Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Trip Report
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 10:49 AM
Baja Trip Report

My son and I did a one month fishing trip in the Santa Rosalia area recently. The following URL tells the whole story.

http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fishing_Tales/bajaAlex200...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 11:58 AM

That is a GREAT report.

Makes me want to go fishin' in Baja!!!

Lucky guys your son and you!

THANKS!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 01:15 PM
Awesome

Father and son bonding, baja, fishing, WOW! Nice report.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 05:57 PM
Rear View Mirror

As you can imagine accidents are a touchy subject.

Although I was not aware of the gent behind me I was very aware of my position in the road at that time. The road had no potholes and I was squarely in my lane. I was very surprised when he struck me and got really angry when he didn't stop after the accident. I caught up to him about 5 miles down the road and that's when he tells me that I drifted into the other lane. I didn't believe that and felt he was simply justifying his poor driving. Anyway, it's the start of the trip, there was no legal way to pursue the matter, so why dwell on the matter.

:D
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 07:04 PM

What an excellent trip report! Very well written, with just the right amount of suspense (broken motor) and what sounds a little like Mark Twain (biggest fish I've ever caught).
Thanks for sharing what sounds and looks like a trip that you and your boy will remember for some time to come.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

question.gif posted on 9-2-2004 at 08:30 AM
Fish Limits

Fifteen Dorado! Bet he didn't have a license either!
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 10:30 AM
Tuna Stick Read further

He said the fish were released above limits.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 11:30 AM
To Clarify about fish limits

Boyd filled an ice chest with dorado and never kept a single fish after that. He was down for 10-14 days. I don't know how he kept the fish fresh all that time.

My son and I kept 3 dorado during a month's trip. All pictures were taken of live fish that were released after the pictures were taken. We also kept 3 calico bass, 2 of which were given to our Mexican friends.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 12:27 PM
Illegal

Illegal, but common. The most common way of keeping fish in the RV parks I stay.

Another illegal and equally common practice is to keep all fish and distribute them to the local Mexicans in town. A misguided justification.

Still another illegal and less common practice is keep most quality fish and can them for home usage. These are usually the old timers that are having difficulty adjusting to the new reality of depleting stocks.
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 03:28 PM
motor trouble

Skipjack--nice report. I am leaving tomorrow for a month or so on the pacific side, just might have to try your calico hole. The proablem with your motor which appears to be a honda is the carberator float sticking. I ran the small hondas for many years and when the engine would not start like you explained I would remove the carb and bang it on the side of the boat loosining the stuck float, reinstall it and off I would go--worked every time. So try that next time it does not start. fishin rich
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 04:17 PM
Fishin Rich

Thanks a bunch, Fishin Rich.

That's the second time that has happened (once locally in Half Moon Bay) and both times I was at the oars. The first time I took it to my mechanic and it started right up, making me look like a fool. This last time it happened the camper checked the plugs, fuel filter without luck. He opened up the carb, found nothing, closed it and it started right up. It makes sense. Also, while testing the motor I found that no gas was getting to the plugs. I would crank the motor and they stayed dry. That also makes sense. I tell you it's a bit nerve racking when you don't understand the problem, but keep going out fully expecting that it could happen again.

One thing I've learned from the experience is that I am going to get me one of those VHF radios. The guys in camp have it switched on to an agreed upon channel and are listening periodically, especially when someone hasn't come back. San Marcos Mike keeps an ear to the same channel. That's far better than flares, whistles, or horns.

The locals told me that the Asuncion area fishes best in December (late fall). I asked about wind. They said it wasn't a problem. I don't know because the wind can blow pretty good in December at San Lucas Cove (it's a crapshoot).
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 10:45 AM
Illegal Fish

Big Al-"Boyd pulled up to our left nd proceeded to display,clean,and freeze about 15 good sized dorados."
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 12:20 PM
Illegal Fish

Boy, I hope Boyd isn't reading this website.

To tell you the truth I really didn't count the fish. I just wrote 15 fish as an estimate. There were 3 people in the boat. He probably broke the law, but I don't know by how much.

I really didn't expect this reaction to a story that's basically a travelogue.

In some ways it's encouraging that people are concerned about this on the internet. But I don't see this attitude much on the ground. When Mexicans see me releasing fish there is a look of dismay on their faces. I must admit, sometimes I ask them if they want it and just give it to them. I guess I am breaking the law on those occasions.

Most of us California flyfishermen have been ingrained with catch and release for decades because all the best water in the state requires it. Hat Creek wasn't worth fishing until DFG changed the regulations. So I have no problems releasing fish. Plus, I don't like to eat frozen fish anyway.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 01:50 PM
Limits

Tuna Stick - My bad, I didn't read it real well or didn't understand who Boyd was. I was refering to the author. It is illegal, and nothing beats fresh fish. My smoked stuff comes pretty close, but fish from the stringer to the grill can't be beat

Big Al

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.