Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: squeak squeak.....grind grind....wham whamo
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 04:29 PM
squeak squeak.....grind grind....wham whamo

Before traveling the distanced dusty roads of Baja....do run your truck through a good ol spot check for mechanical issues that may need fix'in. I did. Radiator overflow hose replaced. New complete brake work. New tires. General diagnostic.

Hell....I could had flown to Tulume for this sort of money!

Outside of Mexicali.....squeak.
And then there was more squeak.
Not enough? Lets add grind. Then real grinding!

By the time I got to San Felipe....the brakes were 90% gone. The Sacramento car repair messed up big time. Some how.
Now in Campos Ocotillo....I wondered what hundreds I'll be giving up. I get a "good" recommendation from Gloria, our neighbor. "He is very honest, speaks English, .....I am very happy with this mechanic"says Gloria. The next morning I follow her in.

Serious issues, and no parts avail. "Come back tomorrow a.m. and I'll have it up and running by 5" says the mechanic.

Back home now and Chuck from the San Felipe Food Bank stops by. A Nomad here that goes by the name of CDB. Offers help in use of a car. Wow. Then later Lee of the BN name Baja.BBQ comes by. Offers more help. End of the day, Ron swings by and tells be that he'll be driving in behind me to drop off the truck the next day.....and to pick me up! Ron is BN's akshadow .

Next day is here. Car parts are in. WHOA! I cant get a price on cost repairs from this guy...but what's the hell. All day I am thinking 5oo-8oo buckaroos. I'll have to call DavidK and ask him if he wants to buy my ownership of Shell Island...to pay for the repairs. Cash David...cash!

4:30 pm Judgment Day. May the Gods have mercy on me.
$200.00!!!!!!!!!!! I thought my hearing aid was whispering false numbers to me! $200.00 And the truck worked perfectly....in fact...better than ever. I gave him an extra $40.00 to buy dinner out... for him and family.

So what am I saying about all this? If you break down in San Felipe...use this guy:

Taller Barney
prop. J. Efrain Quijada Fimbres
USA 01152686
Mex 577-17-91
Av Mar Amarillo Y Mazatlan #443 SF, B. CFA

Write this down and stick it into your glove compartment of the car.

mech.jpg - 48kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 04:39 PM

Reminds me of a time coming down into santa Rosalia. I lost my front brakes about a 1/3 the way down...so I ground them the other 2/3rds down. I was lucky to find new pads in town and did a quick front brake pad replacement in the el morro parking lot where we stayed.

It pays to carry a full set of tools, impact wrenches and lights. Job took all of an 1 hr in the dark.

Luckily for you...you got hooked up and had fun doing so. That is a great price. what all did they do for that price? just replace pads and turn rotors/drums? What parts were replaced.

The big difference in baja is the shop rate. In the states it is roughly $100/hr...here in baja it is much cheaper.

By the way are you rolling that green manx? or the white chopped bug?
:lol:

[Edited on 4-4-2011 by fishabductor]
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 04:51 PM

we had the same experience in Rosarito when our tranny was slipping-fellow who fixed it charged next to nothing compared to Cali-love happy endings!
CDB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 04:58 PM

Efrain is my go to mechanic in San Felipe. Prices are fair and he does excellent work. He will even tell you when the car just isn't worth it instead of taking a lot of your money like some of the others in town will.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 06:19 PM

at one time there was a thread listing mekaniks all over the peninsula. maybe a good time to resurrect it, or start a new one if it can't be found......

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 06:34 PM

Nancy and Richard also had brake trouble after getting back from visiting with McFez in Puertocitos and guess who fixed us?? You got it Efrain!!! He was awesome. He did it on a Friday afternoon! We needed it done so we could leave on Sunday which we did. What a deal! And a nice guy. Nancy
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 06:55 PM

I do most of my own mechanical work and it bit me this year.

I normally pull off the wheels and check the brakes to see how much pads are left before I leave home. This year it appeared that I had over 60% so nothing to worry about. When I got to La Paz, I heard the first noise.

After pulling off the right front it still appeared that I had almost 60% on the outside pad. Then I checked the inside pad and it was gone. The calipers where not adjusting correctly and the inside pad got all the wear.

Next time I will not be lazy and check both the inside and outside pads.

A new set of pads and some brake grease seems to have fixed the problem.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbacc
Nancy and Richard also had brake trouble after getting back from visiting with McFez in Puertocitos and guess who fixed us?? You got it Efrain!!! He was awesome. He did it on a Friday afternoon! We needed it done so we could leave on Sunday which we did. What a deal! And a nice guy. Nancy

Get out of here!!!! Did I bring a "brake bug" to the party? :lol:
Yeah...Efrain was a funny guy too...cracked a lot of jokes.

wiltonh .....I wish I was a mechanic. I didnt even know what brake pads looked like till last week :o

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 07:52 PM

Efrain is KING! He's been part of my familia for more than 20 years. Both of his kids went to Mexican Universities as he's worked hard to make it happen for a very long time. About a month ago, I stopped by just to say HI and he had just returned from his 25 year anniversary dinner with just he and his wife. Efrain said he was very happy in his life and was blessed with great friends.

Efrain is top shelf person! I'm glad he made another person believe in people!

Thank you for posting!

Tim

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 11:09 PM

I'm not selling Shell Island, at ANY price! :lol::rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.