Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good security device
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 9-15-2011 at 10:09 PM
Good security device

I purchased an inexpensive motion sensor which is battery powered (9V), small and has a very loud piercing alarm. I mounted is inside my security (storm door) door so it can't be tampered with but monitors the walkway in front of my house. It has gone off 2 times during the night hours and woke me up. I did not see anyone but by the time I got to the window I think a person would have ran away because it is very loud.

I like the unit because it is inexpensive, small, easy to install, loud, and battery powered. The alarm goes for about 10 seconds, then resets. I found it at Home Depot in Chula Vista for about $20. I looked for it there to buy another one and they were out of them so I hope they restock it. I have used it many nights and I don't think it has any false alarms but it has to be aimed above the ground level so cats won't set it off. I learned that early on. I'm not at home so I can't report the brand name of the unit. It would be nice to be able to use one made by Claymore, but I can't do that anymore.
Sidamone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2011 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
I purchased an inexpensive motion sensor which is battery powered (9V), small and has a very loud piercing alarm. I mounted is inside my security (storm door) door so it can't be tampered with but monitors the walkway in front of my house. It has gone off 2 times during the night hours and woke me up. I did not see anyone but by the time I got to the window I think a person would have ran away because it is very loud.

I like the unit because it is inexpensive, small, easy to install, loud, and battery powered. The alarm goes for about 10 seconds, then resets. I found it at Home Depot in Chula Vista for about $20. I looked for it there to buy another one and they were out of them so I hope they restock it. I have used it many nights and I don't think it has any false alarms but it has to be aimed above the ground level so cats won't set it off. I learned that early on. I'm not at home so I can't report the brand name of the unit. It would be nice to be able to use one made by Claymore, but I can't do that anymore.

And blow up the Dominos guy when he gets the wrong house?
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 05:44 AM

Good for when you are not there....... but there is nothing like a growl and an aggressive bark when you are home! Nancy
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 05:58 AM

Funny you say that. A company called X10.com used to make an audible alarm that sounded just like a bad A** dog growling and snarling. Most security folks agree nothing strikes fear in a bad guy like the idea of getting eaten by Rin Tin Tin.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 06:03 AM

I have the 70lb Collie Alarm System!! He would lick a burglar to death, but no one comes on the fenced patio, and most stay away from the house.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 06:37 AM

I never tell them that they might get licked to death BUT we sure know when someone or something is around. Good idea for the electronic growl. I am going to look for one! Nancy
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 09:01 AM
Good security device

Check this out. If you have wireless internet and a smart phone or computer you are in business.

http://www.vuezone.com/uses/takeapeek/index.html?gclid=CNnNo...

The basic kit comes with a camera always on and one that gets triggered by motion. It takes a still photo of what triggered it, then broadcasts what is sees, it can record too if you set it set to do so. There is a setting that tells the "always on" camera to take stills of anything that moves if you wish and you can remotely snap a still or record anything you see or on a schedule or at random times etc.... Pretty nifty thing. I'll see how many pictures I get of the neighbor's cat jumping the garden wall...

*Be the man your dog thinks you are
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleG
Funny you say that. A company called X10.com used to make an audible alarm that sounded just like a bad A** dog growling and snarling. Most security folks agree nothing strikes fear in a bad guy like the idea of getting eaten by Rin Tin Tin.

Now you tell me we got a German Shepard Puppy a few months ago and she already weighs 60lbs and can consume a 50lb bag of dog food in record time.:lol::lol::lol:
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 09:27 PM

I still go with the dog thing...........nothing like one. Nancy
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Originally posted by DaleG

Now you tell me we got a German Shepard Puppy a few months ago and she already weighs 60lbs and can consume a 50lb bag of dog food in record time.:lol::lol::lol:

But you know she's a sweetheart!
:bounce:

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 08:28 AM

These are cheap- less than $20 - and work great. We've got a few spread around the yard currently because of the building materials. The receiver is in the house and it makes a loud "ding-dong" when something passes in front of it. It has a pretty good range so you can place the sensor a ways away from the receiver. Also used it for the camper and set the sensor by the back door for the night. No loud external speaker alarm to scare away an intruder but the "ding-dong" is very loud and if bad guys were anywhere near the receiver they could hear it.

Wooo has the sensors mounted above animal height but occasionally we'll have a heart attack when a scary jackrabbit triggers it in the night.
"Driveway" motion sensor

We've got some other detector set-ups but I can't reveal everything.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.