BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: ATV's at the East Cape...yes or no?
Yes! Shut down the beach to ATV's. --- 14 (48.28%)
-- 0 (0%)
No. Not a problem. Let 'em ride. --- 15 (51.72%)
-- 0 (0%)
-- 0 (0%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ATV's at the East Cape...yes or no?
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 12:00 PM
ATV's at the East Cape...yes or no?

On recent visits to the East Cape I've heard much talk of banning ATV's from the beaches and restricting their use to the dirt roads. The logistics of enforcing such a ban aside...Do you think ATV's should be kept off the beaches at the East Cape ( or anywhere in Baja )?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 01:01 PM

Whos going to ban them? last i hear the federal goverment is incapable of banning anything.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 01:24 PM

just my dos centovios here, but....I just hate the racket, I would also like to see the 24/7 generators gone.:)....I won't name, names here, but, one of the most nasty (I know!) "Baja" annoing guys, is the worst abuser!.....but, it's "okay" it's just Baja.......Sheesh!
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 02:06 PM
they are banned

As the law reads ALL vehicles of any kind are not allowed on the beaches in all of mexico. It is a federal law. Now which area wants to enforce it is another story. They have been banned from the beaches around cabo for quite a while now. As far as the east cape goes I think a seasional ban would be nice so the turtle nests could go undisturbed. fishin rich
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 04:46 PM

I have taken our atv's down and feel it is not a problem as long as you use them responsibly. There are plenty of places to go and things to see other than kicking up dirt and noise right on the beach. The canyons and washes are fantastic on an atv. As for the law or concern about breaking one, you can be cited for just about anything on any given day...It depends on attitude, yours and the policia...
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 07:05 AM

i think it depends on were your at , out in front of the hotels in cabo then no, racing around were there are lots of people hanging then no but in the middle of no were or were you use them as a utillity then yes! we take ours all over down there and i think that most of the people that are against them are the one who dont have them. when you can launch your boat with a 3000 dollar quad in stead of putting your 30000 dollar truck in the water then they become invaluble. to each there own in the baja.:coolup:
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 07:30 AM

From Western Outdoor News

EAST CAPE, MEXICO: Continued reports were received about ATV vehicles running over nesting sea turtle sites on East Cape beaches, an illegal practice that is apparently being allowed by local authorities. "The situation has become out of control. The beach has become a race track," one East Cape resident said. "A turtle doesn't have a chance around here. Everybody agrees it is against the law. It is nuts
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 06:40 PM

sorry tommy but this report doesnt just pinpoint ATVS, i have spent many a years on the east cape and it is not the atvs killing the turtle because the foot print from an atv is less then a human, horse, or dog on the beach. the problem is when they hatch they run to the water but because of the footprints and tire prints they roll over on there backs and become food for prediters. the tire prints are from trucks and some dune buggies and other vehicals. yes we leave prints but i have found more turtles on there backs because of human prints then any vehical tracks. mostly i have seen locals down harvesting them for food then any problem with people rideing on the beach. my experiance comes from years of hanging on the beaches fron san jose to cabo pulmo and have rarly seen them having problems running through tire tracks. i thing that this is a good argument for the rich gringos buying property on the beach down there that do not want anybody on there beaches in front of there houses. remember how many mexicans are on the beaches at easter and neither the gringos nor the locals(and feds) ever complain. till the feds kick me off( tho they usually just kick back and have a beer with me) or they fence it off i will ride the beaches tho allways have respect for everyone on the beach.:coolup:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Whos going to ban them? last i hear the federal goverment is incapable of banning anything.

Not incapable but unwilling. A Mexican Marine with an automatic weapon is quite capable of enforcing the law.

Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 08:17 PM

I dont own a ATV But I do know that we up north are over run with rules and regs. It's amazing to me how people (if left alone) do the right thing. Everyone in they'r heart knows they cant just pummel a beach with out messing up tommorow. Only a real heartless fool would do such a thing. I say,let them ride, the riders will be resonsable for what they do. #%^ it up and it's all over. Be cool and ride forever. The other riders can be judge and jury. Hang the turds that abuse!
Simple but O so effective

All that wonder are not lost
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
till the feds kick me off( tho they usually just kick back and have a beer with me) or they fence it off i will ride the beaches tho allways have respect for everyone on the beach.:coolup:

How are you "respecting" those on the beach who don't want you riding? Or "respecting" Mexican law which says that you can't?

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 07:00 AM

because the only ones that dont want you on the beach are gringos. i once had a lady chase me down south of BOLA to tell me that your not allowed to drive an ATV on the beach because its a marine sanctuary, i turned around to head back following her on her ATV and saw her drive up her nice long concreat boat launch ramp poured all over those lovely rocks and animals liveing underneath them. alot of the roads on the pacific side use the beach as part of the road, these areas are not accesable from the main graded road so i consider it the road . its the law not to drive on the beach but it is allso the law not to speed down there but we all do. my quads are utillity only not those race ready ones and thats how i use them but i am not against anyone ripping up the beach if its in the proper place:coolup:
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
because the only ones that dont want you on the beach are gringos.

I believe there is some truth to the idea that a beach ban is a largely gringo driven idea. It should be noted also that most of the ATV's on the beach at the East Cape are owned or rented by gringos. Not to say there is no Mexican opposition to ATV's on the beach... take for example the boat trailers strung across the beach in front of the Buena Vista Beach Resort owned by Chuy Valdez. That's a pretty clear statement against ATV's on the beach to say the least.

[Edited on 8-26-2004 by Cardon Man]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 03:18 PM
I own atc's

and I have owned and ridden them for years. All over Baja and more.
In my opinion, they have no business whatsoever in populated tourist areas. Especially considering they are usually being ridden by people unfamiliar with them or drunk vacationers.
I have seen way more accidents occur because of these two reasons than anything else. And there are plenty of other reasons as well.
They are fun and are almost mandatory for some explorations but, to ride them on land appreciated for it's beauty and now tourism as in (a populated beach area in the east cape area) is pretty friggen rude.
And besides, riding on the beach in a torist area is pretty boring considering all the other possibilities available where you are not imposing on or disturbing anyone.
Unless of course, you are just trying to show off!:lol:
bajawander

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
because the only ones that dont want you on the beach are gringos.

That sounds about right..

A lot of these people think they are living in some private community just like back in Orange County.

[Edited on 8-28-2004 by bajawander]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.