Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting to the Big Sky via 95
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 08:03 PM
Getting to the Big Sky via 95

A great way to get to the Big Sky Country from California is The Great Basin Highway----95 in Nevada. Just a couple of pictures from along the way

While we did not go to the Great Basin Park this trip, if you have not been there it is really a beautiful place!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 07:50 AM

Diana,
That would be Highway 93. Drove that a few times. Gets pretty boring.
Great Basin Park is beautiful though and unusual uncrowded for a national park. Long ways from nowhere though.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Diana,
That would be Highway 93. ...

You're correct there. Comes right through our little town here in Idaho. We drive that highway frequently, and I have to say we never get bored. Love that basin/range country of Nevada.

Never know what you'll see along the road.

Allen R
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-3-2011 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Diana,
That would be Highway 93.

Yes, but US 95 will get you from here to MT also, and is more interesting:
U.S. Route 95 is a north–south U.S. highway in the western United States. Unlike many other US highways, it has not seen deletion or replacement on most of its length by an encroaching Interstate highway corridor, due to its mostly rural course. Because of this, it still runs from border to border and is a primary north–south highway in both Nevada and Idaho.

As of 2010, the highway's northern terminus is in Boundary County, Idaho, at the Canadian border crossing of Eastport, where it continues north as BC 95. Its southern terminus is in San Luis, Arizona, on the Mexican border, where a short spur leads to Mexican Federal Highway 2 at San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora.[2]

Bob Durrell
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2011 at 04:00 PM

Opps, Yup, we have done 95 before, but this one was 93. Thanks!

We never get bored on either one of them and sure prefer both of them to the Interstate!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-3-2011 at 04:21 PM

I'm with you, Diana-----------those two roads are so non-boring that I have difficulty keeping my speed up. Meredith is often saying, " I know you love this country, but we have to keep moving". :lol: I look around so much that I often drop my speed down into the low 50's without even realizing it. :lol:

Great shots, but I don't recognize that first one of the bad-lands arroyo---where is that?

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2011 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I'm with you, Diana-----------those two roads are so non-boring that I have difficulty keeping my speed up. Meredith is often saying, " I know you love this country, but we have to keep moving". :lol: I look around so much that I often drop my speed down into the low 50's without even realizing it. :lol:

Great shots, but I don't recognize that first one of the bad-lands arroyo---where is that?

Barry

Ah, just can't be in hurry --- as you say, just too much to see. We pull over often to let anyone around pass us so we don't feel pushed.

The first pix is the edge of Cathedral Gorge State Park between Pioche and Caliente. It is a place we want to go and do more exploring---quite beautiful.

I am guessing you would also enjoy exploring it.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 08:08 AM

That's a wow factor highway. I have not traveled on that.

If you are in LV......be sure to visit Red Rock Canyon....waterfalls and such.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Thanks--- and so many great places to go. I am familiar with Red Rock Canyon near Mojave, but not so with one near LV. I will have to look for that one. Thanks. :yes:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Thanks--- and so many great places to go. I am familiar with Red Rock Canyon near Mojave, but not so with one near LV. I will have to look for that one. Thanks. :yes:

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is west of Las Vegas on Nevada Route 160.

Valley of Fire State Park is northeast of Las Vegas, off of I-15 northbound.

For a different route along US 93 north, take Nevada route 318 north from Crystal Springs to US 6 west of Ely, then US 6 into Ely and back onto the 93.

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT...The first pix is the edge of Cathedral Gorge State Park between Pioche and Caliente. It is a place we want to go and do more exploring---quite beautiful.

That photo looks like it's taken from the overlook just off the pavement. Correct?

A few years ago we pulled in to tour the park and found it was closed to the public. They were making some improvements. Just by chance we met one of the rangers and I took the liberty of "name-dropping". Bingo! It turned out that his boss was the name I dropped.

We parked and the ranger gave us access to the trails with a perfunctory warning about taking care in the construction zones. He also took the time to describe the improvements and future programs for the park. We walked a mile or two along the trails and made a commitment to return, though we haven't yet done so.

When we drive south/north through Nevada to Baja we usually take Rte 6 out of Ely then Rte 318 S through Lund. It's a bit shorter/quicker but it by-passes the Gorge area.

Allen R

[Edited on 11-15-2011 by bufeo]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT...The first pix is the edge of Cathedral Gorge State Park between Pioche and Caliente. It is a place we want to go and do more exploring---quite beautiful.

That photo looks like it's taken from the overlook just off the pavement. Correct?

A few years ago we pulled in to tour the park and found it was closed to the public. They were making some improvements. Just by chance we met one of the rangers and I took the liberty of "name-dropping". Bingo! It turned out that his boss was the name I dropped.

We parked and the ranger gave us access to the trails with a perfunctory warning about taking care in the construction zones. He also took the time to describe the improvements and future programs for the park. We walked a mile or two along the trails and made a commitment to return, though we haven't yet done so.

When we drive south/north through Nevada to Baja we usually take Rte 6 out of Ely then Rte 318 S through Lund. It's a bit shorter/quicker but it by-passes the Gorge area.

Allen R

[Edited on 11-15-2011 by bufeo]

Correct---that is where that was taken. We drove some around another area, but needed to get back and hit the highway, but we really do want to explore more! Tis beautiful.

Nice you had the correct name to drop. :yes:

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 09:19 PM
Red Rock Canyon near Mojave

Yes...another great spot for night sky viewing. It's known as a place to see "ufo's" ......and it's true from what we saw. No...I dont drink or LSD. Very interesting camp

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.