BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: To Doug: From censored "amigos" who are looking for a new home.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

smile.gif posted on 11-5-2002 at 09:47 AM
To Doug: From censored "amigos" who are looking for a new home.

Hi Doug. I am writing to ask if there is a welcome for people who wish to speak about political content on this board? At present ALL political content , no matter how directly related to Baja, is being obliterated from the Amigos board. The message is being sent , loud and clear, to many of us that we are no longer welcomed there.

I read your answer to Bajabus on a previous post and you seemed to be supportive of any Baja related discussion that's not abusive or mean spirited. Obviously Bajabus is one of the people who can no longer tolerate the censorship going on at that board. I assume that you read the other board since I've seen at least one post from you. I don't know if I was mistaken, but that post seemed to be supportive of what Eric Robitaille is doing, which is why I'm writing for clarification on what you accept here.

I probably represent at least 4 or 5 people who are looking for a place they can speak politically and critically about events, laws, ecological and economic issues, human rights, border relations, etc. in Baja California and would like to find a tolerantly moderated board that will accept that kind of discussion.

Please let me know if this can be that place. Of course, I will respect your wishes if you prefer that we go elsewhere. In either case, I will let the others know, as I have already been recommending to some of them that we move here after having had this board recommended to me by yet another disenfranchised person that already did. Thanks for the consideration either way.-Stephanie Jackter

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-5-2002 at 10:14 AM

How about a new `Political Forum` for just such interests? Will that work?

Please see:
http://forums.bajanomad.com

This site's focus is Baja California, and is meant for those interested in, and with content directly related to, the peninsula. As long as visitors here abide by the user agreement, we'll find a place for their subject matter. Often times it may require the need for another forum unto itself. I may feel it necessary to restrict access on some subject areas (by requiring registration, or other means) as we go along, simply for security reasons.

I also will use my right to ban folks that cannot abide by the rules set forth in an immediate and prejudicial fashion.

I have the uptmost respect for Trish, Eric, and Earle. They have generously provided a great service for Baja lovers for an amazing amount of time. I'm also familiar with the software they're using, and the headache it takes. I abandoned using the same software because of the headache. See: http://bb.escapist.com/baja. I fully support the Amigos right to moderate their board as they see fit and necessary. I also can't applaud LOUD ENOUGH to show how appreciated their generosity has been. (I should add: and still IS!!!)

:D

--
Doug Means

[Edited on 11-5-2002 by BajaNomad]
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2002 at 11:44 AM
Reply to Doug.

My only response as far as your respect for the slashing that Eric is doing on his board right now is that the one thing you mustn't respect if you are a person who lives by his word and expects others to, is that his rules and regs still say that all topics related to Baja are welcome and his actions say otherwise. It is his board and he can do as he pleases, but if he says one thing officially and then does another, there's the rub. That has nothing to do with software or hardware limitiations, but everything to do with personal integrity as far as I can see. Well, enough said.

I like the idea that you have set aside an area specifically for political wrangling on the issues that affect Baja California. And I have no problem with abiding by your policies. I can only ask in advance, that you cut only those posts that do not abide by your rules. The technique of slamming has been used by many on the other board to get whole threads deleted when those discussing politics were abiding by the rules of decorum all along and I hope that won't be allowed to happen here.

Thanks very much for offering the forum. I know that it's a lot of work on your part no matter how good the technology you have is and will try not to take that work for granted.

One last thing, being a newbie. I can't yet figure out how to go from looking at the posts back to the main list of posts without going back to the home page. Am I missing something? -Stephanie Jackter
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-5-2002 at 12:24 PM

A) This board is able to moderate posts on one-by-one basis.

B) To get back to the listings for a forum that you're are in without returning to the home page... look for the navigation bar at the top and bottom of each page... for this thread it appears as such:

BajaNomad ? Board Suggestions & Comments ? To Doug: From censored "amigos" who are looking for a new home.

Just click on the forum name (in this case: `Board Suggestions & Comments `) and you'll be taken back to the listings for that forum.

--
Doug Means

[Edited on 11-5-2002 by BajaNomad]
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 07:52 PM
Hope you continue to clear out the offensive posts.

It is your board and you can do what you need to make it a welcome place for all of us.

Thanks for the good work.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 09:41 PM
Baja Vida

I just hope everybody knows the discussion being pointed out on this thread took place over a YEAR ago. I don't think Doug has ever archived anything, which speaks to how much space is available with the system he's running, but sometimes when people dreddge up really outdated material, it can seem like something that was said in a different time and context is current when it's not. For instance, the above conversation took place before the "off topic forum" was authorized.....- Stephanie
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 11:32 PM

Stephanie,

I think your jumping to a conclusion. I might be wrong. re: Bajavidas post above, dated 9-21-2003. There were some unfriendly comments made toward another poster on a totally different subject and Doug removed the offensive post and subsequent comments made. Hope this helps clear up any concerns you might have.

Bedman
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 12:35 AM
Oh, OK.

I think it would have still been appropriate to have made his point on a new thread. There was nothing on this thread but some pretty sensitive year old stuff, so it would look to the casual observer that Baja Vida's comment had to do with that conversation. One could understand only from your post that it did not.

But at least now I get the intent of his comment. Thanks for the clarification. - Stephanie

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.