Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: mysterious air strip
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 08:25 AM

Alaska bush pilots fly into strips like that all the time. That is one of the reasons that the Anchorage office of the NTSB is such a busy place!

I have been fortunate enough to have flown in some remarkable STOL craft, such as Maule M5 on tundra tires, and De Haviland Beavers on wheels, skis, and floats!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 08:34 AM

That particular strip has been abandoned for so long that I would think a prudent pilot would want to walk it first before attempting a landing. I'm not a pilot so just saying.
I did walk the flat area up at the San Juan mine and measured it with my gps, it is flat no rocks, bushes or holes and is a little over 1200' long. The southern end drops off into a canyon so no mountains to try to fly over or around on take off.

[Edited on 9-8-2019 by larryC]

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 03:25 PM

The DC-3 crash site on Google Earth is on the first page of this thread.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
Yes, there is an air strip high up in the Sierra la Asamblea. Who put it there? When and why?

same aliens that gave us all implants!

I suspect the Goat is speaking from experience.

Barry

lol... I just spit tequila out my nose! Hurt so good!!! :lol:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2019 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Cool old thread. Any new info on this area?

I spent the day today with Betty and Guillermo Villavicencio, of Rancho San Gregorio. I showed Betty the photos David had posted back in 2012 of Rancho Viejo. She pointed out her husband Memo's three Tíos in one photo. Rancho Viejo was built by his great grandfather. Their family lived in that ranch until about 28 years ago, she guessed. I asked her why they left. She said it just got too hard to carry all the supplies on their backs up the canyon.

Guillermo was born in this house.

The old truck that never left was Memo's grandfather's truck, the first truck ever on the ranch. Memo is seen in the following photo sitting on the passenger side. Photos taken 2019.

Rancho Viejo is a wonderful step back in history. Rancho San Gregorio remains a working cattle ranch today. I'm the second from the left in this photo, taken during the round up in March 2019

I am in love with this ranch and the time I'm blessed to be there with the Villavicencio family.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 06:39 AM

Paulina, Did the accommodations business there (New San Gregorio) end or is it seasonal? https://www.elcantodelatierra.org.mx/ (the last update was 2012).
From the webpage:
"We at Rancho San Gregorio welcome all to come experience life at the rancho and can accommodate groups of up to 30 people. However, more infrastructure, community education, and the time and presence of caring individuals are needed to fully realize our vision of a balanced, interdependent, harmonic community. Come experience life at the rancho and see how these principles may guide you in your endeavors to improve your own community. We welcome your contributions, ideas, and skills and hope that your heart will also find a home here as ours have."

Thanks for the new photos.
Neal Johns took Amo Pescar, my son Christopher, and me there in 2001. It was abandoned and there was no New San Gregorio (yet) just some lineman shacks at the end of the road.
Curious about the comment of bringing supplies on their back (to Old San Gregorio)... no more mules?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 07:42 AM

Love the photos. Lucky you!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 10:39 AM

David,
My understanding is that "El Canto de la Tierra", is Rafael Galvan Villavicencio's portion of Rancho San Gregorio. He is a naturista iridologo, a holistic health doctor. Meghann McDonald is the educational coordinator for El Canto as well as the Vermilion Sea Institute in Bahia de Los Angeles. Information as to what's offered at either of those two locations should go through Meghann. I noted that contact info is available on the site you posted. For those who use Facebook, you can find "Vermilion Sea Institute" as well as "El Canto de la Tierra" and make contact there.

The "lineman shacks" you mention are houses that belong to Guillermo, his brothers and mother. The houses are in use when the family is working the ranch/cows.

Regarding carrying supplies to Rancho Viejo, yes, they had mules to help do the hauling, but I can imagine to chore it was to make that trek.

P>*)))>{

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Paulina, Did the accommodations business there (New San Gregorio) end or is it seasonal? https://www.elcantodelatierra.org.mx/ (the last update was 2012).
From the webpage:
"We at Rancho San Gregorio welcome all to come experience life at the rancho and can accommodate groups of up to 30 people. However, more infrastructure, community education, and the time and presence of caring individuals are needed to fully realize our vision of a balanced, interdependent, harmonic community. Come experience life at the rancho and see how these principles may guide you in your endeavors to improve your own community. We welcome your contributions, ideas, and skills and hope that your heart will also find a home here as ours have."

Thanks for the new photos.
Neal Johns took Amo Pescar, my son Christopher, and me there in 2001. It was abandoned and there was no New San Gregorio (yet) just some lineman shacks at the end of the road.
Curious about the comment of bringing supplies on their back (to Old San Gregorio)... no more mules?

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 12:05 PM

Right... well if you ever get an update on the "eco-resort" there, please share that.
As for the old or original San Gregorio, it was 1/4 mile trail hike up from the end of the auto road... Besides the adobe on stone-block ranch house, there are big terraced planting fields near the house and large fruit trees in the gully next to the house (included a guava and a citrus tree, I recall).

This was so interesting, you should put it in its own thread rather than in one about airfields! :light:

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 02:57 PM

Right... well if you ever get an update on the "eco-resort" there, please share that.
As for the old or original San Gregorio, it was 1/4 mile trail hike up from the end of the auto road... Besides the adobe on stone-block ranch house, there are big terraced planting fields near the house and large fruit trees in the gully next to the house (included a guava and a citrus tree, I recall).

This was so interesting, you should put it in its own thread rather than in one about airfields! :light:

I was answering a few questions, that's why my replies are on this thread. I'm having dinner with Guillermo and Betty tonight. I'll ask if they mind if I make a new thread. I really don't know much about the goings on at Rafael's part of the ranch. That should come from the source of contact, Meghann.

P>*)))>{

VermilionSeaInstitute

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 08:15 PM

Hi all! So fun to see our Rancho San Gregorio coming up on the ol' Baja Nomad forums! We do have lots of goings on there, but you're very right - none of those have made it to that old website. Coincidentally, but brother and I were just talking about bringing that website up to speed!

Vermilion Sea Institute is the US nonprofit (501(c)3) that supports operations at the Vermilion Sea Field Station in Bahia de los Angeles and also at Rancho San Gregorio in the beautiful Vizacaino Desert (about 40 minutes past Mission San Borja). El Canto de la Tiera is our Mexican nonprofit (Asociacion Civil) to which all of these are responsible.

We have many ongoing projects at the Ranch. Ecotourism, holistic wellness, ethnobotany, cultural experiences are some of these. We also have graduate courses that visit every year to practice biological field methods.

If anyone is interested in visiting or learning more, please shoot me an email... mmcdonald@vermilionseainstitute.org

Thanks Paulina, for sharing your experiences and for letting me know that we made a mention in Baja Nomads :)

Salud,
Meghann
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 07:02 AM

Thank you Meghann,
When you update the website or Facebook page, please let us know. I think a few would like to know if there are accommodations and meals available there, as once described. It certainly is tucked back in there and along the Golfo Camino Real, too! Do you take people up to the San Juan Mine and village site, too?

VermilionSeaInstitute

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 11:02 AM
just let me know when!

Sure thing, yes, we're available to accept visitors and provide meals and lodging. It's $30 per person per night. Just shoot me an email to arrange dates.

We don't plan regular excursions to San Juan mines, but do have other excursions available. San Juan Mines are better accessed from Bahia de los Angeles. There's no direct route between Rancho San Gregorio and Bahia other than through San Borja and the main highway.

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by VermilionSeaInstitute]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by VermilionSeaInstitute  
Sure thing, yes, we're available to accept visitors and provide meals and lodging. It's $30 per person per night. Just shoot me an email to arrange dates.

We don't plan regular excursions to San Juan mines, but do have other excursions available. San Juan Mines are better accessed from Bahia de los Angeles. There's no direct route between Rancho San Gregorio and Bahia other than through San Borja and the main highway.

Thank you for the update. What is the best way to find you online (to get email or see more), website, Facebook, ??

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2019 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by VermilionSeaInstitute  

Thank you for the update. What is the best way to find you online (to get email or see more), website, Facebook, ??

mmcdonald@vermilionseainstitute.org

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 01:36 PM

Thanks!

VermilionSeaInstitute

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 03:18 PM

An article came out just today that describes some of the experiences one visitor had with us at Rancho San Gregorio this past summer. Thought you might appreciate it. It offers some nice context.
http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/articles/entry/...
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 04:08 PM

Thanks!

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.