese on top and broil...
Hope that helps...happy eating!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 01:08 PM
Thanks!

The garlic and fish thing sounds good. (I love anything with garlic) I'll try that. The scallop dish also sounds good, too bad I ate the scallops yesterday, guess I'll have to shopping.

[Edited on 8-17-2004 by Debra]
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 11:12 PM

You're making me green with envy, Debra--I used to pick chanterelles on Whidbey. They have such a great flavor that I like them sauteed in butter, with a little flour added and then liquid for thickening, and just served over toast as a snack.

Lera
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 12:02 AM

after living in Oregon where we could pick them every year I too am green with envy. I just brush them off real good and also do a quick saute' with butter and garlic....and that little bit of flour for thickening. What a wonderful delicacy for this area......enjoy??? oh also just a hint of white wine also goes good with them while cooking of course.....and drinking afterwards.....
kellychapman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 12:04 AM

oh and I forgot to add I serve them with boleos cut into slices and rub raw garlic on front and back and brown on the grill with a little butter added to make mice and crunchy to serve them on.....oh how I wish I could cook them up for you.....:wow:
kellychapman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 12:06 AM

to make nice and crunchy......and to make even better have a small plate with virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixed into it to soak up to make a most incredable feast....
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 12:14 AM

ever tried to use some sour cream before serving, just a teaspoon or 2 blended in the gravy/sauce ? Hmmmmmm!:yes:
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 01:22 AM

Sounds like they would be good served over some plain egg noodles, or maybe used in a Stroganoff recipe...mmmmm!

Amo :saint:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 10:07 AM

Saute in butter and olive oil, deglaze pan with Madera wine if you have it, or any that you do. Serve over sliced Tri-Tip steak with a glass of Zinfandel.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 10:23 AM
How about a chantrelle souffle?

Souffle of Fresh Chantrelle Mushrooms

3 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
3 shallots, peeled and minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
5 large eggs, separated
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 2-quart soufflé dish.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add chanterelles and shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until moisture is evaporated, about 15 minutes. Whisk in flour, then gradually blend in half-and-half and wine. Stir in tarragon, salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until thick, about 3 minutes. Stir about 1/2-cup hot mixture into egg yolks, then return to pan and stir to blend. Remove from heat and cool while beating egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold half of the egg whites into mushroom mixture. Carefully fold in remaining whites.
Pour mixture into prepared soufflé dish and bake 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 11:38 AM

Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes with olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped shallots, turning several times until tender and slightly crispy at the edges. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve as a side to smoked elk tenderloin with port wine reduction and horseradish-spiked mashed fingerling potatoes. Recommended wine -- 2002 Marquis Phillips Shiraz. Yeah, baby!

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 01:07 PM
Funny you should ask

Yer almost there......

I could reel off a few good recipes but my all time favorite is a chantrelle omelette.
Remember, mushrooms must be cooked well in order to soften the tough cell wall. That makes the mushrooms beneficial in your diet.
Sautee' the shrooms in white wine, butter and garlic. Set aside. Grill up some sweet Maui onions till clear. Set aside.
Using and omlette or non-stick pan, cook beaten eggs (3-4) w/small amount of milk till 3/4 done. Spread a large amount of grilled shrooms and a smaller layer of onions. On top of that shred some good Jack or similar cheese. Fold over and finish cooking till cheese melts.

I make a sauce for the meal consisting of shrooms, wine and a broth using clam juice or chicken broth and a small amount of cornstarch. Reduce till med thick.
Garnish with a couple cooked chantrelles and finely chopped chives or green onions.

Makes a premier meal. Trust me!;D
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 01:18 PM
and another favorite...yummy on a winter day

We love mushrooms...and the family fun of hunting for and picking mushrooms!

This is a killer soup.

Chantrelle Sweet Potato Cream Soup
This is a mild, subtle soup whose flavors are tuned to flatter the sweet fruitiness of the chantrelle. If you wish, you can augment the nutmeg with a dash of powdered cumin to add an additional hint of mystery.

1.5 lbs sweet potatoes or yams
1/2 lbs baby potatoes (red, idaho, russet, etc.)
8 oz. chantrelles, chopped coarse
5 oz. broccoli, chopped fine
2 shallots, chopped fine
2 cups chicken stock
2 T butter
2 T sherry
1 cup milk
1/2 t nutmeg
1 T chopped fresh basil
1 T chopped fresh parsley
dash of salt
Start by peeling the potatoes, cut them into cubes and boil them in salted water for about 20 minutes, until soft. Put them in a blender or food processor, along with the nutmeg and chicken stock, and blend until smooth, thick and creamy.

Clean the chantrelles and chop them into small chunks. Chop the shallots very finely, and combine them with the chantrelles and butter in the bottom a stock pot. Sauté the shallots with the chantrelles on medium heat until the shallots are translucent (about 10 minutes), then add the finely chopped broccoli and the sherry. Cook for an additional 3 minutes on higher heat, stirring.

Now add the puréed potato mixture, along with 1 cup of milk. Stir to heat evenly, but avoid boiling. Remove from heat, and ladle onto soup plates. Garnish the top with chopped basil and parsley before serving.

Simply good! Don't forget your glass of wine!

- mschantpotsoup-.gif - 30kB

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 01:57 PM
Hey, no fair!

We are not allowed by our credo to copy and paste recipes. Right Bruce.;D;D;D;D
Google will bust you every time!:lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 02:04 PM

right you need to past the link if it is not yours

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 02:06 PM

right you need to past the link if it is not yours.

here is a good one but I have not tested it .
http://www.lanierbb.com/recipes/data/715.html

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 03:05 PM
My wife has contributed a ton of recipes to many sites...especially in pie baking

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
We are not allowed by our credo to copy and paste recipes. Right Bruce.;D;D;D;D
Google will bust you every time!:lol:

Well, Google had best look out for my wife's rolling pin! ;D

kellychapman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 02:21 PM

omg....I am in big trouble as I did not know of such a credo........I have cut and pasted all the fabulous ones already...but i swear not to write a cookbook and will keep them to myself......will I be arrested for breading the "credo"????? it would be well worth it as some of these receipes are out of this world......:light::yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.