BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LED recessed lights or other lighting options for off-grid home?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 12:23 PM
LED recessed lights or other lighting options for off-grid home?

Has anyone used recessed light fixtures in a home with a ceiling/roof out of casetones (which are the 6" foam blocks in a grid work of concrete beams?)

I had planned to use Cree LED recessed lights in many rooms of our casa but just learned that standard 6" diameter can housings are 7.5" high and are too tall for the foam block ceiling. Cree CR6

I really like the Cree CR6 fixture because the led's are behind a lens and they don't look like a flashlight. You just screw them in to any standard Halo-type housing and they start at 10.5watts and give off about 65watt equivalent. Plus they're dimmable down to 5% which gives flexibility since every watt counts with solar . The CR6 lamp and a can housing will run about $70 per fixture. Not cheap, but we shouldn't have to replace the bulbs in our lifetime.

The builder says if we pour an extra inch of concrete on the roof and over the floor on the 2nd story we could accommdate the 7.5" housing height, but I'm trying to see if there are other options.

The only other option i can come up with without having to pour extra concrete is to use a Halo "shallow ceiling" housing that are 5.5" high. Cree makes a LED bulb that replaces a 4" flood-type bulb that would work in this fixture. CREE LBR30 These bulbs use 12 w and are dimmable 20% and are equivalent to 50-60watt bulbs with a flood beam.

Each of these LED bulbs is $99 and with the trim and housing it's $126 per light. Also they're only 4" bulbs so I'd need more fixtures than I would with the 6".

This is for an 2400sf casa and I need to watch the watts and not go nuts on the cost. What kind of lighting have those of you with solar power used?

[Edited on 2-4-2011 by oladulce]
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 04:25 PM

I don't have any of those foam ceiling blocks exposed any longer, but I'm thinking they're 8" not 6".....my recessed cans are 5" deep & the functioning light portion that goes inside the cans is 5.25" - 5.50" including finish trim ring. Are the prices you quoted pesos or USD?? :o

If all else fails, you may want to research cost difference of the 8" foam blocks since foam is a helluva lot cheaper than cement, sand, gravel & water & that'd lighten your roof load. My #2 plan would be floor lamps or wall & table lamps. I know that's not practical in the kitchen & bath, but what about under cabinet lightning in the cocina? Or ceiling mount spot lights you can point exactly where you want (like over my bookshelves) IMO, the 10' ceiling heights make for a LOT of light loss down at the level you actually use it. Just brainstorming....besides, we both know I'm not off grid.:saint:

They say candles are very romantic!:biggrin:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 05:01 PM

I am just now installing the lighting in our off grid home, we have casaton ceilings and I used the small 4" diameter 4 1/2" deep cans. You can buy the trims with a standard screw in base that will take a PAR20 type of bulb at Los Arcos in La Paz for 36 pesos each. I just ordered some 3 watt LED's for them, when they get here in about 3 weeks I'll let you know how they work. I ordered them from this place:http://www.lightingever.com/ These are the bulbs I've ordered:http://www.lightingever.com/3w-e27-led-bulbs-2.html

[Edited on 2-4-2011 by monoloco]
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 05:52 PM

I just double checked the BlockMex website and the Caseton blocks are 6" thick which is what the contractor told me the other day. Bummer. It seems pretty extreme to add more concrete to the 1st and 2nd stories just to use the the Cree Cr6 LED recessed lights but they sure are a neat package.

The "shallow ceiling" recessed fixtures with the 4" LED bulbs make more sense. I just have to get over the $99 dollars per led bulb thing. Can't compare them to the cost of old fashioned flood lamps cuz they cost what they cost. Looking at the big picture, 10 recessed lights would be $1200 and I guess that's not too bad to light a room.

Our ceilings are 9' on the 1st floor and 8' on the 2nd level. If I combine the can lights with undercabinet and spot or track lights with led's I should be able light the kitchen and main rooms. CFL's in wall sconces work fine in halls and baths where lights aren't on for long periods.

I'm sure LED lighting is just like solar equipment- we'll invest in it this year and they'll come out with something better for half the price next year.

Thanks LLinLP.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 06:01 PM

Monoloco, what rooms are you using those lights in and how are you spacing them? Please report back on how they work out.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 06:21 PM

I am using them for lighting in covered porch areas mostly, in our out door dining area I have 6 lights in a 5'x5' spacing, I am looking for more of an ambient type lighting nothing too bright.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:55 PM

LED lighting and fixtures are common in yachts today. We changed over 112 halogen lights to LED's from http://cantalupiusa.com/ on a 92' motor yacht, along with 400 feet of rope lighting from http://www.imtra.com/product/marine_lighting.htm. If your battery bank is below 30 VDC you could power them directly. If not both companies make 120 VAC fixtures, just not as large a selection.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 07:24 AM

I don't know what you have for a solar system but I found that the 12v bulbs are a pain because you have to either run a separate DC lighting circuit (which doesn't work for me because I have a 24v system) or use transformers. I have a bunch of nice 12v MR16 Led bulbs that I cannot use because they don't like the cheap transformers. I found that it's much easier and cheaper to run everything on 120v.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 10:21 AM

I was just looking at the March 2009 National Geographic and saw this small piece about LED's
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/03/energy-conservatio...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 10:52 AM

$99 for LED bulbs :o

No,no,no....I hope I'm not too late to post-

Use standard or shallow recessed can housings (should be less than $30), google LED light bulbs, TONS of them out there for ~$10, saw some for as low as $7.

Readily available now at Ace, Home Depot, etc. Here's one from Ace Hardware, $9.99 Medium Base (standard light bulb base, not the mini candelabra size) 1.5W=40 watt incandescent bulb.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=40289...

Here's links for the Halo shallow ceiling can H27T-
http://www.haloltg.com/common/brands.cfm?pg=Detail&brand...
http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Lighting-H27T-Housing-Shallow/d...

Halo website says the H27T is IC rated (means there can be insulation packed around the housing and the light won't overheat. non-IC rated means there can be no insulation around the housing, the fixture needs the air space to dissipate the heat. Not an issue if using LED bulbs)

hope this helps-

edit- more on bulbs-
http://www.smarthome.com/_/Dimmers_Lighting_Appliance_Contro...
SmartHome has lots of LED bulbs with 10w dimmables for$40-60. Use dimmables one where heeded and use regular ones elsewhere. Also, Halo has lenses/shower trims that can be used to further diffuse the light and hide the "flashlight" liiking bulbs. But there are many LED bulbs out there now with the standard frosted lightbulb look.

warm white LED lamps-
http://www.smarthome.com/_/Dimmers_Lighting_Appliance_Contro...

[Edited on 2-4-2011 by BajaNuts]

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 03:10 PM

DavidT- That rope lighting is cool stuff and i plan to use a little of it. I doubt if I could afford anything labeled boat,marine, nautical etc. Wow it must have cost a fortune to redo the lighting on that "boat"!

Thanks Bajanuts- those are the Halo cans I'm considering.

Maybe I've been drinking the Cree "high-quality" LED kool aid for too long, but the reading I've done says there's a huge difference in longevity, and quality of LED's out there. And a big difference in the quality of the light they put out. Lower quality lamps often have problems with dimmers even when they are labeled dimmable and their light is often unpleasant, or so they say.

Maybe I'll just install the Halo shallow ceiling housings and experiment with different price-point LED bulbs knowing that I can always go with the most expensive Cree bulbs if the cheaper ones don't work out. Later, if there are any funds left over it will be fun to pick out some cool pendant lights.

Here's a pic of the larger Cree 6" cr6/lr6 recessed lights that use 10 watts each. Bummer I can't use them with our type construction. (not my kitchen BTW).

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 04:31 PM

I have been using the Ecosmart LED's from Home Depot in the states, they are a 40 watt equivalent standard bulb that uses 9 watts and costs under $20. We have been very pleased with the light quality and brightness, and my batteries are usually in float mode before noon so I'm expending little energy on lighting.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 05:02 PM

Looking for an alternative to the costly Cree par 30 bulb, I came upon a brand called Lighting Science and found a $56 warm white flood light they make that would fit a recessed can. Found out today that Lighting Science manufactures the Ecosmart for Home Depot.

Thanks for the review on those bulbs monoloco. Some of the opinions I've read say that LED's tend to be brighter even if the lumens are "equal" to the closest incandescent bulb wattage.
Would you say the "40watts" is close to a old fashioned 40 watt , or more like a 50 or 60w to the naked eye?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 07:08 AM

I replaced my 26 watt CFL's with them and the light is just as bright and the color is better. I haven't compared them to an incandescent. I think that in the next year or so we will start seeing many more LED options and lower prices.

[Edited on 2-5-2011 by monoloco]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 07:21 AM

i got mine on ebay
then i talked to the guy in china and he shipped the stuff special

you can get gu10... plug in... and screw in
par 20 or anything

these are much cheaper

leds are NOT as bright as cf bulbs but use very little electricty

and they don't last as long as advertised...get replacements

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 07:33 AM

That's the reason to get Cree's or another name brand, they are a better built bulb with better light quality, a lot of the cheap Chinese ones are very white. The Ecosmart's have a 5 year warrantee and the Phillips have a 6 year. I had 1 of about 10 of the Ecosmarts fail after 1 use and Home Depot replaced it no problem. I think that Cree is probably the best technology.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 09:31 AM

just toured an associate's remodeled home.
he did all LED cans in the kitchen lid.
total wattage cumulative is 64. an amazing efficiency!
i wouldn't have anything else if i was off grid.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 10:01 AM
Update and recessed light solution

BigWooo came up with a solution for installing recessed lights in a 6" foam block "casetón" ceiling.

We used regular Halo-type 4" fixtures for the ceilings which are 5" deep and Wooo made wooded boxes that were mounted before they poured the concrete roofs/ceilings. He put in the fixtures yesterday and capped the box with drywall and the ceiling plastering will begin soon.

The fixtures were inexpensive. The "dimmable" LED halogen-like reflector bulbs I'll be buying will be the most costly part of the lighting. Hopefully I'll choose good quality bulbs and they'll live up to the claim of lasting 15+ years.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.