Big bad Fireman Lobsterman wrote Big Bad Beef Rub
2 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder

If Lobsterman is Halibut_Bob then I'm really Rachel Ray.

The recipes are being pulled from the internet almost word for word. The only thing I'm saying if you're going to copy an internet post and that includes recipes......then you need to cite your sources.

I'm still confused about the pictures. Are those actual pictures of Lobsterman's house, and beef he is cooking, or do they believe to somebody else?

From http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and...

Big Bad Beef Rub
Ingredients
3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 06:37 PM

Joe,

Why do you think I called it Big Bad Beef Rub. That's its name. You can find variations of this basic rub all over the internet. Its the best basic beef rub I've tried and a starting point to add additional spices to the taste you are looking for. All chef's and wantabe chefs like myself do that. Guess you're not a cook. Guess I should have called "Bad Joes Beef Rub" to feed your ego.

I posted the basic BBB rub recipe understanding the reader will use it or improve upon it. When I posted this recipe I did not mention I added 2 more tbsp of ground chilpote powder to the BBB rub for additional heat and its wonder flavor. It's $8 for a small bottle and most places do not carry it. Also used less black pepper. Plus added 1/2 cup brown sugar with more rub before I placed the brisket on the grill. When I 1st cook an item like a brisket, pork shoulder, etc. I research the internet for the recipes from proven cooks then adapt them to my taste or past experiences. I might take a rub from this cook, a smoking method from another cook, an injection recipe from another, a mop from another and so on usually modifying each with additions and subtractions of an item(s).. But altogether the posted recipe is a cooking method for that particular piece of meat on that day and time. I never cook the same recipe the same way twice, never. Before I forget what I've done that day I document it with pics and a narrative. I'll post it on Bloodydeck's website to store for me if I like how the recipe turned out.. I've deleted more recipes than I post because I was not happy with the results. Sometimes I give it another try with improvements.

Who wants to brine a roast or turkey for 2 days, inject for another day, apply a rub then smoke it for 18 hours and find out it tastes awful because it has too much of ....... I'm an engineer by trade. I've smart enough to ask someone how to do something that they have more expertise in than me. I'll try their method but then say when I do this again I'm going to do this to improve apon the results.

Notice I cooked the brisket starting at 400 degrees and used the minion charcoal method on a 22" weber kettle grill. Find me a smoked brisket recipe that starts at a temperature of 400 degrees or a pork shoulder at 500 degrees. Should I say thank you to minion. For a novice cook like yourself the minion charcoal method is placing unlit coals on the bottom of your charcoal tray and placing hot lit coals on top. How many unlit and lit coals you start with depends on the time and temperature of your recipe and the cooking vessel. I use almost a bag of charcoal on a WSM but only a 1/3 of that or less on a grill. That way the coals burn from top to bottom and extend the life of that charcoal batch. Additional unlit coals and wood chunks are placed on top of the lit coals periodically depending on the temperature you are trying to achieve and when the meat is done. That method is mentioned in the Weber Smokey Mountain book. I have a WSM but I prefer a weber 22" grill instead because it cooks faster at a higher heat and puts on a nice carmelized burnt outer crust for pulled pork or brisket.

I like to document what I cook and the different spices and methods I used that day so I can reproduce them in the future. I go back to them occassionally and update them as i perfect them better or for a different taste.

So yes they are my recipes because I documented them in a way I can remember what I did that day and so almost anyone else can reproduce them. And yes parts of every recipe I have gleened the knowledge of other cooks whether professional, next door neighbor like the congri' recipe or family like my mom's pound cake or my cousin from Mobile, AL redneck gumbo or believe it or not ME!

Keep digging. I'm enjoying the intellectual discusion we are having.

And what's with the house thing. It's my house. I bought it in 1998. What more can I say. I'm not giving you its address for obvious reasons. It's in most of my recipes and the side of the house you can see my cooking tools
(1) Weber Smoky Mountain smoker,
(1) electric small frig-type smoker for fish
(1) gas safe-type smoker for 30 lb turkeys
(1) dual burner stove ( 30k & 60k BTU burners)
(1) weber Genisis gas grill
(2) 22" weber charcoal grills
I use the 22" weber 90% of the time because I believe it can out smoke and out grill all the others.

here's a pic i just took of the grill I smoked the brisket on. I have not moved or cleaned it yet. I put a lite out there so I can smoke all nite.

Here's a pic of 1/3 the fish we caught this morning. Sorry you could not make it. We caught 25 small rockfish & sculpin between 0730 and 0930 and called it a day. Did not even try for lingcod cuz had enough for dinner for the three of us. First time out this year cuz season just opened. We fished at the Whistler Bouy about 4 miles due south of San Diego Bay. Notice today's paper Sunday 3/4. I'm sure you know the Aztecs won and are MW champs again. Go Aztecs. Guess this is not halibut Bob's house. Sorry to disappoint you. You can these pics on PhotoBucket if you want.

You did not mention if you want to go fishing with me. The offer stands. Nice chatting with you detective.

Halibut Howie

[Edited on 3-5-2012 by Lobsterman]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 07:42 PM

Nice try JOe... no "traction" HERE !!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Looks some folks really do like to cook ... and by the way ... that is some kinda of set up ...

My Dad used to "smoke" just about everything ... for sure, salmon, bonita, YT and a few others he and/or we caught... and he was big on the BBQ too ... liked using "hard wood" ... his second job was working in a cabniet shop ... lots of "scraps" which he would bring home for the "fire"... and the smoker in the back yard...

Keep them coming ... great stuff... :):)

And hope ya do ok on the lingcod, that's a good eating fish...

[Edited on 3-5-2012 by wessongroup]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.