Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where to locate "water fixer"
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 09:18 AM
Where to locate "water fixer"

I've read several Nomads have the "water fixer" water purifier in their homes. I'm trying to decide where to locate mine. My system is a cistern, with a pump and pressure tank (water is trucked in). I'd like to mount it in front of the pressure tank, but with the 1/2 inch fittings on the "water fixer", plus the resistance within the filter, I'm concerned that it will create more work for the pump while filling the pressure tank. Then again, I don't know if the resistance, or decreased gpm while flowing through the fillter is even enough to worry about. (It does create a 5 lb drop in pressure according to the instructions).

If I locate it after the pressure tank, the pressure tank will do most of the work pushing water through the filter, instead of the pump, and the pump can fill the pressure tank much faster using a larger orifice (less power draw/less wear on the pump), but the water in the tank won't be purified.

Can anyone tell me how they mounted theirs, and if you think it would be best to put it in front of, or after the pressure tank? Thanks.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 10:47 AM

Hey Wooo.....can I piggyback a related question here? Since the question has to do with an apparatus in the water line....has anyone tried a Sears type water softener with a pump on a 30/50 switch?

I'm not sure what a "water fixer" is. Is it a water softener?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 11:00 AM

It's the brand name of an ultraviolet + filter water sterilizing system

Water Fixer
missionmike

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 01:09 PM

Hi Woo

I'll start off by stating I'm not a plumber!, but are familiar with pumps & pressure tanks ect, we have used a deep well for our water supply for the last 30 years up here in BC. We do not have need of water filters,, but if we did I would install your "water fixer" after the pressure tank, probably in the kitchen area, I do not think there is a need to filter water for bathing and flushing toilets, but that's just my opinion!

BTW I'm new to Baja nomads but have checked in once in a while, we will be driving down to Baja this winter, our fourth time driving down with our camper, last winter we did a two week fly in holiday to La Ventana. Mike
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 01:17 PM

Welcome to BajaNomad, Mike. Give us a trip report when the time comes.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 01:39 PM

i think mission mike is right
you dont want the entire house water going thru that filter
it's too small

and you dont need to filter the water for the shower and toilet anyway

the builder next door put these under the kitchen sink
i'd just make sure you can get to the filters easily
for replacement
his are hard to get to

the people even drink that water
i wouldnt but they do

even if they say they last forever
remember they dont

you need to replace them about twice a year
so make sure you stock filters
there's none where you live
hahaha

i had one of these at work
point of use

after a while the water smells moldy
you need to replace the filters
and clean

another problem we have here is the water is increditably hard
a filter like this is boune to clog way too fast
then it'll need to be replaced

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 02:31 PM

I installed mine directly after the pump and am filtering all of my house water through my water fixer. Shut-off valves installed before and after for ez filter and UV lamp changes.

Water trucked in for my pila here is high mineral/salt content. I have seen how much sediment my filters remove and glad I'm not showering, washing clothes and cleaning dishes without filtering first.

Filters are replaced monthly. UV lamp replaced annually.

No, I don't drink it. Only a reverse osmosis system would make it drinkable. My estimate on the electricity needed and waste have me just buying drinking water from the local wells that DO go through R/O system.

p.s. THANKS to Nomad loboron for introducing the system to me during my 2007 house construction.

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 07:35 PM

Missionmike...

WELCOME to Baja Nomad!

Sorry I can't help you with this question...NO experience with that!

Michael/Miguelamo/Amo Pescar :bounce: ;D :biggrin:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.