BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja and Mainland vege gardeners; where you at??
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 11:07 AM

Rob, I am having trouble getting tarragon and thyme to go, but the dill is thriving. If you like dill, try it.

Man, you got some space! Is that alfalfa in the foreground?

rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 12:20 PM

Hi Hook - yes that's alfalfa. Tried clover for compost, but expensive and had to bring it over the border.

We have lots of space, limited only by time. You are certainly more adventurous than us - must try and get some more seed types in!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 01:10 PM

Yeah, we are only 5-6 hours from the border and with a pretty large gringo community, we network. Someone is going north or coming south every week. So, seeds are rarely a problem.

I've been buying on line and having them shipped to friends. Online has a much better selection, especially since our season is reversed from NOB. You go to nurseries or the home warehouses and they have sent seeds back by late September in some places.

I dont know what I'd do if I couldnt grow lettuces. That's the weakest link in the vege supply in the stores, unless one is willing to eat romaine and iceberg all the time.

I would think lettuce would do well where you are. Now is the time to plant so it is maturing in the cool months. I dont take the whole head; I just cull a few leaves every other day when they are really going. I still end up giving or trading lots of leafys.

What's the problem with your lettuces? Infestations? Are they bolting too quick?

I plant my lettuces along the south edge of the main garden. That's the long edge in the bottom of the pic. In another two weeks, the boat barn will be casting shadows on that southern edge for 2-3 hours a day. That has kept my plants from bolting. But by April, it's getting so hot that it's almost impossible to prevent bolting.

I also search out varieties that resist bolting.

Also, consider planting lettuces between plants that grow tall and provide shade for them.

Hey, it's great having a fellow grower to share info with. Please stay in touch. PM me if you like. We wouldnt want this to rival Turtle Soup or an immigration issue, would we?

Naw, I guess that's not likely. Just not enough CONTROVERSY in gardening to appeal to the average Nomad. :lol:

[Edited on 11-10-2011 by Hook]

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 07:20 PM
Here's a link to the dehydrator I have

http://www.calibex.com/Koolatron-Total-Chef-5-650019486/cb2/...

There are a lot of plans for using solar heat also.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2006-08-01/Bui...

[Edited on 11-11-2011 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 08:15 PM

Hook - check your U2U.

re Lettuce. Problem is germination in Aug/Sep/Oct - think its a straight heat issue - lettuce sits under 80% sun cloth. Also my seed is close to three years old . . . . need to do some serious shopping next trip to San Diego - typically buy from Seeds of Change for the heirloom stuff, also Burpees.

Here in La Paz there is only one commercial seed store and most of that is hybrid. Not bad produce, but no useable seeds and only two tomatoes (Rio Grande and Roma - neither my favorites).

New-bird-nets-on-tomatoes.jpg - 39kB
Nan&D
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2011 at 09:06 AM

Learning as I go in this new climate, I'm finding getting seeds to germinate harder than growing roses! Last year I got seeds in Viscaino at the ag supply, and they did better than ones I'd brought from north. This year I planted early in Oct and have good green beans and zucchini coming up, but the carrots, lettuce and spinach are spotty and no show on the basil. Now I suspect I planted too early? We add considerably to our soil with mesquite/rotted manure/peat moss combos, and have used alfalfa for mulching---I'll start adding it to the soil mix too. We have a good drip system, lucky thing as Sapa is starting to put water meters in....
I'd love to hear some advice on day length timing.
Thanks, Nan

Visit us for info and pics of Bahia Asuncion and Galaria Bahia at http://www.nancypridham.blogspot.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2011 at 11:24 AM

From what I've heard, temps over 80F is not good for germinating many leafys. Part of it is how shallow they are planted. Same goes for carrots. Your beans and zukes are planted deeper and dont get as hot.

When my daytime temps are 80+, I let my seed trays stay in the sun only a few hours in the AM. Then I move them into the shade, when the air temp rises above 85 or so. Then they go indoors for the night. Once the seedlings emerge, they get full sun BUT YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE MOISTURE LEVEL OF THE SOIL. Dont let them dry out and dont overwater them. You want the soil moist but not wet, including during actual germination.

Nan, I think your "season" in Asuncion might be very different than mine. I think your season might more closely resemble a NOB season, depending on how close to the ocean you are. Dont you get lots of overcast and cool weather from late Dec through July or so?

[Edited on 11-11-2011 by Hook]

Nan&D
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2011 at 12:18 PM

Thanks Hook and DJ. We've so far only been in Asuncion from late Sept to April, we get lots of sun and temps usually in the 70's. I think May and June get morning fog. Being close to the ocean here means we get alot of wind though, so that affects soil moisture...I'm re-seeding with new seed this week in a new well prepped bed, hope to post pics of green soon.

Visit us for info and pics of Bahia Asuncion and Galaria Bahia at http://www.nancypridham.blogspot.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2011 at 12:18 PM

Jorge, thanks for the info on the herbs, the beans, the tomato and the crispino recommendations. I am admittedly doing some experimenting with varieties, simply on the basis of the reviews I read on some internet seed sites.

How would the vetch/barley mix work in my off season? That's really June through September? Could I/should I try that one summer in place of the plastic sterilization process? Would it flower in that interval?

I guess I'm also wondering if I turn it under, green, in early October, how long would I have to wait before planting? I really dont want to give up any of my growing season.

Went to a harvest festival in Paonia, Colorado this past fall. One variety of tomato really knocked my socks off in terms of flavor. Amish paste. Have you ever grown that?

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2011 at 04:01 PM

Irrigating it would be no problem, even while I was gone.

But, imagine my glee, when I saw pics of full grown sudangrass and cowpea in THIS article.

What fun turning that under must be; on a hot, humid day in mid October! :lol: Remember, no Massey Ferguson options for us backyard gardeners.

I expect I will be hiring young Mexicans to do THAT kind of work.........

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-11-2011 at 08:46 PM

good thread! keep the ideas coming...

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 06:53 AM

Where do Baja Sur gardeners buy their bird netting? La Paz? Los Cabos?

[Edited on 11-28-2011 by Cardon Man]
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 08:38 AM

Nan&;D - good luck with that basil - been trying for 10 years! Could not find any bird netting in Baja Sur, bought it in the States and used as mattress on the way back down.

One problem with alfalfa cover crop was that the longer you leave it (we let it grow to flowering - the bees thank us!), the tougher the roots get. I bought a Troybilt 10HP tiller from Amazon and that REALLY makes a difference in both turning in the crop and preparing new gardens.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 09:39 AM

Very surprised people are having trouble with basil. I grow the Genovese variety and had 6 plants that grew to almost three feet tall. Trunks were about an inch thick. That was in one year. I removed five and gave them to others and they are all thriving. Mine probably got 10 hours of sun per day.

Now, I've got volunteers coming up all over the place.

It's bee a tough last week. We got a 2-3 inch downpour, followed by a hot, dry wind off the deserts that blew at 20-25 mph (gusts to 48!) for about 36 hours. Still trying to determine how much damage I've gotten.

I expect to have my first salad this weekend; a combo of arugula and Bloomindale spinach. :bounce:

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 10:17 AM

This is a great topic!
Whenever I head to the beach house, I seem to end up helping the neighbors with their garden / landscaping questions...oh and my manual help too .......for a home cooked meal :-)

One of the questions I get a lot down there is...what to use for fertilizer. I tell them to go to the fish market and get the fish guts, heads...bones...whatever waste. Put in all in a 5 gallon bucket, fill with water, cover with a tight lid, and let it sit for a month or too.

Apply this to the plants. Stinks for a day or two. Your tomatoes will be the size of watermelons ;)

The other method is to simply bury the waste of fish....in the soil...then plant up top. Early Americans did this.

There is many things that you can use...from the Baja region.

Here's some data I C/C off the web:
Manures: Animal manures provide lots of organic matter to the soil, but most have low nutrient value. A few, such as chicken manure, do have high available nitrogen content, but should only be used composted because the fresh manure can burn the roots of tender seedlings.

Bat/seabird guano: Yes, this is what it sounds like — the poop from bats and seabirds. It comes in powdered or pellet form and is actually high in nitrogen (10 to 12 percent). Bat guano only provides about 2 percent phosphorous and no potassium, but seabird guano contains 10 to 12 percent P, plus 2 percent K. The concentrated nitrogen in these products can burn young plants if not used carefully. They tend to be more expensive than land-animal manures.

Blood meal: This is the powdered blood from slaughtered animals. It contains about 14 percent nitrogen and many micronutrients. Leafy, nitrogen-loving plants, such as lettuce, grow well with this fertilizer. It also reportedly repels deer, but may attract dogs and cats.

Bone meal: A popular source of phosphorous (11 percent) and calcium (22 percent), bone meal is derived from animal or fish bones and commonly used in a powdered form on root crops and bulbs. It also contains 2 percent nitrogen and many micronutrients. It may attract rodents.

Fish products: Fish by-products make excellent fertilizers. You can buy them in several different forms. Fish emulsion is derived from fermented remains of fish. This liquid product can have a fishy smell (even the deodorized version), but it's a great complete fertilizer (5-2-2) and adds trace elements to the soil. When mixed with water, it is gentle, yet effective for stimulating the growth of young seedlings. Hydrolyzed fish powder has higher nitrogen content (12 percent) and is mixed with water and sprayed on plants. Fish meal is high in nitrogen and phosphorus and is applied to the soil. Some products blend fish with seaweed or kelp for added nutrition and growth stimulation.

[Edited on 11-30-2011 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 08:29 AM

Mcfez - your fish suggestion is pure (liquid) gold. I have been wondering what to do with fishy leftovers but was hung up on the bones lying all over the garden . . . will they dissolve over time in the bucket?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 09:02 AM

There is a community program in La Paz, BCS called NOS at the old Cemex tower by the water between Sinaloa and Nayarit. There are knowledge sharing events about gardening and resources with a meetup event this Saturday Dec 3rd at 10am. I think you can stop by whenever you want and say hi.

There are resources to learn about compost, fish emulsion, seed sharing, and methods to garden in the desert, plus group outreach to paint over graffiti, clean up and share ideas to reduce waste.

I am not directly associated with the community group nor a representative, but I stop in and share ideas and learn.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 09:30 AM

I love gardening.

I also had a hydropondic garden next to mi Coyote casa for many years.

It produced several delicious rabbit dinners.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 02:14 PM

I didn't have any problem germinating any of the leafy vegies (lettuces/bok choy, etc.) in the hot summers of Texas when I lived there---but I kept them in the shade until they were put in the ground in mid September-ish where you hoped for enough time before the big freezes came in (which didn't kill most the greens but did keep them from growing any more).

The best hot weather vegies were Okra, Sweet Potatoes, melons/squash, and some of the peppers. Sweet potatoes seemed to do quite well even with low water.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
Mcfez - your fish suggestion is pure (liquid) gold. I have been wondering what to do with fishy leftovers but was hung up on the bones lying all over the garden . . . will they dissolve over time in the bucket?

Yes, the bones will turn to calcium and other micro nutrients that is needed for plant growth. The wetness from watering the garden...deploys the bones into a rapid breakdown.

Dont use catfish waste....the dogs will go nuts for that area ;)

[Edited on 12-2-2011 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.