Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great Find > "Flight of the Least Petrel"
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2011 at 09:57 AM
Great Find > "Flight of the Least Petrel"

I found a new favorite book on Baja's past!
Discovered by chance after reading Max Miller’s book on Baja, he mentions this book “The Flight of the Least Petrel” by Griffing Bancroft. The story takes place in 1930, as Griffing and his wife sail out of Point Loma in San Diego down the west coast of Baja and back up to Mexicalli.. There are great descriptions of the bird life on various islands, interaction with the people in the small villages along the way, an extended stay with Sra Leree in San Ignacio, life in Sta Rosalia's mining town, photos and a map of Baja showing their journey.
All told, a great read with incite of how Baja might be developed one day and how the Padres found their way to various missions sites in the past.
It was located through Barnes & Noble “Out of Print Books”, and this copy was signed to Earl Warren Governor of California at the time in 1949…. It even included a copy of a short note from him back with the State seal…

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2011 at 10:34 AM

What a grand find! It's a fun book and the provenance of the one you picked up just adds to the read.

Allen R
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 10:07 AM

Great find Kris (it's one I do not have)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

There are 29 for sale at abebooks.com.

Allen R
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 10:42 AM

Quote:

Noooo! Are you sure? I thought you had 'em all, David. :D
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 10:46 AM

I remember this book.....I think. Wasn't the Least Petrel a boat?
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Yep.

Allen R
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

It was an old fishing boat, outfitted in San Diego for the trip..

Her max speed was 8 knots...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 01:31 PM

Quote:

David, as you know I have a great collection of "old" books on Baja travels, and this one stands out on how well they described their dealings with people and gave you a good sense of being with them on the trip...

This pre -dates Steinbeck's trip, and must have served as outline for his "Log of the Sea of Cortez" book..

Ben Franklin (1759)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Quote:

David, as you know I have a great collection of "old" books on Baja travels, and this one stands out on how well they described their dealings with people and gave you a good sense of being with them on the trip...

This pre -dates Steinbeck's trip, and must have served as outline for his "Log of the Sea of Cortez" book..

Very cool!

Steinback-r.JPG - 21kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.