Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hwy 2 to Puerto Penasco
timperkins
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 11:04 AM
Hwy 2 to Puerto Penasco

I realize this isn't Baja, but can anyone advise me on the road conditions on Highway 2 between Estacion Coahuila and Sonoyta?

I'm heading to Rocky Point from San Diego... From the map, it looks like I can save some time if I cross the border south of Yuma, rather than taking I-8 to Gila Bend.

Thanks,

Tim
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 11:14 AM
Haven'tdone it foe a couple years

but we used to a lot from Tijuana. Gorgeous scenery around Rumorosa and the grade. 150 mph possible in some of the desert straightaways., and about 6-8 hours from Rosarito depending on the vehicle you are in.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 11:30 AM
Hwy 2 to Rocky Point

Hi Tim:

I took that route last August (hot!). It's a good highway, but there's a long stretch of highway without services between San Luis Rio Colorado and Sonoyta. You will be traveling through the Desierto de Altar, which is beautiful if you like deserts, but make sure you have a full tank, water etc...
Ted
timperkins
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2004 at 06:19 PM
How about crossing sooner?

Would I save any more time by crossing farther west, say at Tecate or Mexicali?

Just eyeballing the map, it looks like if I take I-8 to Yuma and head south that I'd actually be backtracking a bit.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2004 at 07:49 PM

I have gone to El Golfo and Puerto Penasco and for El Golfo it is much shorter to cross at Mexicali and go south towars San Felipe to where the road goes from 4 lanes down to 2, Baja state hwy. 4 (I think) comes in there, and that is what you take for Cohuila, Riito, and El Golfo. For Puerto Penasco, go to Hwy. 2 from Mexicali and head east. But, those places are NOT in Baja, so I very well could be wrong! :lol::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

timperkins
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2004 at 10:36 PM
Thanks!

Thanks, David... I think I'll try crossing at Mexicali drive Se on Hwy 2. I'll post a report when I get back, even though most of the trip is not in Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2004 at 11:25 PM

Hi Tim,
Please report on your trip... If AA can tell us about South America, I think you can tell us about Sonora!:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.