Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flying Doctors visit Asuncion
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 07:57 AM
Flying Doctors visit Asuncion

Mil gracias to the Flying Doctors of the south Bay area for coming to do a free clinic in Asuncion over the weekend. Two planes brought 8 volunteers who worked their tails off for 2 days pulling and filling teeth and giving out reading glasses. We were really happy that many of the ladies in the village also volunteered to help at the clinics.

This time, our mayor opted to try something different for feeding the gang. Instead of having to go to a restaurant, we arranged for the ladies of DIF ( a community organization) to make and deliver their meals to the beach houses we donated to the cause. The team loved relaxing and socializing there and having the food brought to them! They got to try abalone sausage for breakfast, nopales, chicharonnes, fish tacos, tamales de caracol and the last night we BBQ'd a big yellowtail.

after the clinics were over, we had caracol tamales at the Blowole and a great meeting to discuss the possibility of building a permanent Flying Doctors clinic here.

This turned out to be a huge success as the ladies had a wonderful time serving and chatting with the visitors. It is always better when more of the locals are directly involved with these clinics...more fun for everyone!

The ladies of DIF are very dedicated to a new project for our village...they want to build a senior citizens center....a place where the elders can go and eat, play dominos, take classes, dance, socialize as well as receive needed physical therapy and psycological care. We came up with the idea of having a permanent room in this center where the flying doctors can have a clinic. This way they can bring and leave much of their needed equipment here like compressor, dental chairs, sterilizers etc. The organization has promised to help us build this center and made a donation to the cause.

It is a win win partnership for sure and we will be assisting the group in fund raising and getting donations. The ladies will be selling food to tourists this season like tamales and enchiladas and will also provide meals delivered to your rental....all the money going toward the senior center.

Thanks to the coops and delegado for providing the food and making this visit a memorable one for the flying docs.
Here is a little slideshow of the visit.
http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/oo295/blowhole1/Flying%20...

[Edited on 7-18-2011 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 08:53 AM

Good cause and I'm glad they're still flying into Baja ! Love the picture of the little girl being held by her Mama while she receives dental attn! The idea for a Seniors center is Outstanding and indicates the Love in La Familia Mexicana. I wish these efforts were published more often in the US newspapers and help garner support! Arriba BA! Tio
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 01:12 PM

Hey Shari - I really admire you! We haven't met, but I love your posts! What a GREAT IDEA for a senior center and I love your pictures and what they represent. I agree that its too bad that these things are not carried by US media to up awareness.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 07:18 PM

gracias tom & katie...I am thrilled about the new senior center too and have lots of ideas for fund raising.

That poor little girl on her moms lap just had 2 teeth pulled a few moments before....we had to hold her down to numb her up and I called on all my kid entertaining skills to take her mind off the needle...puppet show did the trick to stop her crying....
this man was sooooo appreciative of the dental work he received!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 07:29 PM

caracol tamales, abalone sausage???? i'm feeling like volunteering for cleaning up after the dentists finish or whatever they need......

great cause for the folks!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.