BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Risk in visiting Mexico is low, if you take care... San Francisco Chronicle news article
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 06:44 PM
Risk in visiting Mexico is low, if you take care... San Francisco Chronicle news article

''You are twice as likely to be murdered in Alta California as in Baja California Sur. What the sensational headlines don't tell you is that much of Mexico is just as safe as your own backyard.''

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/29/...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 07:48 PM

Thanks for sharing Lee! Reason may still win out. I'm sharing this on Facebook and with other friends who are afraid for us being in BCS or even Baja in general.

And you might want to fix your link above. Only part is active so it doesn't go to the right place.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 06:52 AM

(Thanks for the head's up -- couldn't get the link to work either so here's the print out.)

Risk in visiting Mexico is low, if you take care

Christine Delsol, Special to The Chronicle

Christine Delsol / Special to The Chronicle
Colorful Cabo Pulmo is a resort town in Baja California Sur, a Mexican state that has never seen the levels of violence of its northern neighbor.
View Larger Image
MORE CRIME NEWS

Crime Scene 05.01.11
Investigators suspect Utah doctor killed wife 04.29.11
Newark man charged with killing mother of his kids 04.30.11
Daily headlines about shootouts, mass graves and beheadings have put one question ahead of all others for travelers considering a trip to Mexico: Will I be safe?

The short answer is yes, if you choose your destination wisely.

In the escalating violence that has racked Mexico since President Felipe Calderon launched an offensive against the country's drug-trafficking organizations in December 2006, the Baja peninsula hit the no-go list early on because Tijuana was the first flash point. U.S. tourists have avoided the entire peninsula in droves.

In fact, Baja California Sur has never seen the violence that shook its northern neighbor, in a region 900 miles distant. You are twice as likely to be murdered in Alta California as in Baja California Sur. What the sensational headlines don't tell you is that much of Mexico is just as safe as your own backyard.

The common wisdom about sticking to tourist destinations, though, has been undermined in the past year by drug-related shootouts in Acapulco, a hand grenade in a popular nightclub in a wealthy Guadalajara neighborhood and muggings and shootings near Mazatlan's cruise port. The violence has moved closer to tourists, which is unnerving at best and dangerous at worst.

The targets are still rival cartel members, government authorities and journalists. Drug traffickers would prefer to avoid the heat that comes with incurring the wrath of the United States or disrupting the tourist industry, because it interferes with their bottom line. The organizations have come down hard on members who commit indiscriminate and widely publicized acts of violence such as the Falcon Lake shooting and disappearance of U.S. citizen David Hartley in September.

So why is the violence creeping closer to tourists now? The reasons are many and complex, but boil down to a perhaps inevitable progression of turmoil within the country's drug-trafficking network that has been simmering for more than a decade.

The drug gangs are not targeting tourists now any more than they ever were. And despite headlines that make it sound as if the entire country were in flames, the spectacularly grisly violence that feeds the country's death toll takes place primarily in nine of Mexico's 31 states (32 including the Federal District).

In January, the Mexican government released the first comprehensive database of drug-related deaths. In addition to the alarming numbers in those states - 2010 murder rates ranging from 40 to 297.5 deaths per 100,000 population in states along the U.S. border and those where marijuana and heroin are produced - much of the country has modest homicide rates.

The deadliest states are Chihuahua, Sinaloa, Durango, Guerrero, Baja California (Norte), Sonora, Tamaulipas, Nayarit and Michoacan. Elsewhere, it's a more palatable rate of 1 to 29 per 100,000. Mexico City's drug-related homicide rate, for example, was 7.4 per 100,000. To put it into perspective, Washington, D.C.'s homicide rate was 24 (down from 31.5 in 2009). California's rate for 2009, the latest year for which the FBI's Uniform Crime Report is available, was 5.3; the U.S. national average was 5.0.

If you're looking for the safest places in Mexico, Yucatan and Tlaxcala states had less than 1.5 deaths per 100,000 population in 2010 - comparable to Minnesota and Vermont.

Puebla, Queretaro, Baja California Sur, Campeche, Veracruz, Hidalgo, Chiapas, San Luis Potosi, the Federal District (Mexico City), Tabasco, Zacatecas and Guanajuato also recorded single-digit rates.

That's a whole lot of Mexico.

This article appeared on page M - 3 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/29/...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 07:33 AM

That is a bit much, planning a vacation by death statics...

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 08:35 AM

thanks ridge, amazing how that works...

Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 09:30 AM

Great to see some good news on Mexico travel for change.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 09:37 AM

I told the head cheese where I work that I will no longer be going to Mexico to conduct investigations for them unless they give me a million dollar life insurance policy with a written and notarized guarantee that they would pay any ransom demand if I was taken by kidnappers. I used to go into several Mexican states where the drug corridors are located where tourists usually do not go. Many times I have gone where I need to get to on horseback or four-wheel drive vehicles. It’s a huge probability that the people I contact and/or their family members are involved in the drug or kidnapping trade.

Pretty soon there will not be a place to go on a picnic in Mexico where the stench of rotting human flesh will not be in the air.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.