Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nevada State RR Museum
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2011 at 09:37 PM
Nevada State RR Museum

I just love all trains and old steam engines are special

And I so miss the caboose!

If one is anywhere near Carson City, Nevada, this is a place well worth a visit---the museum is great.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 11:54 AM
Great place to see...

...old rolling stock...

That RR museum cares for some original Virginia & Truckee rolling stock -

Also in the area, just 'up the hill' on Hwy 50, east of downtown Carson City you can find the current depot for the 'new' private, Virginia & Truckee RR... http://www.virginiatruckee.com/

As you can see on their site, they now run RR trips from Carson all the way up to Virginia City - a great, fun way to see the area...rich in mining history, May through October...

I believe they plan to extend the current Carson Depot closer to downtown in the future to make it an even better experience...

The original V & T RR is steeped in history during the great silver mining years in the Virginia City area - Mark Twain probably rode that line many times when he lived in VC and wrote for the Territorial Enterprise newspaper there...

It's great to see a bit of the old west being revived for us techies to visit... ;)

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 12:50 PM

Diana,
just out of curiosity, do you motel it during those type of trips?
Barb and I have made many of those driving vacations.
Getting too old now to be comfy living out of a suitcase though. But they sure were fun. Did it for years in a motorhome also.
Enjoy your adventures. Thanks !!

[Edited on 12-16-2011 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 01:34 PM

DainaT., Thanks. Only took one ride on a train. Was a neat experience. Went to the World's Fair in New Orleans way back when. Was a passenger to and fro on the "The Hummingbird". Sweet trip. She was humming all the way.:biggrin:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Diana,
just out of curiosity, do you motel it during those type of trips?
Barb and I have made many of those driving vacations.
Getting too old now to be comfy living out of a suitcase though. But they sure were fun. Did it for years in a motorhome also.
Enjoy your adventures. Thanks !!

[Edited on 12-16-2011 by vandenberg]

At this time we motel it. Fortunately, both of us just like to keep going and see what is on the other side of the hill. It is probably the main reason we still have our house in BA on the market. We love it there, have lots of friends and want to continue to visit, but there are many other places that call us that we want to visit while we can.

Mexray,

Good to know others really love trains. :yes:

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 11:26 PM
Diana...

...Yes, I'm a sucker for old train stuff...

I'm old enough to remember growing up on the SF Peninsula watching those great flashy SP Daylight passenger trains roll by...

What sweet sounds, smells and overwhelming feelings as those massive drivers thundered by, just a few feet away... :o

As kids, we did all those kid things, like laying a penny on the rails as you saw the engine's star light approaching...I might still have a couple of em' around in a jar somewhere...;D

SP Daylight 4449.jpg - 40kB

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
...Yes, I'm a sucker for old train stuff...

As kids, we did all those kid things, like laying a penny on the rails as you saw the engine's star light approaching...I might still have a couple of em' around in a jar somewhere...;D

This summer when we were in north central Montana, John could not resist putting a few pennies on the track. We found two of them in the morning and they sure do not look like the old pennies did after being smashed.

That is one beautiful engine! Thanks

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.