Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico closes schools, sends hundreds of teens back to U.S
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 9-18-2004 at 11:36 AM
Mexico closes schools, sends hundreds of teens back to U.S

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Parents picked up hundreds of U.S. teenagers Saturday from northern Mexico after state and federal authorities closed down three schools for troubled youths, according to a U.S. consular official.

About 538 teenagers -- the vast majority U.S. citizens -- were being returned home after authorities shut down Casa by the Sea in Ensenada, on the Pacific coast about 60 miles south of San Diego, said Liza Davis, public affairs officer with the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana.

About 50 teenagers from two other facilities -- Casa de la Esperanza in Ensenada and Genesis in Rosarito, about 15 miles south of the U.S. border -- already had left Mexico on Saturday after the schools were closed, Davis said.

After a surprise inspection Friday of the three treatment centers for teenagers with behavior and drug-related problems, the Mexican immigration agency reported that four children at Casa by the Sea showed signs of physical and emotional mistreatment, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

``At this point we don't have any substantiated cases of abuse,'' Davis said.

Casa by the Sea is operated by the Utah-based World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools and has been the subject of abuse allegations in the past.

``We're really at a loss right now to understand why the government would take such an irresponsible action,'' said association president Ken Kay. He accused Mexican authorities of shutting down Casa by the Sea without first attempting to verify any abuse complaints.

Other schools affiliated with Kay's group have run into problems. A school in Costa Rica eventually closed last year after visits by the Costa Rican child welfare agency. Previously, two other schools -- in the Czech Republic and Cancun, Mexico -- suddenly closed after they became the subjects of investigations.

Several local families whose children were sent to Casa by the Sea said they were surprised to hear the school had closed, since they and their children had had a positive experience with the program.

Juana and Alfonso Guevara of Sunnyvale, who sent their daughter to Casa by the Sea in 2002 after she threatened suicide, said they never heard any claims of mistreatment.

``When we put her into the facility we got a tour,'' Juana Guevara said. ``Of course you can't know everything that goes on. It appeared clean and neat. The children appeared to be fine.''

Chelsey Mahan, 18, of Saratoga, returned from Casa by the Sea less than a month ago after a 2 1/2-year stay. It was a tough but good experience, she said.

``It was a program that helped us so much,'' Mahan said of her fellow students. ``I've never experienced any kind of abuse at all. The only thing I can think of is people would say that if they wanted to come home.''

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2004 at 01:43 PM

People complaint when we close them, and people complain if we dont and someone ends up dead, its a no win situation for the Mexican goverment, i am prsonally glad they close them all.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-18-2004 at 04:40 PM
Jesse

Why?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2004 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
People complaint when we close them, and people complain if we dont and someone ends up dead, its a no win situation for the Mexican goverment, i am prsonally glad they close them all.

Regardless of guilt or innocense one thing is 99.9% certain:

If these schools were owned or operated by nationals they wouldn't have been seriously monitored or inspected let alone shut down.

Witness the years of documented abuse by the administrator of the "Door of Faith" orphanage.

Here's just the tip of the iceberg:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=5272

He's STILL there.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2004 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Why?

Because of numerous past incidents when U.S. nationals have come to Mexico to open clinics that would have never meet U.S. standars, after someone dies or someone gets ripped off, U.S. media jumps all over the story blaming Mexico and its "lack of controls", these clinics where here because they wherent allowed to operate in the United States, and that pretty much tells you that what ever theyr are doing, is not up to U.S. or Mexican standards.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2004 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Regardless of guilt or innocense one thing is 99.9% certain:

If these schools were owned or operated by nationals they wouldn't have been seriously monitored or inspected let alone shut down.

Witness the years of documented abuse by the administrator of the "Door of Faith" orphanage.

Here's just the tip of the iceberg:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=5272

He's STILL there.

Its the same thing all over the world, locals always enjoy advantages over foreingners, nothing new there.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2004 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Its the same thing all over the world, locals always enjoy advantages over foreingners, nothing new there.

Interesting.

Would you consider, collusion with the police to frame a major benefactor by falsely accusing him of child molestation and as a result his spending seven years in prison in order to cover up your own malfeasance and child abuse, as an ADVANTAGE?

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting.

Would you consider, collusion with the police to frame a major benefactor by falsely accusing him of child molestation and as a result his spending seven years in prison in order to cover up your own malfeasance and child abuse, as an ADVANTAGE?

I do not consider anything, i am talking about those "scools" getting close, why dont you start another thread with your story so we can all offer our opinions? theres some pretty nasty corruption and child abuse in both sides of the border.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 06:28 PM
how did my orphanage thread

get wound into your catfight?

Anyway, if you have info that Gabe Diego is still around the Door of Faith I would like to hear it. My sources say he is no where to be found. (a blessing, I might add)

As to the effectiveness of these schools, my partner had a son in trouble 20 years ago. They had a choice from the judge, kids' jail or a special school/camp in NorCal. They chose the camp, cost about $60 per day. Unfortunately he left before his time was up, hit the street, went to big boy jail and learned to be seriously bad. Had the school program continued he might be a better citizen today.

Having said all this, I am still wondering what the real story is about this closing?!

Baja Arriba!!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Anyway, if you have info that Gabe Diego is still around the Door of Faith I would like to hear it. My sources say he is no where to be found. (a blessing, I might add)

I have a good friend who lives above the orphanage. She knows him and his vehicle and says that she has seen him entering and leaving.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
bajarunner.
He does not seem to be hiding out from anyone.

And why should he? A national who "enjoys advantages".

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 10:19 AM
you are correct

Sounds like I do need some better sources. Actually what my sources said was "he has not been seen in the valley in quite awhile."
Perhaps he is thinking that the heat is off and it is safe to come out.
He is such a creature of habit, he has been going to the same cafe for most of his life.
There are still some folks who are very interested in dealing with him, even if he "enjoys advantages."
Certainly his sources of financial support have dried up, and he is the laziest person I ever met, so eating regularly may become a problem as well.
Ah well, what goes around always comes around...

Baja Arriba!!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
bajarunner.
He does not seem to be hiding out from anyone.

And why should he? A national who "enjoys advantages".

From that very same goverment (PAN) that you tought was doing a good job here in Baja Dave, theres plenty of examples like that all over PAN goverments, no wonder they are losing elections all over the nation.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 05:48 PM
Orphanage reunion

Some of the kids from Door of Faith are having a reunion October 16 in Irvine.
They have invited Gabe to attend.
They also have asked him to bring his spanking paddle, his belt and his stick.
Apparently they are intending to give him some advanced instruction on techniques.
(true story, actually, although they did not ask for the paddles, etc.)

Baja Arriba!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.