BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: South Fork of the American River---Opps, North Fork it is.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 12:21 AM
South Fork of the American River---Opps, North Fork it is.

The old bridge on the way to Iowa Hill

The last time we were here, we crossed on this old bridge.

BTW--on this trip to from San Diego to Grass Valley and back, we traveled approximately 3000 miles------ as usual, we did not take the direct route. :biggrin:

[Edited on 12-13-2011 by DianaT]

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by DianaT]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 12:43 AM

Like your routes... great shots ... thanks :):)

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 07:21 AM

Thanks, is the bridge still in use?

bacquito
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 08:40 AM

You can get shot there for hiking!!....a lot of the river bank, sand bars and gravel ledges are active gold claims.

In the winter and spring the gold gets washed out of the "mother lode" in the Sierras and goes down the American River where it gets deposited in the gravels and sands in the river bends. That's where it was discovered in 1849 and that's where it still gets deposited. With the price of gold way up there people are spending more time on their claims. Be careful and don't trespass ...those guys play for keeps.

BB
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 08:42 AM
Ditto the Yuba river

I should have mentioned that the same caution applies in the Yuba River.

BB
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 08:49 AM

I lived in Weimar, just a few miles from that bridge, for 15 years. Used to sit near the bridge and have a beer or two. Then go to the restaurant up the road and have lunch. Lots of neat old stuff to see in Iowa Hill.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 08:57 AM

Did a lot of deer hunting in that neck of the woods. The road to Iowa Hill up the canyon used to be one way dirt, Hairy if you had oncoming traffic. I believe this is also the area where a guy, wading kneedeep in the river, stumbled onto a huge nugget, not too many years ago.
Beautiful country. Thanks Diane.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 09:50 AM

Thanks for looking and for the comments.

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Like your routes... great shots ... thanks :):)

Thanks---we seldom take a direct route. From San Diego we went to visit John's mother in Grass Valley, we ended up driving about 3000 miles. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Thanks, is the bridge still in use?

No. :no: I was standing on the new bridge when I took one of the pictures. There is a fairly new state campground there now.

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I lived in Weimar, just a few miles from that bridge, for 15 years. Used to sit near the bridge and have a beer or two. Then go to the restaurant up the road and have lunch. Lots of neat old stuff to see in Iowa Hill.

Before she moved to the Brett Harte Retirement Hotel in Grass Valley, John's mother lived right outside of Colfax for about 40 years---right off of Highway 174. So you were practically neighbors. We didn't go all the way to Iowa Hill this time as we were taking her for a drive and she was getting real tired -- easy to do at 93. It is one place that does not seem to change much.

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Did a lot of deer hunting in that neck of the woods. The road to Iowa Hill up the canyon used to be one way dirt, Hairy if you had oncoming traffic. I believe this is also the area where a guy, wading kneedeep in the river, stumbled onto a huge nugget, not too many years ago.
Beautiful country. Thanks Diane.

Saw a big bobcat crossing the road this time. I asked him to please stop and pose for a picture, but he refused. It is beautiful country.

[Edited on 12-14-2011 by DianaT]

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2011 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
The old bridge on the way to Iowa Hill

The last time we were here, we crossed on this old bridge.

BTW--on this trip to from San Diego to Grass Valley and back, we traveled approximately 3000 miles------ as usual, we did not take the direct route. :biggrin:

You got to be kidding me! My Grandmother's cousins lived there. Fact is....many of my early family lived in the Colfax, Red Dog, Camel's Hump, Chalk Bluff areas. Last names of Stehr and Grey.

I had thought that old bridge was taken out and replaced. First time on that road was scarey....that drop off cliff to your right going up the hill......and a VERY one lane road at the time (1970's) . The original bar/motel has since been destroyed by fire....my understanding.

My Grandmother's cousins below, at my house 1995

[Edited on 12-14-2011 by mcfez]

iwo.jpg - 47kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2011 at 09:43 AM
McFez

I will ask her if she knew anyone by those last names. If any of them were involved in something masonic, she almost certainly did. At 93 she still goes to Eastern Star Meetings with her 95 year old friend who still drives!

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2011 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
I will ask her if she knew anyone by those last names. If any of them were involved in something masonic, she almost certainly did. At 93 she still goes to Eastern Star Meetings with her 95 year old friend who still drives!

These two ladies in the picture....at the time...was 98 and 101 years old!!!

They were very alert. fact is...they were telling us stories of how they arrived via covered wagon. Geese! My Mother had done a detail family tree and historic research on the entire area and it's families. I will not be surprise to find out there are connections.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2011 at 08:18 PM

I guess you could say she's as old as the hills.
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 08:36 PM
Faves

Thanks for this Trip Report, I believe the images are outstanding and tell so much about these places. With my new "learner's permit" from the DMV in '74, homies and I did Route 49, from start to finish. Having visited all these places you have pictured, the fond memories are vivid. Thanks for the outstanding pics! Killer stuff!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 08:57 PM

Diana-----------Back in the late '80's for five years I rafted and kayaked the NORTH Fork of the American River many times, and I think that bridge, and certainly "Iowa Hill" road, is over and adjacent too, the NORTH Fork of the American river, not the SOUTH Fork.

Please correct me if I am wrong here (it was a longgggg time ago).

We use to "take out" right below that bridge, I think. :?:

Barry

(corrected for spelling)

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by Barry A.]
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 09:27 PM

Wow - love those old bridges!! Beautiful Diane:)

carpe diem!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Diana-----------Back in the late '80's for five years I rafted and kayaked the NORTH Fork of the American River many times, and I think that bridge, and certainly "Iowa Hill" road, is over and adjacent too, the NORTH Fork of the American river, not the SOUTH Fork.

Please correct me if I am wrong here (it was a longgggg time ago).

We use to "take out" right below that bridge, I think. :?:

Barry

(corrected for spelling)

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by Barry A.]

Your memory is very good---it is the NORTH and not the SOUTH fork of the big river! One big Opps :saint:

Just because I seldom know where north or south is, there is no excuse for this mistake. I do know the difference!

Thanks Barry.

El Vergel --- a big thanks and you too Ken!

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by DianaT]

Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 08:11 AM

Thank you !!!! I have lived here all my life & have used the old bridge many times... I am sure I have seen one or both of the nice ladys in the past !!!!!! keep on trucking !!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.