Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ultimate flying yacht
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 09:01 AM
ultimate flying yacht

http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2011/11/a-day-on-a-flying-y...

Jimmy Buffet's Albatross was nice, sure.... but this!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 09:56 AM

That IS nice, Mike. Any info on whose? Did I ever mention to you that Diana's father flew the Clipper Ships for Pan Am? Navy pilot first, then went to Pan Am. He remained with the airline until '56 I think.

We have all his journals and diaries from those times. Some photos too. Even have one of him flying one of the 'boats' over a partially-finished Golden Gate Bridge.

Allen R

On Edit: Is that a PBY Cat?

[Edited on 11-13-2011 by bufeo]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 10:31 AM

yeah, a PBY i think.
sent from a buddy who is Sr capt with US air.

i have a framed pix of a pan am clipper coming into SFO from hawaii over the GG in 1933.
very cool stuff!
thx Allen.

no idea who owned it or who the people were.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 10:41 AM

PBY6A Flying Boat or known as the Catalina.

Boy, this brought back many Memories. When I cam back from korea I was assigned to FAETUPAK on North Island San diego. I became Plane Capt. on one of the four we had in the Swuadon.

We used it basically to fly over to El Centro and train new pilots on Radar Runs to a Target on the Salton Sea.
It took off at 80 Kts. Climbed at 80KTs, Cruised at 80 and landed at 80 Kts.
We gave two of these to the French Govt. We fitted them with extra Long Range Tanks and flew them to Nice France.

Slow but dependable. My very Favorite Airplane in the Navy

Skeet/Loreto.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 10:59 AM

I did a little bit of futher research on this particular Cat, Mike. Turns out this plane was lost in a crash in Brazil. According to David Legg of the "Catalina Society" it "crashed on landing near the city of Ubatuba, State of Sao Paulo, 5/7/1953."

Allen R
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 11:12 AM

This airplane was instrumental in The battle of Midway, the turning point of the war against the Japanese in the Pacific. Two patrolling PBY's spotted the elusive Japanese fleet and radioed their position, setting the stage for the battle from which the Japanese never recovered their Naval strength after loosing four of their carriers. The US Navy took some heavy blows but won the battle.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 11:15 AM

The Catalina had "Dual Controls. I as Flight Engineer sat in the "Tower" which was located where the Wing Connected to the Fuselage. I had to climb up and set with a full array of Engine control including the Wingtip Floats.

It had Twin R-2800 Engines, the SparkPlugs which had to be regulary changed.
When flying over the Salton Sea we had a Huge under the Wing Searchlight as we made the approach on basic Radar the Traing Pilot would turn on the SearchLight at about 1500 Feet over the Target., We would go back to the El Centro Base, change the Carbon Fuse on the Searchligh and go for several more runs, returning to San Diego North Island about 4 in the morning.
Good Duty!!

Skeet
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 11:59 AM

My Dad was a PBY pilot for the Navy in Hawaii in the late '30's. He ferried several PBY's from the mainland to Hawaii in about 1936 I believe. He was making a landing in Pearl Harbor in late 1938 and something went wrong (nobody really knows what, but probably pilot error) and the plane veered left on touchdown in the bay and hit a big pier, killing my Dad and his co-pilot-----everybody else survived just fine. My Dad, an amatuer Archaeologist, had been digging around in some ancient Hawaiian graves several days before-------you can imagine the head-nodding and rumors in the Native Hawaiian community----the graves had a curse on them, of course?!?!?!?!?!?.

It was a great airplane, I understand, tho I have never flown one.

Barry
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 12:21 PM

Nice ploat (plane and boat). I want one.

Does the blond in the "itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini" come with it? :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 12:24 PM

That's Santa Monica Bay off of Venice Beach.

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 12:29 PM

I'll look through my father-in-law's Flight Logs for an entry circa 1941 or '42. He told me a story of landing what I remember as a PBY in Ensenada after bad weather forced them south of San Diego but it may have been a 'Commodore'.

Right now, though, my dog and I are going to look for a pheasant or two.

Allen R
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Fantastic historic photos Mike. I especially like the photos of the blond woman with the big,,,,, errrrr.... lips!:lol:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 08:44 AM

Barry - sorry to hear of your father. Tough way to go.
i too lost mine in an accident, car not plane, but when i was young.
hurts every day. you never really get over it.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

Fantastic historic photos Mike. I especially like the photos of the blond woman with the big,,,,, errrrr.... lips!:lol:

That group was having a LOT of fun!

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 10:39 AM

Thanks for posting those photos,Cpt. Mike. Like the others, they stimulate some interesting stories. In about 1974 I was sitting on the porch of my Baja house on Coyote Bay. A PBY landed far out in Conception Bay and taxied right up to the beach in front and put his anchor out. I paddled out on my windsurfer board and greeted them. They invited me aboard and gave me a tour. It was just like the one in the photos, but updated with a microwave oven. The pilots were two WWll veterans (actually resembling the two in the LIFE article) with their girlfriends. They were based in Long Beach and were beginning an adventure of flying all thru Mexico. That afternoon they came up to the house for c-cktails and dinner and regaled us with many war stories and adventures in that PBY. The next morning they taxied out and took off using about half of Conception Bay. I can only imagine the fun those two couples had! Thanks for bringing up that great memory with your photos.
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 05:44 PM

Cool! AWESOME story Vince! Love to hear them! :-)

READY SET.....................
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 05:53 PM

I had an old and retired Coast Guard Chief Aviation Machinist who worked on my old Cessna years ago tell me that any sea plane operated in salt water required 12 HOURS OF MAINTENANCE FOR EVERY 1 HOUR OF FLIGHT. He said that aluminum and magnesium tend to fall apart when they get dunked in salt water...I believe that. Maybe that's why there are so few ex military sea planes available. I know of a pretty good Grumman Albatross and of another decent Catalina but that's about it.

I know that people who have the temerity to land their birds at Alfonsina's when there is water on the runway always regret it to da max about two days later.

BB:-)
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 05:57 PM

Quote:

Yeah, Jimmy's wife wouldn't let him have all those women on board.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.