Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with Sunset deck
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 12:20 PM
Help with Sunset deck

Hello amigos,
I am hoping to get some advice from some of the expert builder members out there. Having just seen Oladulces' beautiful arched patio structure I am hoping for some inspiration. We have built a pool (and yes it is still swimmable in Jan) and next to it is a shaded structure for hammocks, etc. The idea was to put solar mats on top of the structure for keeping the pool warmer in the winter months. but we are thinking of scrapping the solar mat idea and using the space for a sun deck (it has a great view of the sunset over the cactus fields). Thinking there would be lots of weight from the water in the collectors I had footing put in around the entire perimeter and poured concrete columns to support t all. Its pretty ugly. But what would you all recommend to put on top of this structure to make a little it nicer to look at?
Basic poured concrete with pulido floor and wooden railing? (I have a quote for this at approx. $3000 usd). The pulido floor is nice under bare feet and great for Yoga sessions. Or would you use wood? I love the feel of wood and it is such a rarity here in BCS. I am not sure of the cost of this yet. Any ideas out there? I have attached a few pics so you get an idea of the space. It is pretty big at about 14 feet deep and 25 feet wide approx. The square structure is the pump and filter house with improv "door".

IMG_1840.JPG - 48kB

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 12:22 PM

view from the upper terraced garden and will also be the access to the deck

IMG_1842.JPG - 49kB

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 12:27 PM
rewards

Here is the reward after a long day at work or play here in BCS.
I had many questions about building a pool on this forum and would like to thank everyone that replied. I also apologize for not sending in pics earlier. The "basically a hole in the ground with water" is now complete...

IMG_1801.JPG - 49kB

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 12:29 PM
another angle

I dont want to let the beautiful pool down with an ugly duckling deck so would love to hear some suggestions. I would of preferred a basic palo de arco media sombra but it is too late for that now as I was worried about holding weight. Que dicen?

IMG_1797.JPG - 47kB

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 01:22 PM

I think that a wood deck will weather very quickly where you are, and that it will become a curled up splinter nest within a couple of years. If you did go with wood, I would only put a penetrating oil finish on it, and would put on two coats on ALL SIDES AND EDGES before installing the decking. That will help on the cupping and curling. You will need to put additional coats on the weather side at regular intervals, but the un-exposed sides and edges should hold up for several years.
I like the idea of a concrete deck, with concrete posts that would carry a pole railing. Perhaps extend the posts high enough so you could put a shade awning above the patio in the summer?
I have seen low tech pool heating panels that we're made out of 500' of 3/8 black tubing, layed out on a sunny spot and either plumbed through a circulation pump, or set up so that convection moved the heated water from the pool through the heating tubes and back into the pool again.
I too like wood, but I think that the maintainence would be a pain.
Really nice pool, BTW!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 03:07 PM

500 ft black tubing does not work to heat a pool...
not enough volume of water travels thru the pipes
during the pump operation time
and a great pressure loss thru the piping too

dont waste your money...been there done that

concrete roofs are strong but need to be painted to seal them from the rain
walking on a painted roof damages the sealing paint

also you NEED to be sure the roof is sloped
don't assume the builder will understand it needs to drain correctly

your pool and deck looks great

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 11:11 PM

Love the pool BFS.

I can't think of a way you could build a flat deck with a railing on top of those white posts without it looking like a safari viewing platform or launchpad.The support posts are fairly small diameter to start with and if you add another level with plain flat deck it might look kinda weird. It seems like a single level palo de arco or ramada-type shade cover would be more suited, and more in scale with the posts you have . I agree, your pool is so nice, you'd be disappointed if you built a deck that was feo.

Everybody I know tries to keep out of the sun nowadays. Do you think if you built an uncovered upper deck it would get used much in midday?

Here are my thoughts: I like the view in photo #2 from your "terrace garden". It's sort of set back a little and allows you to enjoy the view of the pool and to see over the fence and the desert beyond. It appears to be almost as high as the 2nd level of a deck would be. Can't tell what's in that area from the picture though. Can you see the sunset from there? I think some those pavers that are on the pool deck, and a few lounge chairs and tables , and that might make a nice sunset viewing and star gazing area.

The shaded hammock/ramada area at the pool level could be used in the day and the upper terrace patio could be for the evening. I'm a fan of multi-level patios and outdoor areas. Could you use the spot where the picture was taken from to get your elevated patio area instead of building a double decker thing?

IMG_1842.JPG - 49kB
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 12:46 AM

Well...

I'm not a licensed Structural Engineer, BUT...your concrete columns don't look to me like they would carry the weight of anything heavier than a wooden deck, and even then, you're talking about putting a lot weight on them with a fairly wide span between your columns.

My other concern would be the quality of the concrete used. A lot of concrete used in Baja is of inferior quality due to using poor ingedients being mixed on the job site. Problems arise from using ingedients such as beach sand. Are you sure yours is good structural quality?

Personally, I'd be double sure that they'll carry the weight your proposing to add!

Miguelamo :?: :yes: :?: :yes:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 08:04 AM

it isn't the concrete that adds strength, it's the rebar.

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 06:07 PM

Thank you for the replies.
Yes I am a little afraid of the "safari viewing deck" look. Cant have that. I do like the idea of a small patio on that upper terraced area. I had not thought of that. Hmmmm.
Amo, the columns would get a beam all around the perimeter with lots of rebar to help hold any structure above.
My instinct is also to go with your standard palo de arco media sombra with no deck on top, it would be more in keeping with the rest of the house, BUT, it is kind of over engineered for that as I had in mind the weight of the filled solar mats. I guess I made a bad choice on that one as I could of just used beautiful wood Horcones for posts instead of the ugly concrete columns.
Still thinking... and thanks again a todos.

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 06:44 PM

I think that your columns are big enough to carry a poured deck. If, as is pointed out above, you have several lengths of rebar in them. If you gave the poured purlins (cross beams) some shape, say a light arch between the columns, it would help relieve the safari deck look.

The columns would look better if they were larger, perhaps a stone veneer?

Also pointed out above is the need to slope the deck for drainage, 1/2"/12" would be enough. perhaps even 1/4"/12" would do it, although the smaller pitch would increase the possibility of a bird bath or two.

Tile the surface, if you use clay tiles you'll have a maintainence issue as sealer will need to be applied regularly, I suggest ceramic (glazed) tile and good waterproof grout. If you use an epoxy grout it doesn't need sealer. (but it's much harder to apply).

I like palapa roofs, but I don't know how it would look with the rest of your place. A log and stick trellis (can't remember the correct name for them now) might provide shade and better match your architecture.

Make some models. A good tool to see how it might work in place.

[Edited on 1-16-2012 by Islandbuilder]
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 06:49 PM

One last thought: More important than the width of the columns is how they're attached to the ground. Are they tied in to the slab rebar, or better yet, the slab footing steel?

The taller the structure, and the heavier the patio and roof, the more important the sheer strength. If those columns are just sitting on the slab, I would put a shade cover on what you have and call it good.
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 08:21 PM

Thanks Sr Isla,
The columns are tied into a poured footing that has lots of rebar and goes around the perimeter. The slab was poured after that footing.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 01:07 PM
A different idea

Try the solar pool covers......will make the pool water 10=15 % warmer. Much cheaper.....easy.

Here's link for you to read about it.

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/ingroundsolarblanket.htm

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 01:51 PM

Again, I'm not an engineer, but I DO know that the nails you pull out of your bags that are facing the wrong way...are for the other side of the house.

I'd sacrifice all the extra structure you have in place and go hog wild with the options you have for a ramada roof. There are few limitations on what you can use for a roof structure given your supports. How about duplicating the pool patio design on the face of your new poured concrete beams, with a sombra that is recessed and hardly visible from the front. Quien sabes???

Pool heating is so far at the low tech end of the solar spectrum, and I doubt you have ANY shading issues, so that is wide open. Insulation is always a good idea; as suggested. You could easily support large diameter black pool heat tubing above your pretty shade material, and adjust your % of shade accordingly, huh?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.