Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A few days backpacking in Sequoia
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 08:45 AM
A few days backpacking in Sequoia

Went backpacking over holiday north of Kennedy Meadows. Saw some burned out areas, a few snakes; got a dusting of snow on Sunday.

Saw snakes every day.

Wind really blew Saturday, roared through the trees. Found some shelter.

This is a small bird point I found. Saw lots of morteros too.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 09:06 AM

Nice point! Bummer about the burned areas.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 09:35 AM

Beautiful! I love Kings Canyon--Jenny Lakes area. Did you access Kennedy Meadows from Hwy 395?? Never been there but I have studied the area on maps. I'm painting my exterior walls Verde Pradera; Meadow green! Nice Coincidence.:biggrin: Tio
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 09:55 AM

Looks like fun times minus the snakes but walking stick kinda helps in keeping you aware of them to a point, hopefully a safte point! Wishing you safe fun times. Take Care & Travel Safe---"No hurry, No worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 02:25 PM

Yes, Kennedy Meadows from 395 - hit the trailhead from the campground. Went about 5 miles to Clover Meadow to base camp.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 03:22 PM

Nice, beautiful country up there. You didn't happen to hear if the road leading back to Monache Meadows is open yet did you?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2011 at 05:36 PM

The "road" to Monache Meadows? If you're referring to a road to drive to it, I don't know. But I know of others who hiked to it over the days I was in the area. There was no snow, even at 7000 ft - just a patch or so. When the snow fell Sunday AM, it mostly melted by 11 am. We were told that we couldn't drive to Black Rock Gap trailhead, because the road was closed. Dont know why. But was not due to snow. (We originally wanted to go to Jordan Hotsprings.) Some of the streams were already dry.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-4-2011 at 10:54 PM

Jordan Hot Springs couldn't still be operating, is it? That was a wonderful place. I thought the Inyo Natl Forest office, in their ever increasing closure mindset, had shut it down.

So, you used the Kennedy Meadows Campground as your base and hiked from there?

There is a great, yet rather steep, trail that starts from Lion Meadows in that area. It's covered in the late Jim Jenkins book, Self Propelled in the Southern Sierra, I believe. In 4.5 miles, you are at the Kern River with access to Hells Hole. The descent is from 8200 feet down to 5000 in those 4.5 miles. But the fishing is stellar. We used the Kennedy Meadows Pack Station to have our gear dropped in that area.

At the Lion Meadows trailhead one year, we saw a rattler that might have been over 6 feet.

[Edited on 6-5-2011 by Hook]

Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
The "road" to Monache Meadows? If you're referring to a road to drive to it, I don't know. But I know of others who hiked to it over the days I was in the area. There was no snow, even at 7000 ft - just a patch or so. When the snow fell Sunday AM, it mostly melted by 11 am. We were told that we couldn't drive to Black Rock Gap trailhead, because the road was closed. Dont know why. But was not due to snow. (We originally wanted to go to Jordan Hotsprings.) Some of the streams were already dry.

Thanks, that kind of what I thought...its a 4x4 road, gotta be still snowed in.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 08:23 AM

Jordan hotsprings, from what I understand, is just several hotsprings pools in more or less natural condition, and some abandoned structural remains. Anyone can hike in. I understand too, that the area has been burned out - based on a trip report from last year. I read about its colorful history - sure wanted to see it. Also learned that the bluff above it was sacred grounds to the indigenous.
We were able to drive to Kennedy Meadows, so hit the trailhead from there, which is part of the Pacific Crest Trail system. That trail led to Clover Meadow, Haiwee Trail and Beck Meadow (12 mi).
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 09:31 AM

I used to fly into the Forest Service gravel airstrip at Monache in the early 80's and fish Golden Trout in the stream right next to the strip. Lots of fun and the fishing was great. Is the airstrip still there? It used to be one way in and one way out and you had to be careful.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 09:40 AM

I am pretty sure that the Jordan Hotsprings area was burned out in the McNally fire back in 2002. I vividly remember watching that fire reach a large ridge not too far east of our place as we were packing up to get out.

Oh how we thanked God when the winds changed and blew the fire back into itself...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 09:50 AM

Nice trip report Cindi!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.