BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Conversion Van to Gonzaga Bay
Colorado

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 06:57 PM
Conversion Van to Gonzaga Bay

I have a low clearance Chevy 20 Van conversion van Two wheel drive that I want to take from San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay via Hiway 5. Will I make it? I heard I need a 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle. Also another party with us is pulling a pop up camper tent with a 4 wheel drive Chevy Silverado truck. The pop up has extra lift for clearance. Is it possible for them to make it? Help needed with this info as soon as possbile, we are leaving Wednesday Sept 22.
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 07:29 PM

If you drive slowly, pay attention to your line on the road, and lower your air pressure a bit, you could almost drive a vette to GB. SLOW & WATCHFUL

I have seen a vast array of vehicles on the road to/from GB

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 07:34 PM

I've just made that trip and you'll do OK. Very slow (10-15 MPH) for the 10 miles from the end-of-payment (relative term here) south of San Felipe to Puertecitos. The gravel road south of Puertecitos is really not that bad - I did the trip in 3 hours pulling a tin boat with a Tundra. My advice is no beer until you make the top of the long grade a few miles south of Puertecitos. Guard rails are a 'long time coming' (CSNY). By the way - there is a check-point between Papa Fernandes and Rancho San Luis (Alfonsinas - spell-check that-DK) - be polite. We were asked for our names, place of birth and vehicle liscence # which we gave. The young officer fell all over himself thanking us for being polite and not yelling at him. He must get a lot of flack.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago By the way - there is a check-point between Papa Fernandes and Rancho San Luis (Alfonsinas - spell-check that-DK) - be polite.

je je je Always Santiago! Oh, it is FERNANDEZ! But you got Alfonsina's correct!:lol::lol::lol:;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Junior Nomad

Mood: Rings

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 07:58 PM

While staying at Alfonsina's during Thanksgiving 2002 we met four college girls from San Diego who made that same drive in a Honda Accord. They were meeting friends there and didn't know anything about the "road". Took 'em six hours from San Felipe, but they made it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 08:52 PM
Thanksgiving Dinner at Alfonsina's 2002

That's my son and I at Dooooglas' table. Sure was a great meal. I think Alfonsina's son took the picture for me. Kacey Smith was there as well (Baja GPS Guide author).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 10:53 PM

We've driven a Mazda Protege there from both directions several times. You don't drive fast and just work through the obstructions that sometimes seem major. Taking your time is what matters. And, while many of us are aware on the need to lower your tire air pressure, I would personally say that if yor are going to drive VERY slowly over that road in a low clearance vehicle, I'd leave the tire at or near the norm. Lowering it will cost you clearance.
Butch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2004 at 10:28 AM
Van to Gonzaga

As others have said, drive slow, keep your eyes open for rocks. No problem with 2WD ! I suggest you put your van on level ground at home, air down your tires to 25#, get down and look at the clearance of your engine and tranny oil pans ! Subtract about 3 or 4 inches of what you see for suspension travel , another inch for the load that you will have and what you wind up with is the diameter of the rock that will give you a serious headache ! I have seen this scenario many times on this road ! Only substitute for ground clearance is drive SLOW. Good luck and enjoy the trip, it's a great trip and worth the effort.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.