BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Pompano - RV Trip: BAJA - UP NORTH.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-25-2011 at 11:38 AM

Thats some beautiful country...

And the "horns" on the jeep are great...

That must have been some ride in your jeep in 1990... looks like your ready for the weather... cool shot and story ............... well... guess I will just keep watching what you continue to put up... all good..

Thanks again..

[Edited on 5-26-2011 by wessongroup]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 11:06 AM

as usual, love the history and the nature and the stories ....

looks like too much rain .... amazing how parts of the world get too much n others, none at all.

have a safe trip and keep the reports comin' at us. thanks for taking the time to do it all.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 5-28-2011 at 08:28 AM

Roger. Great pic's, and reporting. Keep up the great work!!!! Your right about 'locals brag about their pizza". We brag about Abbey's Pizza started in Roseburg Oregon by Abbey Broughton years ago. And it's still one of the best. And I still taste the 'worse' pizza. Came out of a box from a frozen pizza case. Tasted like cardboard. Hmmmmm???????? Now I'm wondering if maybe I had eaten the box rather than the pizza??????? That was a very busy beer consumption day!!!!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-28-2011 at 05:01 PM
UP NORTH TRIP ... A SLIGHT DETOUR....

I'm on a short leave from the Up North trip to make a slight detour to inspect my old and much loved Duk Shak on the Dakota/Saskatchewan border. This is a favorite cottage where I get to watch…and hunt…the Central Flyway’s waterfowl winging their way south every fall…what a sight to behold…one of the finest in nature. Millions of migratory birds stop for 2 months or more at the huge surrounding Federal Refuge. My duk shak sits on the inside corner of it’s L-shaped perimeter.

I will further digress with some pertinent facts as to why I have this place...and some other un-pertinent stuff, too. :rolleyes:

J. Clark Salyer National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) is located along the Souris River in north-central North Dakota. This 58,700-acre Refuge extends south from the Canadian border for approximately 45 miles and is the largest refuge in North Dakota. The diverse habitat types found on the refuge - mixed grass prairie, river valley, marshes, sandhills, and woodlands - support an abundant variety of wildlife.
The Refuge serves as an important feeding and resting area for hundreds of thousands of waterfowl which annually migrate through the Central Flyway. The refuge has developed into one of the most important duck production areas in the United States and is a favorite spot for birds of all descriptions to stop during their migrations north and south. More than 300 species of birds have been observed here since the refuge was established. Nearly 125 species nest here.

Gadwall, blue-winged teal, mallard, and Canada goose are the most numerous nesting waterfowl.

Many species of shorebirds and grebes, the white pelican, sandhill crane, lark bunting, longspurs, and the sparrows- including Baird's and LeConte's, are among the list that take summer residence on the refuge. The Refuge is designated as a Globally Important Bird Area and is a regional site in the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network.
Truly a birder’s paradise.
Managing upland areas for waterfowl nesting habitat has also benefited upland game birds. The sharp-tailed grouse, ring-necked pheasant, gray partridge, ruffed grouse, and wild turkey are all occupants of the refuge.

Many interesting mammals can also be found on the refuge. Animals such as beaver, mink, raccoon, and weasel can be found at home in the marshes. The higher ground, which includes the sandhills area of the refuge, harbors such animals as the white-tailed deer, moose, coyote, red fox, badger, porcupine, and rabbit

I enjoy decoying honkers and greenheads....finest kind! These days I shoot more with my camera than with my shotgun.

This is pothole country… better known as the Duck Hatchery. Here Co-Pilot helps to fatten up some mallards for the coming fall...yeah, sure…!

Snow geese often crowd the skies in migrations of 5-6 million birds…high numbers in the last few years. The snows have been over-populating thier tundra nesting grounds of late. Game biologists are in a quandary to find a solution to the over-nesting dangers. We try do our part…

The upland bird hunting is superb also…lots of pheasants, sharptail, partridge, turkey, and ruffed grouse…sorry, too for north for quail.

Nothing so exciting as a pointing dog....then the FLUSH!

Meet JET.

THE WORK!
I have to take some time out to replace sump pump, water heater, etc. damaged during when the basement flooded!!...then clean up some yard storm damage, and finally draw up plans for a remodel of the utilities...meaning: ‘Put everything above ground level’. ...because...

Damned if the same thing didn't happen last year!!

Guess I might as well add an after-the-hunt c-cktail porch for mi amigos. :rolleyes:

Did I mention this spring has been VERY wet in these parts?

Several roads are flooded or nearly so...

There 3 possible roads to reach the Duk Shak.

One is still unpassable..

Another is still ‘passable’ ….for the time being.

A week ago, this road was covered with 3 feet of flood water….okay now at 3 inches.

This greenie loves it, though! Hope you find some corn this fall, mi quacko…eat hearty...and FATTEN UP!

*To be continued from another location:

Next stop will be at the Minot airport where I will depart for San Diego…to return with pickup and Yarcraft backtroller boat. Then it’s time to button up the Duk Shak and continue the Road Trip to another cottage further Up North. Catch some truly great table fish …cold water caught, golden fried & delicious fillets…of.. walleyes!.

The river/lake here is at flood stage now. If it rises much more, I'll just unhook the walleyes into the frypan. Would you care for extra-crispy or regular?

Tally Ho, Watson....the games afoot!

[Edited on 5-29-2011 by Pompano]

[Edited on 10-17-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-28-2011 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
*In the above photo Toneart and others might recognize a certain person...:rolleyes: He knows that this fellow is no longer welcome to hunt with me..and why. Hey, he put his foot into it this time...deep...and is really making national news now, right Tony? ;)

Schwarzenegger???

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-29-2011 at 08:51 AM

Really nice to read and see what you get to do... along with so many folks you do things with...

Thanks again for sharing so much with us...

Really liked your ranches location .... that is really some area ... had no idea...

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.