Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Code Race 10-16
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 11:50 PM
Code Race 10-16

Another Code race will be October 16th. I just found out they were going to let bikes and quads race..The race will be at the laguna salada.. We will be there Q 99 trying to get some more points....Paul
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2004 at 11:47 AM

Course map is up at Code's website..
Mexicana logistics 300..

http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/codeoffroad/mexlog.htm
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2004 at 07:27 AM

Paul, my brother Bill and I are coming down Thursday the 14th to explore and visit friends in San Felipe. We be at the race on Saturday. We'll be in my white Toyota 4x4 with my Honda XR250 in the back. I take it you are #99 on a quad. We'll be looking.

Tom
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2004 at 07:37 AM

Tom they gave us #98 this race. Red honda quad starting 2nd to last. I'll be getting on at checkpoint 1 and finishing the race. After the race I'll stay and watch the cars and trucks. I think we are going to camp out there Friday night. Do you have a 2 meter radio ? Friday afternoon we will be at contingency in Mexicali Vicente Guerrero park which is a little south of plaza cachanilla..
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2004 at 02:06 PM

Paul, I have my race radios. I usually have it on Weatherman freq. 151.625mhz.
It's programmed with 16 freq. I also have a handheld that I can put in the freq. if you have one in mind. We'll look for you Friday evening. Quad, red Honda #98. What truck you driving?

Tom
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2004 at 08:28 PM

TW where are you gonna be Friday night. We will be camping in la salada somewhere. We will be at contingency around 5ish or so. Probably eat some tacos and head out hopefuly before dark but don't know for sure. I'll be in my 2001 F-150 silver crew cab. My buddy will be towing the quad in a toyota tundra..I'll monitor weatherman 151.625 starting Friday afternoon and try to contact you through that freq....When you gonna be driving through El Centro or are you ?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 07:35 AM

I'm leaving Bakersfield Wed. afternoon and pick up Bill in Hemet and head for the border. We'll spend Thursday exploring canyon areas southwest of Laguna Salada and west of La Ventana. San Felipe on Friday to visit friends and head back up on Friday evening. If we're running late we will probably take the old B1K course up thru Cohabuso jct. to check 1 and meet you in the AM. When we get close Friday evening or Sat morning I'll start calling on the radio on 151.625. We'll also be looking for your truck.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 07:58 AM

Tom I will be at check 1 hopefuly by 6:00am-6:30am Saturday morning. I take the quad from check 1 to the finish. I'll be in my buddies white chevy with a big GRT sticker on the rear window. I'll have the radio on to that freq Friday night and saturday...See ya at the races...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 11:58 PM

Have a great race paul and good luck!!! Man, you make it so much more exciting... having a Baja Nomad brother in the race we can all root for!

Don't be surprised if a gold Tacoma shows up!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 07:05 AM

David it's your duty to show up and have fun.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 07:54 AM

Come on down bikes and quads start at 6:00am trucks and cars start at 9:00am.. Bikes one lap cars 2 laps.. 113 miles a lap. As of the drawing there were around 176 entries and more will show up on race day. They actualy have a grandstand set up in the start finish area..Laguna salada at the guadalupe canyon road...Paul
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 01:12 PM

Paul, how did you do? Was it fun? I didn't get away, but Hotschott was in Guadalupe Canyon and could hear it.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 08:30 PM

We had a good time at the race over the weekend. TW and his brother were at check point 1 in the morning when I arrived. They came up from la ventana through the dirt roads. It was nice to see them 2 again. I hadn't seen them since our trip to matomi. They are realy good people and I hope to see more of them. TW even helped check out the tires when the quad came to me. Maybe I can get TW to help pit for us in the futre.
We ended up finishing 12th out of 19 quads. I thought we would be in at least the top 10 but thats how it went. We still have 1 more race in December from Ensenada to San Felipe..Hopefuly we can finish good and pick up some more points.. My friends in class 9 did good and finished 2nd and my other friends in class 5/1600 finished 4th so it was a good day overall...We had a killer carne asada with all the fixings afterwards. All in all a great day in the baja desert with friends, family and some adult toys...Paul
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 09:41 PM

GREAT!! You finished, and you were in the top twelve!

Thanks for the report! Yes TW and Brother W are great guys... all the way from Bakersfield, too!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 09:47 PM
Here's TW, last February, Nuevo Mazatlan

[Edited on 10-19-2004 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 10-18-2004 at 09:55 PM
Here's our racer, Tunaeater

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 07:27 AM

Bill and I had a great time. Great to see Paul and his friends and the racing was great except when the dust blew in our direction, but thats racing and watching a race. The morning of the race the checkpoint people ( large Mexican group) had a big pot of Menudo and they ask us to join them, which we did. It was great.

Before the race we were exploring some canyons to the south and west of La Ventana. Followed the water pipe from the Oasis wells to the mine north of 3 poles. After the race we took off east over Laguna Salada to the mountains along hwy 5 and explored some mountain passes.

Paul I will have vacation left after the 1000 so I'm available to help in your Dec. CODE race. If it goes over the summit we could be there when you come thru.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 07:29 AM

David that Oildale University shirt almost always get a conversation going somewhere.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 07:37 AM

Yes, you told me the joke about Oildale University!

Were you guys looking for the Lost Diaz Grave? Bruce Barber thinks he found the canyon containg the grave (west of La Ventana). Good book with lot's of details of that entire desert... 'Of Sand and Sea'

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 09:02 AM

I ordered Barber's book. Bill and I were looking for the old road that went from La Ventana to the summit. I road it a couple of time in 90 and 91 from the summit. There is one place where Canada de Enmedio meets with Canada Jaquegel (Alamanac page 9 upper left) that we had to carry our MCs over rocks in the wash. I was hoping Bill and I could find the road around that. We never found the road, we hit a bolder field that caused us to turn away in the truck. We went back to the well pump station and talked with the maintenance workers and they said we needed to go further down the main course road and we would find the trail off to the right that we were looking for. Oh well that's for another trip.

The wells are at 31-42-08x115-15-19 AND 31-41-39x115-15-22. They pump the water to the mining operation just north of El Chinero (hwy3 and 5 jct).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.