BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Puerto Lopez Mateos Mag Bay
Chuck Decker

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 12:34 PM
Puerto Lopez Mateos Mag Bay

Does anyone have recent information on this place, I am going down in my plane twards the end of October and wanted to know prices on places to stay as well as renting a panga for 2 half days and 1 full day. We thought we would fish inside 2 half days and outsdie for tuna and marlin a full day, but I don't know if we can just show up and get a room and panga without reservations.

Thanks In Advance For Your Help
Chuck
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 12:45 PM

I was there in January, but it was a camping trip, so I can't tell you about places to stay or prices. As long as it is not whale watching season (and October is not) I cannot imagine any sort of problem with needing reservations for anything, though.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 07:10 PM
I've been there a couple times

and was trying to think of motels and couldn't. So I looked it up and what I could find was that during whale season, people hang out signs saying rooms for rent.
I have read of certain "ladies of ill repute" in that village but I can't imagine how that would work with no motels:?:
San Carlos has some pretty nice ones. Just do a search.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
....I have read of certain "ladies of ill repute" in that village but I can't imagine how that would work with no motels:?:....

Hammocks??:lol:
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 10-1-2004 at 11:02 PM

Chuck:
The airstrip (unpaved) is east-west oriented, immediately north of the cannery (biggest building in town, on the water. Dont know anything about approach radio.

The panga rental places are the other side of the cannery (south of), in a large parking lot at the pier. The Panguero Union guys were very nice & motivated in promoting tourism. Nearest boca is 2 miles away.

There is a least one motel that we noticed, in town next to the school.

have a great time! ;)

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by Baja&Back]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-2-2004 at 06:14 AM
Chuck - did you get my friend's contact

info following up on the radio show i did? I'll be there next weekend - Alicia and Patrick have the town wired. you should have by now gotton their email addy.

you do not need res. pangas abound, cut your deal. clean rooms no problem.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Chuck Decker

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 07:17 AM
Lopez Mateos

Hi Capt' Mike...Thanks for the reply, I did get a hold of Patrick and Alica by e-mail they will be gone the weekend we are going down however the information you and they have supplied is great.

Thanks
Chuck
R.D.Mercer

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 09:14 AM
Lopez Mateos and the Pelican

I have a rather humorous, well now, story about a run in myself and a friend had with a pelican while fishing out the the cannery at Lopez. My friend and I, I'll call him mr. slow, launched our 14ft car topper North of the cannery and fished most of the day without too much success. This was quite dissappointing as it was our first time fishing Mag bay and we had heard so many great things. Then we started to get into a nice size of grouper while we were slow trolling mackeral pattern cd18's. We just kept circling the same patch of Mangroves and they would dart out and hit the lure and dart back under the mangrove where we would gaff them. On one pass I see this pelican, who had been sitting in a tree and watching us, take off and start to circle the lures. :O I knew what was next and start to reel my line in and tell mr slow to get his in. Never one to follow instructions too well, my Slow starts to question me as to why, and as I am starting to get a little ticked the pelican dives and gets the lure caught in his beak. Mr. Slow then reels him up to the boat and I grab him by the end of the beak and pull out the lure. I then go to toss the lure back into the water away from the bird and simultaneously release the bird and he flaps his wings and gets the darn lure caught in his wing. I get him back in the boat but this time I have to deal with a snapping beek at the same time I am going to try and remove the lure. I finally get the beek under control and go to reach for the lure and the damn think flaps his wing just as I am about the grab the lure and barries the third treble hook in to my index finger all the way up to the shank. Now I really have a mess on my hands, literally. The point of the hook had bounced off the bone and went out through the nail. The barb was then in a perfect position to rub agains the bone every time the bird went on one of his flapping barages, which were about 6 before mr Slow could locate the Dikes and cut the hook that was in this birds wing. So we finally get the Hook cut and the bird freed and I look over to my friend, whom I wanted to kill, and the only thing that could come to my mind to say was," I must be some sort of damn environmentalist, even during all that flapping I never thought to just snap the birds neck". We both had kind of a laugh, but decided it was best to head back to camp. I did, after all, still have a hook thought my finger. About half way back to camp I get the bleeding stopped, I could see that all the birds flapping had opened up a pretty good sized hole and that I could probably, with minor cutting, get the hook out without seeing a doctor. I get out the buck knife and start to work the hook and cut a few tendons, and just about the time Mr. Slow was ready to loose his cookies the hook came out. :biggrin:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.