Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tile stores La Paz?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 04:50 PM
Tile stores La Paz?

Any suggestions for tile resources in La Paz? I'll be looking for floor tile (porcelain/ceramic and natural stone)- not saltillo. All I can find online is an Interceramic store on Forjadores. Is there anything else?

Gracias.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 04:56 PM

There is one on the left touting factory prices as you head up Colosio towards City Club

In Memory of E-57
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 06:15 PM

You have a friend with about 8-10 various tile samples from InterCeramic scattered all over her kitchen counter at the moment! But I gotta get them returned before you could make it by!:lol::lol: InterCeramic probably has the widest variety in stock, Porcelanite & VitroMex probably just about tie for second, after that it'd be Uget's, but she primarialy specializes in Talavara & more rustico tiles. Once you've gone into 2-3 stores, if you're not looking at the same materials over & over again, it certainly feels that way! Then there are the granite & other natural stone places. InterCeramic does have carry some natural stone products.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 07:03 PM

http://www.quintalupitatalavera.com/master/?pag=quintalupita

Probably not what you are looking for Ola, but they do have lots of beautiful talavera and saltillo, not sure about stone, ceramic or porcelain.

Prices are good and the guys are helpful.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 09:48 AM

Thanks, we'll stick to Forjadores and the other main blvds Kate mentioned.

Paula, Quinta Lupita carries the roof tile we'll be using and I do want to see what else they have.

You're right Longlegs, this type of Mex porcelain tile starts to look all the same when you're shopping, and shopping for tile in our price range is booorrring. I did some tile shopping in CA recently and found that my 1st flooring choice of tumbled marble or limestone runs $18-40 sf :o .

At that cost I'd have to sit by the front door and dispense booties to anyone who dared enter, and go on patrols to make sure no one tried to eat or spill in the house. Home tours would be conducted from the exterior of the building. "Imagine if you turn left and go up those stairs, you'll come to a bedroom-here's a photo for you".

Not sure what we're going to do for flooring yet- maybe a combo of colored concrete with tile or stone borders. Most importantly, it's got to be easy to clean and durable.

We've got a long way to go before the final flooring goes in but the guys are moving along quickly and we'll need to know the thickness of the flooring soon for the stair construction. BTW, we have footings- yeh hoo!

Today we're going to do something way more fun than looking at boring tile. Boulder shopping! (Now that's the stuff I've always dreamed about when thinking about building a Mexico casa). Going to take the buggy up some trails to look for BIG boulders that will be incorporated in to the patio. The dozer and dumptruck will go out and pick them up later. "Placement" of the boulders by the dozer, so close to the new footings and block work, will be ahh... interesting.

I'll post some pictures if all goes well with the landscape rock placement. If we experience any runaway giant boulders, photos may be blurry as we're running for our lives.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 11:02 AM

WOW!!!!! :O:O

I see progress!! Real actual construction is happening! There's hope that you just might get to live in that structure during your lifetime! Very creative way to reduce cement cost by incorporating big boulders into the design! Great concept!! Just make sure they don't place any too close to the structure to interfere with finish plaster....but I know you've already thunk that out! But why do I think that "boulder shopping" might be just as frustrating as tile shopping? Getting that dozer driver to understand why it's important to you that the boulders are in the same condition upon placement as when you found them is going to be real fun! :(

Tile selection is a pain in the butt! I know that InterCeramic has an annual sale....but I can't remember exactly when it is.

Keep the camera batteries charged at all times & use it often! Take pics of the boulder placement whether it goes smoothly or not! Designing a better mousetrap is always easier with pics of first generation mousetraps! :lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-1-2011 by longlegsinlapaz]
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 11:07 AM

Dulce, I've been curious where your house is located. 4th or 5th point with an unobstructed view?? Somewhere in Comondu, of course. Boulders around here are getting popular and prices rising. Midnite Boulder Supply? Looking good!!:biggrin::cool: Tio
texascarwasher
Junior Nomad

Mood: Vive La Paz

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 06:33 PM

we just redid our kitchen and looked all over La Paz for tile. We looked at Vitromex, the Piso store at the arroyo on Colosio, and at Interceramic. The best selection was at Interceramic on Forjadores. Ask for Monica.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 06:58 PM

Near Applebies on the malecon, take the Y , opposite the sea. Find Uguet there on the right. Let me know how it goes.

P.S. I've found stuff I like there for years.

[Edited on 5-2-2011 by bajacalifornian]

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 07:35 PM

Thanks Tejano, we'll start at Interceramic since you've already done the running around.

Bajacalifornian, I'll add Uguet to the list too.

Tio, u2u'd.

[Edited on 5-2-2011 by oladulce]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 09:07 PM

http://uguettileslapaz.blogspot.com/

Uguett moved a while back. It's a nice store, similar to La Quinta in style.
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 09:41 PM
Tile

The guy who built our house likes Daltile. On Abasolo?
Porcelain is worth the $ in my opinion. Hard to break. I have it in my house in CA, dropped wrenches, wine bottles, scuba tanks, holds up very well.

*Be the man your dog thinks you are
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2011 at 07:14 PM
Interceramic tile store in Loreto?

Interceramic had the best selection of floor tile on our trip to La Paz and the lady there mentioned that there is a store in Loreto also. The Interceramic website doesn't mention a Loreto shop and I can't find any info. Is there a store in Loreto?
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2011 at 08:23 PM

There is an Interceramic as you come in from the highway on the main drag (Salvatierra?). It's a block or so east of Hacienda Suites hotel and Domingo's Place restaurant. The Comex paint store is on the southeast corner of the block, Interceramic a few doors west.

Or watch for the Hotel Santa Fe~~ it is big and white~~ go a bit farther.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 04:58 PM

For a really good selection of natural stone tiles there is a store called Natural Stone in San Jose Del Cabo.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
For a really good selection of natural stone tiles there is a store called Natural Stone in San Jose Del Cabo.

Monoloco, do they have a good supply on hand? If we made the trip down to SJdC it would be nice to come away with a purchase on the first trip if we found something.

That's one thing I discovered about Interceramic in La Paz. They don't carry anything in stock, it all has to be ordered which means another trip to place and order and a 3rd trip to pick it up. That's a lot of diesel $$ from our location.

Thanks for the tip- I'll look in to it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.