Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: found a beautiful lake in veracruz
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 06:26 PM
found a beautiful lake in veracruz

[img][/img]

the name of this lake is CATEMACO ... it is set in an extinct volcanic crater. the town is neat. the people here are friendly. the setting is nothing short of spectacular, with mountain all around and a natural preserve and birds birds birds.

[img][/img]

getting here was a definite challenge but here we are !!

CATEMACO LAKE IN VERCRZ, mainland mexico

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 06:55 PM

I believe I've been there a very long time ago. And I liked it as much as you did. It was raining when we drove past it and the children used those giant banana tree leaves as umbrellas.

For some I reason I recall having a soup with snook as the main ingredient somewhere in that area. But snook are a saltwater fish so it couldn't have been at the lake.

One of our great finds in that area was the scissor tailed flycatcher. They are everywhere. Just look at the telephone wires.

scissortailedflycatcher.jpg - 49kB
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2011 at 07:01 PM

skipjack, thanks for the pic of that amazing bird !! we are still here and i am trying to get my husband to hang out for another day !! tomorrow, I will definitely keep an eye out for that beaut - eee - fullll ssisssortail. the noise all the birds make is unreal - I lived in brasil for 18 years and I dont recall ever hearing birds carry on so much.

[img][/img]

[Edited on 2-18-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 12:22 PM

The first time I saw Catemaco was from a train compartment at sunup, beautiful. My wife and I were on sort of a second honeymoon going from Mexico City to Cozumel. I had just finished being shipwrecked for 3 months on the coast of Quintana Roo.

Be careful, Catemaco is also known as a center of brujeria. Several practicing brujos and curanderos.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 01:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TdfYhDDbLU

Mystery solved!!
Now I know where this song comes from!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 01:26 PM

Veracruz is different than many other parts of Mexico. It is tropical and Caribbean in character. Men wear mostly white with Panama Hats. Lots of Marimba bands and fried bananas.

I saw the biggest rats there I have ever seen. They were Norwegian Water Rats that had scurried off the ships and were running around all around me. I had to do the hot foot to keep from getting my ankles bitten, or so I thought. It was pretty creepy.:o

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 08:31 PM

rats ???? i haven't seen any. i havent even seen any roaches and i tried to pysche myself up to be prepared for them since i knew we were coming to a subtropical area (i am REALLY afraid of roaches)

do you mean the capital city toners .... we shall be going tomorrow ....

here in Catemaco, there are no panama hats but lots of fried bananas so I am in heaven hahaha

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.