Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scuba Questions for Ken Bondy
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2003 at 09:35 AM
Scuba Questions for Ken Bondy

My 11 year old daughter has been offered the chance to take scuba lessons and get certified here in La Paz. I have no experience at all with scuba, but have looked at your photos and those in books and hoped that my children could have a much more intimate experience than I have with the creatures of the sea I saw my first real moray eal the other day layhing dead on the beach. Sure would be nice to be able to coexist even temporararily with one in its own universe.

Anyway, the question is do you think 11 is old enough to get certified? She knows how to snorkel and is an efficient swimmer, but I wonder if children of that age are sufficiently able to incorporate the safety precautions. I also wonder about taking the certifiacion myself. Although I'm an OK swimmer, I'm not in the best of shape (overweight). And one other question - is the cost of scuba prohibitive - I've always thought of it as a very expenxive proposition.

Thanks in advancwe for any advice. - Stephanie
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2003 at 09:57 PM

Sorry I know this is for Ken but I will throw in my two cents worth any way.

Quote:

11 is old enough to get certified?

a qulified yes - if the 11 year old is VERY level headed, follows instruction absolutely - I say this because one can 'die' with one mistake in this endever.
I wonder if even you can get a real good instruction at a resort. Make SURE they are certified instructors (NAUI ((sp) -wow it's been a while since I had to spell that) or PADI.

"very expensive proposition?" That is subjective to each person and how ofter you would be able to use the gear.
If a person buys all the gear to be off on their own then yes it eats up the old Christmas fund fast. But if you buy ONLY the thing that you need persoanlly and rent the rest then its very reasonable.
Personal things would be probably almost required on leasons. ---- googles, fins, lycra suit and/or wet suit, gloves, knife. The rest ( the expensive stuff can be rented if a person is certified) - regulators, tanks, BCs - (Buoyancy Compensator), weight belt.

And on the side note - the over weight part remimber that just you looking at you in the mirror an thats not a fair opinion. My instructor must have weight well over 400lb. But in the water he was weightless:D and was at home as a very large sea mammal. If you look around there are teachers that will give you a 'Scuba experience' - give you minimal instruction and dive with you in like 30ft of water to let you find if you enjoy/are comfortable in the water while wareing all the gear. Liken it to getting to drive a Porsha(sp) it the hooking you in.

ps I will pass on to ken your post here if he hasn't been here yet.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2003 at 11:43 PM
Thanks reefrocket

I should've known by your handle you've done some diving. Your two cents is worth at least a quarter. I signed her up today for the classes. I've decided to wait and take the class myself when my 8 year old boy gets old enough to take it in a few years, but will go through all the written materials this time with my daughter as it's in spanish and I'm sure I'll have to translate a good deal. That way, I'll already know much of what there is to know by the time I do get certified myself.

That's funny about your 400 pound instructor. I know how he feels. I always tell people I'm like a sea lion - a bit blobular on land, but graceful as a f'n ballerina in the water. Lately I've had some weight related health problems, though and feel like I'd better get them taken care of before I get into scuba diving. I'm fascinated with marine life and think I would enjoy it a ton when the right time does come.

Gracias por los consejos. - Stephanie

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-10-2003 at 06:51 AM

Stephanie
If she is comfortable in the water and reasonably mature, learning at 11 is fine. Two of my kids (one boy, one girl) learned at 11 and got their NAUI junior certification at 12. Diving is much more mental than physical. You don't have to be a champion swimmer to be a good diver. Yes it can be expensive, not the lessons but the first set of equipment. For a full set (mask, fins, snorkel, exposure suit, regulator, guages, computer, bouyancy compensator) you could be looking at $1500-$2000. From that point on the cost is not excessive because the equipment is pretty bulletproof. If your daughter loves the ocean, being certified and diving in La Paz would be a magnificent experience. Que mas quieres??

Buena suerte,

++Ken++

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.