Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Gal Wanderin'Around Oaxaca #3
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 07:32 PM
Baja Gal Wanderin'Around Oaxaca #3

As you can see I got properly chastised for my tiny little mistake!
Loved the humming bird and Don Jimmy bit.

"Well, It is all fine, except one minor detail, I am not trying to make it on $5 DLLs. a day, but $35 DLLs. a day, and that is ohhh so easy to spend, even not paying rent. My silkscreen class alone is costing $50 DLLs. a week. Nothing is all that cheap about Oaxaca anymore. Of course, there are some major clean up changes in the culture from back in the "ol days" when one could live good on $5 bucks a day. The public bathrooms except in the village markets (which can be gagging awful by mid day), are usually spotless, and not only do they now sport toilet paper but even paper towels to dry ones hands on, which is a total change around from the 70?s. Although of course, I still care a spare in my bag and expect that I always will.

A comida corrida in a cheap place is running $35 pesos. Although, I can get two huge tacos with a fruit flavored agua for about $20 pesos in the one little taco joint that I sent you a picture of. City buses and the bus out to Tule cost only $3.5 pesos. To go to the cine cost $37 pesos, which ain't cheap when you consider what the average income is here.

The room where I now live is accessed by a caracol steel staircase that winds up against a giant banana tree which reaches all the way up to my 2nd floor room. I must admit, it does take some manipulating getting myself and a load of stuff up and down it, reminds me of my fruit picking days, kind of like being a kid, climbing up and down the pickin ladder again.

Anyway, since I have been here, there has been a few visits from a humingbird, which make me think of Dad, and how they always came in hordes to visit him. So, I was joking with my landlady that surly this little ol hummingbird was the Ol Man?s spirit checking up on me, and you know; she said no doubt that is so, as she has never had hummingbirds in her yard before, jejeje, sounds like a Don Jimmy tall tale to me."

This will have to do until next Tuesday as we are heading down south for some R&R.
No walking, just loafing at the Pyramid Resort with Keri & Mike.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 09:04 PM

Well, have a good time and we'll be waiting for an update, both or your visit with Keri and Mike (tell them hello) and for more fetching words from Sara.

Bernie, I have learned from the stuff I write, and over time, that it is not for everyone. I write for my own pleasure and hope that others enjoy it, but I have learned that if I write stuff that is intended as commercial I'm not happy with it. So I write for me. Of course I wouldn't post my stuff if I wasn't somewhat encouraged by others.

But this isn't about me, it's about Sara. She is writing with a greater depth than average, looking into scenes and questioning and evoking feeling and making observations about innuendos.

Some readers just want to know where the fish are or who has the best taco and a good hotel, and that's a major point of these Baja boards and it?s good. A few of us are just attempting to entertain ourselves and others via an old or current memory or a thought- or sense- or socially-provoking moment.

Those, in the extremes, are the two styles, at least in my mind. I strive for the latter; it's what makes me enjoy my own work, even though some of it is poor. Please convey to Sara these thoughts. Write from the heart with warmth ('cause that's what she has). A great fishing report or a post on the latest race or a fiery contemporary issue might get a thousand hits while others get only a few. We don't write for the number of hits we get (although it's very rewarding when we stumble onto something that folks like). We just write what we see and feel and keep ourselves happy and hope we are entertaining.

Her thoughtful insight is inspiring. Write on.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-31-2004 at 04:44 PM
Mike

Keri and Mike said to say high. We had a ball at the Pyramid resort but unfortunately we had to re-cross the border.

Met friends of theirs from Mulege by the name of Herman and Tayna Mauer. Both a great pair. He first drove in the Baja Race in 1967 and told a bunch of wonderful stories. They all talked about Baja Patty. Fun--fun.
You have to go a long way to find an other couple who can tell stories like Keri & Mike.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2004 at 04:50 PM

Glad you all had a good time. That's where I met Jimmy Smith the very first time. Now we're remembering him and reading Sara's words.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 11:09 AM
Thank You Bernie & Mike

You know Mike, reading your post on the old Amigo's board was a prime motavater to get me posting over there, I do want to thank you for the inspearation back then and your thought provoking stories now.

And Bernie, well Bernie, what can I say, may the powers that be always bless you for the friendship you have always extended me, certainly all the letters that have since insued are due to your reaching out and encouraging me in the Jimmyisum days, how can I ever thank you enough for all your encouragment, (except maybe finally learn to spell, jeje). Saludos, Sara

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.