Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Kenai Peninsula Vacation
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 12:02 PM

Speaking of rivers? The John Day in eastern Oregon, runs thru some wild and tangled country. Even has a few chinook spawning on it.;)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 12:11 PM

Please post a trip report on Prince South Wales, Iflyfish.

I've had my eye on that island for several years now. Seriously. The attraction, as I see it, is that you can ferry your car over and drive the roads (paved and logging) pretty much anywhere. It doesn't get the pressure of Kodiak Island whose road system is very small. I had to get up at dawn over there to get to fish to fish that weren't spooked. Sometimes in the rain.

It's my understanding that the silvers come in pretty good on some rivers at PSW. But a lot of the people at the shows try to steer you to the saltwater ... The place is also known for good sea run cutthroats but they're on the small size.

So I'm really curious on your take of the island.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 01:09 PM

Igor Iflyfish has been chasing Kamloops in BC over the years,you should look into BC some time,up the Okanogan drainage area,really something up that way also.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 01:58 PM

Rob,

I've got the pictures from up there as well. Loved that country. Could do a thread on that trip as well. Timo1 and Barbarena are really fortunate to live up there. 40-50 fish days on dry flies on top. And that was between 6:30PM-10:30PM. All rainbows. Of course, it wasn't like that every day.

If there is one thing that really stands out about that part of the world it's the loons. To me they symbolize BC. Every evening it would start. Reverberating from one end of the lake to the other. Makes me smile here at the office just thinking about it.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 04:15 PM

I have a guide friend on the island. There are 5 Haida tribes that have joined their villages on the south of the island and have a week long gathering the last week of July. The Haida's were a mighty tribe and feared all the way from the Queen Charlotte Islands to San Diego as they were notorious slavers. They of course dropped that venture, at least I hope so, and they are a fascinating people with great carvers, weavers, mask makers, dancers etc. We hope to be there during the meeting of their clans.
I will target rainbow, though will no doubt chase the salmon, halibut, shrimp, dungenes crab and razor clams. I will no doubt look like the Michelan Man when I get back. If the Sea Run Cutthroats are funning then they too will be on the agenda.
I have fished BC for over 35 years and it is indeed a paradise for the fly fisherman interested in Kamloops trout. I have personaly landed a ten pounder on my five weight fly rod!
Enough! Always great to share yarns with Nomad Amigo's.
I will let you know how it goes Skip, if you decide to go then introductions are in order.

IflyfishwhenIcan
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 04:28 PM

the searuns are not necessarily that small off the island, amigo....have trashed some really nice fish along those beaches and stream mouths over the years....ya know, you are in our area now so stop by sequim on your way back...you can take the ferry from victoria to our place in sequim...we're easy to find...purple haze ....m.....AND...we are birding freaks!...m.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 04:34 PM
Dinner for Two...and Tales for a Few

Spinning with tiny Mepps spinner.

Gunnison River when we were touring the San Juan Mts & the Million Dollar Highway near Oaray, Colorado. Good spinning fun, although Gunny's not the same as Montana or Alaska...or even BC. But it sure beat sitting in the Fiver that afternoon. :rolleyes:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 05:40 PM

Igor a trip report on BC would be welcome anytime,which brings back the time I used my Dads favorite fly rod,instead of flys I was trolling a big Flatfish,kams loved those things,as you remember we never used a motor he said they made to much noise,so there I was just rowing around just enough to keep that flatfish working.

Problem no rod holder on the boat so I was sitting on it just taking in that pretty spot when I saw this big beautiful Kam sky it straight up behind the boat,problem he had my flatfish in his mouth,out goes Dads favorite outfit :o so there I sat watching that fish jumping down the shore line towing the rig,I followed him a ways but.

I can,t begin to tell you the hell I caught for that stunt:lol:
Do the report Igor we would love it.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 08:22 PM

Hey, it's fun thinking back about the bonehead moves you did as a kid.

I don't know how many Tom McGuane readers we have here. In one of his short stories he writes about how, during a duck hunting trip, he burned his dad's favorite rifle for firewood. It made sense. They were cold in a duck blind, I guess, and there was no wood around. Can you imagine anything dumber. And yet, obviously, he's a bright man.

Actually, Rob, I lost a rod that way in baja just over a year ago. And had never done that before. It happened so fast.

Flatfish worked well up in that country but have grown out of popularity, it seems.

I know where you got that large rainbow, Iflyfish. But I'm not telling. :no::no::no:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

You got this kid hooked on fishing! Great shot!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 07:51 AM

Great post Igor. Can we see more?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.