Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Death in our family--CHOPY
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 07:00 PM
Death in our family--CHOPY

There is a void in "force".

We (the internet community) have lost a good soul.

'Chopy' --- this taken from Amigos and Freds boards.

" I was told this afternoon that he was found dead Monday night. He said they believe he had been dead for 4 or 5 days. Will pass on more info as I receive it.

I just picked up the local paper and sadly it seems the story is true. There is a paid full page ad in todays paper offering condolences to the Cornel Crawford Family. There has been nothing in the papers i'm told concerning his death.

San Jose del Cabo,Todays Tribuna newspaper, page 15, 1/2 page

:(

[Edited on 20-6-2003 by reefrocket]
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 07:58 PM

I am very sorry to read this. I was an avid follower of Chopy's Posts.

I enjoyed his spunk, honesty, directness and candor.

He did a wonderful job of communicating with his fellow posters and painted a very different picture of the Baja than that of a tourist on the escape.

He opened a window to life in the Baja from a working man's perspective. Insight into the goings on of a small town suffering from a boom; the frustrations of a person who saw his world change with the influx of money, riff raff and development.

He posted with a passion; I sent him an email complimenting on his prolific prose and suggested he write a book. He had considered it as he kept a journal.

A journal I would very much like to see published.

I know he favorite writer was Ed Abbey; he was given a copy of the "Monkey Wrench Gang " when he was a kid; he recently had gone through some hard times with loss of his mother and a divorce ; which led to some hard drinking and associating with some people who took advantage of his good nature.

I empathized with his anger and being duped and conned and admired the tenacity his pursued his victimizers. He did win a court judgement. I was also aware from his postings that he had to deal with some very dangerous squatters who had settled on his land; from what I recollect they were financed by a lawyer in La Paz and a Brothel owner. All in cohoots with one another.

Chopy had no qualms about posting his successes. losses, heartaches and joys on the web forum and I was certainly a fan of his postings.

I am very sad to hear of his passing; I had come across it earlier today on another fourm and took some time off to tend the gardeni and reflect ; it was by accident as I was pruning the rose bush that I snipped off two young buds on a long stem; then the idea came on how to honor a persons life and passing; I took the stem with the two buds down to the ocean and said a small prayer for him and his family and through it into the ocean.

Maybe in another lifetime we will have the opportunity to meet in person.

I would like to pass my condolences onto his father who must be suffering tremondous grief at the loss of his son.

:(
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 08:04 PM
I'm so sorry.

I really hoped to meet him someday. He was a real decent person. I wonder what the Hell happened. It's such a shock when you hear that someone young and vital like that died. Damnit.

Heartfelt condolences to his family. Guess he and Tucker and I won't ever get that chance to have dinner together at Mar Y Pena. What a shame. Rest in peace, Chopy.- Stephanie
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 08:24 PM
A real shock to me........

We were to have dinner at the Mar Y Pena last November, but it slipped through the cracks, as much of life does.

Next Tuesday or Wednesday Stephanie, after you arrive in La Paz and before I depart for Ensenada, we can have dinner at a table for three at the Mar Y Pena to honor our friend. A poor man's version of the missing man formation.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 08:28 PM
I just got a horrible thought

....as I was looking at Chopy's last posts on Fred's board, the thought occured to me that one of the things I always adimired about Chopy was the he often spoke up against the powers that be that were ripping off people, contrlolling land access, etc., in Los Cabos. I always maintained that if I spoke out on some of the things that I felt about what was going on in Mexico, I would likely find myself dead on a street corner one day. I just hope that's not what happened to Chopy. - Stephanie
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 08:32 PM
You bet, Tucker.

We're leaving either tomorrow or Saturday. See you there.

p.s. email I've tried to send to you has been bouncing back. - Stephanie
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 08:33 PM

Stephanie it was three years back he got beat up by the police and thrown in jail for the postings on the baja message boards, about crime, corruption , squatters and bad land deals.

[Edited on 6-25-2003 by Nancy Drew]
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 08:34 PM
Nice Eulogy, Nosy

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 08:36 PM
Nosy

I didn't know that. All the more reason to be suspicious.-Stephanie
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 08:53 PM

Stephanie my suspicions of foul play came when the OP , who posted the story on the other forum did not want to be identified.

Why not? Why the Fear?

First I was suspicious, thought it wasn't true, yet at the same time I felt dread, Chopy had no qualms exposing corruption when it touched him or those close to him.

I think Cabo is becoming a very dangerous place and hence the loss of tourism.
There are many people from my part of the woods who like to go to the Baja but not to Cabo , not only because of the rip- off prices but the bad reputation the place has built for itself.

The other detail th OP had stated was that he had been dead 4-5 days prior to discovery.

Maybe those who have contacts in San Jose can keep us posted on the circumstances of his passing.

[Edited on 6-25-2003 by Nancy Drew]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2003 at 10:59 PM

Lets not start to gossip about his last minutes in life, fact is that we have no idea of what happened to him, the best thing we can do is simply to offer our respects and wait until theres more real info that can provide an insight into his early departure.

For all we know his death might be accidental.

Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2003 at 11:17 AM

I did a Chopy Cabo search on Google and came up with this when I opened the Cached link on the Second link: "land crooks beat up realtor"

Quote:

You are scaring the hell out of me. Here I am, tossing aroud the idea of a Mexican Paradise (rose colored glasses) and on thing that bothers me most is getting ripped off by some con-artist. Before I make any decision, I'll definitely ask for legal advice.
Dan

> On Wednesday February 6th, 5 thugs representing a land theft ring on the East Cape outside of San Jose del Cabo, BCS, Mexico attacked a locally respected realtor because he suggested to a client to first do a title check on the property in question before buying the lot. The land in question are beach lots selling north of Punta Gordo past Zacatitos residencial development. The titled owner, Mrs. McGreggor, has filed legal action against the Mexican national the his money laundrying Gringo partner. No names are to be publicized until legal charges are made public by victims. When buying property in Los Cabos always use an MLS membered agent. If going outside of MSL recommended properties, always first get a title report before depositing $ on any land or lot. Title searches are available at the Settlement Company in San Jose del Cabo. This theft ring is believed to be a different group than the famed violent squatter family of the Cabo Pulmo area - familia """".

I ommitted the name but it is contained in the original cached link.
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2003 at 06:35 PM

Here is an interesting link the replies are from a fellow called el surfer loco.

http://www.sport-fish-info.com/cabo/messages/262.html
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2003 at 11:42 AM

Tucker and Stephanie -

You guys are all right - maybe a litle out there politically - but OK.

I like your way of observing chopy's passing - it contrasts with the arrogance demonstrated by a few others on other boards. It seems the guy couln't even pass away without some peanut-gallery -type commentators.

Somewhere chopy's smiling.

Take care - have fun.

Braulio.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.