Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichnLinda
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Absolutely not wishing to diminish the fact that Jesse's restaurant is perhaps the best in all of BCS, I have to admit that the Thanksgiving menu did give me pause, simply because Thanksgiving is not a holiday in Mexico.

Pandering to the gringo and ex-pat crowd? :?:

Día de Gracias has been co-opted by many in Mexico. After all....it's good food.
Speaking of which.....I saw Turkeys for sale in WalMart here yesterday and the price is staggering. It must be difficult for a restaurant to price a dinner and still make a profit.
I'm under the impression that there's a huge Turkey industry in Mexico, judgeing from the many brands of Turkey hotdogs for sale in the stores.
Another thing that takes up a lot of freezer space here is Smoked Turkey. The whole bird....smoked. One of these days I'll get drunk brave and buy one, just to see what it's about.
Dennis most people I have talked to get their turkeys in the states or get who ever is going in to pick one up.

You'll love this then. In CLS a grocery store is selling expired-date frozen turkeys for $849 pesos -- $63 dollars. Must be a big one! LOL Can't be much of a market for them if they sit in the store freezers for over two years years.

http://noticabos.org/2011/11/17/supermercado-de-los-cabos-ve...

"Los Cabos supermarket sells turkeys to tourists that expired two years ago
Se trata del supermercado Arámburo, que queda en pleno centro de la ciudad de Cabo San Lucas y el cual atiende a una clientela conformada por más del 80% de turistas. El pavo tenía fecha de caducidad de enero de 2010, es decir, para comerlo en Navidad o Fin de Año del 2009.

Noticabos ha recibido distintos tipos de agresiones verbales por haber publicado distintos temas en defensa de los turistas por sobre las “Vergüenzas” del Municipio y del Estado. Entre los mínimos conceptos que hemos recibidos, están los de que somos los responsables de espantar al turismo. Sin embargo, no somos nosotros, sino los comerciantes inescrupulosos, y las autoridades que no hacen sus trabajos.

This is about the Arámburo supermarket that is in downtown Cabo San Lucas and which has customers who are 80% tourists. The turkey had a January, 2010 expiration date, that is to say, it was for eating for Christmas 2009 or the New Years.

Noticabos has received many verbal complaints against us for publicizing matters in defense of tourists and embarrassing the town and the state. Among the complaints we have received is that we are responsible for scaring away tourists. However, it is not us, but the unscrupulous businesses and the authorities who do not do their job."

(This years's frozen Turkeys at Von's and Ralph's for $8-$11 with a $25 purchase.)

[Edited on 11-19-2011 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely not wishing to diminish the fact that Jesse's restaurant is perhaps the best in all of BCS, I have to admit that the Thanksgiving menu did give me pause, simply because Thanksgiving is not a holiday in Mexico.

Día de Gracias has been co-opted by many in Mexico. After all....it's good food.
Speaking of which.....I saw Turkeys for sale in WalMart here yesterday and the price is staggering. It must be difficult for a restaurant to price a dinner and still make a profit.
I'm under the impression that there's a huge Turkey industry in Mexico, judgeing from the many brands of Turkey hotdogs for sale in the stores.
Another thing that takes up a lot of freezer space here is Smoked Turkey. The whole bird....smoked. One of these days I'll get drunk brave and buy one, just to see what it's about.
Dennis most people I have talked to get their turkeys in the states or get who ever is going in to pick one up.

You'll love this then. In CLS a grocery store is selling expired-date frozen turkeys for $849 pesos -- $63 dollars. Must be a big one! LOL Can't be much of a market for them if they sit in the store freezers for over two years years.

Se trata del supermercado Arámburo, que queda en pleno centro de la ciudad de Cabo San Lucas y el cual atiende a una clientela conformada por más del 80% de turistas. El pavo tenía fecha de caducidad de enero de 2010, es decir, para comerlo en Navidad o Fin de Año del 2009.

Noticabos ha recibido distintos tipos de agresiones verbales por haber publicado distintos temas en defensa de los turistas por sobre las “Vergüenzas” del Municipio y del Estado. Entre los mínimos conceptos que hemos recibidos, están los de que somos los responsables de espantar al turismo. Sin embargo, no somos nosotros, sino los comerciantes inescrupulosos, y las autoridades que no hacen sus trabajos.

This is about the Arámburo supermarket that is in downtown Cabo San Lucas and which has customers who are 80% tourists. The turkey had a January, 2010 expiration date, that is to say, it was for eating for Christmas 2009 or the New Years.

Noticabos has received many verbal complaints against us for publicizing matters in defense of tourists and embarrassing the town and the state. Among the complaints we have received is that we are responsible for scaring away tourists. However, it is not us, but the unscrupulous businesses and the authorities who do not do their job."

(This years's frozen Turkeys at Von's and Ralph's for $8-$11 with a $25 purchase.)

Sound's like a great deal with the $25 purchase but they are not Butterball®. There are turkey's and then there are Butterball®.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 12:49 PM

"Sound's like a great deal with the $25 purchase but they are not Butterball®. There are turkey's and then there are Butterball®."

When you brine it- where does the Butter go?
:wow:

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 01:01 PM
It's Good Living Just South of the Border in Rosarito

Mija arrived on Thursday, after shopping in San Diego for our early Thanksgiving feast (she has to get back to work).

She bought a 24.63 lbs. turkey for $34.24 (before discount).

It is roasting in the oven now!

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
What's the danger of expired frozen turkey, anyhow? I mean, it's going to be cooked for several hours ... :?:

Then why have an expiration date?
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano
Quote:
What's the danger of expired frozen turkey, anyhow? I mean, it's going to be cooked for several hours ... :?:

Then why have an expiration date?

"Freezer Burn" changes the flavor and texture profiles. You would also need to consider that it may have been inadvertently defrosted a few times over those two years sitting in a CSL freezer. That would make it dangerous to eat.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll stick with Jesse's version, thanks.

We have a local market in Imperial Beach---used to be an IGA. They sell lots of outdated stuff and are not happy when we show them something outdated. One carton of cream cheese was six months out of date. Nor was the owner happy when she would not accept the label and receipt for some spoiled chicken we bought one day and she wanted to see the chicken. We did as she asked.

We had opened the package of chicken right when we got home, and well there is nothing that smells as bad as spoiled chicken, so it went into the trash. But she wanted it, so we came home, pulled it out of the trash and took it back, opened the bag and set it on her counter---she was not a happy camper but refunded our money.

But the turkeys were the best. Several months after the holidays they had a sell on FRESH turkeys and John bought one. And yes, there was an expiration date on the top label. But as I went to open the wrapping, I noticed another label that had been covered over. It was the original label that had an expiration date of several months before. She had frozen the left over holiday turkeys, thawed them out and was selling them as FRESH turkeys---back to the store it went. That was the final straw even though they are the closest market.

The Von's deal is great and we stock up on Turkey's over the holidays and keep them frozen for later in the year and to take to Baja to share with friends who seldom get to eat turkey and even if we take two days to get to BA, if we do not open the Igloo, every thing stays very frozen. It takes nothing to spend $25.00 to get the deal on the smaller birds.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 02:45 PM

Buying meat "on sale" is always risky business.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 03:15 PM

Put that bird in one of those baking bags, toss in anything else that you want along with it. Follow directions. It'll be a bird to remember.:yes:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My first thought, as I started to read your post, was that it had to be Aramburo.

This guy was the first elected governor of BCS, and virtually owned the only supermarkets to be found. (excluding the mom and pop bodegas)

For a long time, his Supermercado Plaza in downtown San Lucas was a magnet for the tourist from the local hotels and timeshares.

If memory serves me, despite Aramburo's lobbying, somewhere around ten years ago, Soriana built a store in Brisas Del Pacifico, shortly followed by a CCC store. Mind you that CCC was a small family run business that had but two other stores in La Paz.

Once Soriana broke the log jam, well... the Los Cabos folks have since seen the opening of another Soriana, a Comex (Mega), a Walmart, Sam's Club Costco, and City Club.

Aramburo's original location was, from its early days, a sorry place. But since he catered to the gringo tourist, business was brisk, because those tourist preferred to by milk imported from California, for instance.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:

Gee... unless one has gone majorly more "native" than most folks here on this board, it's those local "panderers" that make life in Mexico attractive or perhaps even bearable for gringos. Tell me you don't appreciate easily being able to use dollars, finding your favorite imported foodstuffs, a doctor who speaks "your" language, driving around with foreign-plated cars, etc. :)

Actually, your comments beg the whole issue of why folks move to foreign countries. I clearly remember how overjoyed the time share sales people were when a McDonalds opened in Cabo.

What you cite is clearly the difference between people who relocate to a foreign country simply for lower overhead, but really want to live the lifestyle from back home cheaper.

Ajijic. Check it out. Gringos in a walled community near Guadalajara- a great example.

Have your cake and eat it.

Hey. If it works for you, great. Just pointing out that folks choosing to live in a foreign nation should, first and foremost, realize they are in a foreign nation.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Hey. If it works for you, great. Just pointing out that folks choosing to live in a foreign nation should, first and foremost, realize they are in a foreign nation.

So the Pilgrims never should have introduced Thanksgiving to the native americans in the first place?

:saint::saint:

[Edited on 11-20-2011 by Woooosh]

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 06:32 PM

When Teina and her sister and I had the "turkey Feasts" in San Felipe, I smoked all the turkeys - 9 one year. Brinkman smokers - all night. A few Nomads can tell you how they tasted. :saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 06:41 PM

Now that's one gorgeous bacon wrapped turkey dog!
:light:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Here is how I smoke my Turkey, with layers of bacon on top.

Oh, it's getting close to Turkey Day... cannot wait!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Mija arrived on Thursday, after shopping in San Diego for our early Thanksgiving feast (she has to get back to work).

She bought a 24.63 lbs. turkey for $34.24 (before discount).

It is roasting in the oven now!

Great deal. Just a few minutes ago I saw them at Albertsons for $46.00
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 07:58 PM

Good friend part-timer next door came into town the other day and handed over to us a 15lb turkey. He said he got a two for one turkey thing NODB and at first thought what would I do with two.....then thought it could work as ice in the cooler and he knew we would know what to do with a surprise turkey!
Yahoo for us! Have enjoyed apple-onion stuffed bbq turkey these past days and are looking forward to friends and family starting to arrive for the traditional stuff.
OK, nothing really of interest here other than just nice turkey and Thanksgiving thoughts. Lucky us. Tenemos suerte bueno.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2011 at 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Quote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll stick with Jesse's version, thanks.

We have a local market in Imperial Beach---used to be an IGA. They sell lots of outdated stuff and are not happy when we show them something outdated. One carton of cream cheese was six months out of date. Nor was the owner happy when she would not accept the label and receipt for some spoiled chicken we bought one day and she wanted to see the chicken. We did as she asked.

We had opened the package of chicken right when we got home, and well there is nothing that smells as bad as spoiled chicken, so it went into the trash. But she wanted it, so we came home, pulled it out of the trash and took it back, opened the bag and set it on her counter---she was not a happy camper but refunded our money.

But the turkeys were the best. Several months after the holidays they had a sell on FRESH turkeys and John bought one. And yes, there was an expiration date on the top label. But as I went to open the wrapping, I noticed another label that had been covered over. It was the original label that had an expiration date of several months before. She had frozen the left over holiday turkeys, thawed them out and was selling them as FRESH turkeys---back to the store it went. That was the final straw even though they are the closest market.

The Von's deal is great and we stock up on Turkey's over the holidays and keep them frozen for later in the year and to take to Baja to share with friends who seldom get to eat turkey and even if we take two days to get to BA, if we do not open the Igloo, every thing stays very frozen. It takes nothing to spend $25.00 to get the deal on the smaller birds.

Where is that market, is it on Coronado?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 11:35 PM

Man, turkey's are expensive this year. But that will NOT stop me from smoking my bird with bacon on top!:spingrin:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.