Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip Report - Part 3
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 09:48 AM
Trip Report - Part 3

You can do a lot worse than to be stranded at Alfonsina?s. Functional rooms, good food and drink, friendly competent staff, and it?s perched on the edge of what very well may be the most beautiful bay on the peninsula. It sits at the north end of a gorgeous beach on which many homes have been built, most, I assume, by Americans. The patio at Alfonsina?s is a central meeting place for an eclectic group of people, guests and visitors, who show up each morning and evening for food and/or libation. We had originally planned to be there for just two nights, and despite our situation, we quickly settled into a not unpleasant routine of eating, drinking, beach walks, snorkeling, and conversations with the guests and visitors. Each morning we would check with Rafael about our batteries; each time he would respond with ?for sure tomorrow?. What else?

The first morning (Tuesday) we met one of Alfonsina?s regular visitors, a sharp, salty and personable retired 30-year Marine known as ?Coffee Man?. Why, you ask? Because he shows up every morning for a pot of savory Alfonsina?s java, and conversations with the guests and staff. Coffee man (alias Jim Terry) lives with his wife in a home he built on the beach about five miles south of Alfonsina?s towards Punta Final. When he understood our predicament he offered to sell us two new batteries he had just installed in his motor home, explaining that he would have no immediate need for them and could replace them before he needed them again. We initially declined his generous offer, thinking that Rafael?s batteries would soon arrive and save our bacon. However after two consecutive days of hearing ?manana for sure? from Rafael, I decided that two batteries in hand were worth a lot more than two on a truck somewhere south of San Quintin, and on Thursday morning I told Coffee Man that if he was still willing to sell us his batteries, we wanted to buy them. I was fully willing to pay Rafael for his two batteries, even if I didn?t get them. That was only fair. But I felt we had to know for certain what our situation was, and that required batteries right now.

Coffee Man agreed to sell us his batteries. Antonio had graciously offered his truck for my use to go get the batteries, but Coffee Man said, no need; I will get them and bring them back. Which he did. One more example of how great the people in Baja are. Coffee Man returned with the batteries at about 10 am, and the installation process began. The cable connections on the original Hummer batteries are on their sides, rather than on their tops. Coffee Man?s batteries, however, had their connections on the top, rather than the side. This presented a problem, since the Hummer cables didn?t quite reach the connectors on the top of the batteries. Not to worry, Antonio, seeing the problem, immediately and almost magically came up with three cable leads, precisely the right size, which with a little kluging (is that a word?), made the cables long enough to work. Room, food, drink, and battery cable extensions. Alfonsina?s is one helluva hotel!

We wrapped the positive connections in plastic and electrical tape (also furnished by Coffee Man), and secured the whole Rube Goldberg assembly with motorcycle straps. When all was complete, the moment of truth arrived. I got in the driver?s seat, put the key in, turned the ignition switch, and heard that most wonderful sound of diesel valve clatter as Big Red?s engine sprung to life. I received a standing ovation from a large group of spectators, including the entire staff at Alfonsina?s, all the morning?s visitors and remaining guests, and, of course, Coffee Man, to whom we owed more than we could describe.

Once we were sure that we were back in business, Coffee Man and I sat down for the financial arrangements (las noticias malas!). I asked him what he wanted for the batteries. He said, nada, that he would simply take the batteries from Rafael when they came in. I would have no part of that, and told him I wanted him to have absolutely no risk in any of this and insisted on paying him cash for the batteries. He agreed, and asked what I wanted to pay. I offered $200, which I considered more than fair for two new batteries and all his help. Savvy guy that he is, he countered with $100. Shrewd negotiator that I am, I told him I would pay him not a cent less than $200. Recognizing my overpowering business acumen, he gave up and accepted the original $200. I will never forget Coffee Man, and we will be eternally grateful to him for his help, moral support, mechanical skills, and good humor.

Now that the Hummer was humming again, we packed up our stuff, loaded the Hummer, checked out of Alfonsina?s with profuse thanks to Antonio and all the staff, and headed over to Rancho Grande to settle up with Rafael. I explained to Rafael that I had solved the problem with Coffee Man?s batteries, and that I would be glad to pay for his batteries even if we didn?t get them. Rafael was amazing. He said he didn?t want anything for the batteries, they would just go into stock and he would sell them to somebody else. I was overwhelmed by this generosity, and pushed hard for him to accept payment for the batteries and the risk he was taking on my behalf, but he simply refused to take any money for the batteries. I then pointed out that he had towed us in and his mechanics spent several hours checking the vehicle and eventually getting us started. (Can you imagine what that would set you back in the US?). What did he want for all that, I asked? He, of course, responded with the standard ?well, what do you want to pay?? I asked would $US100 be enough? He said sure, no problema, and the negotiations were complete. There are simply no words to describe how much help and support we got from these great people and how little they wanted in return.

It was now Thursday a little after noon, we were fixed, and with Jess on the bike we pointed the Hummer south again and continued our journey towards Bahia de Los Angeles to play with the magnificent whale sharks. But first, a meeting with a Baja legend, the famous Coco of Coco?s corner.

continued
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 10:16 AM

Just great stuff here Ken! You describe what JR calls 'humans'... Please note that these humans were both Mexican and American!

Muchas gracias!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 10:58 AM
Good story Ken

And it's comforting to know that it's not just my old decrepit rides that suffer these problems.:lol:
I am definitely buying one of those battery booster things!
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 12:51 PM
diesel

I just went through the same problem with my Dodge diesel up here in Montana. First I tried to charge the batteries than I tried to jump start it . No avail. Would not turn over This is my first diesel. At least is was not 30 below. Something to think about before my next trip to Baja. You sure meet some great people down south.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 12:58 PM

Good story Ken.....my first trip to Baja was flying into Gonzaga in 1975.....I'll never forget the nice people at Alphonsinas.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 03:47 PM

In my Dodge Ram Off-Road Diesel I use the PC 1700 Series Odyssey Drycell Batteries...200,000 miles and serious off-road use and not one failure...made for serious off-road travel with heavy vibration in mind...military specs. I regularly run the sat dish for two full days on a 1000 watt inverter before my GPS displays a significant change in voltage. Expensive but worth it....great story Ken.

The ODYSSEY? Drycell battery combines in one box the characteristics of two separate batteries. It can deep cycle as well as provide enormous cranking power.

These dry cell batteries are capable of providing engine cranking pulses in excess of 1700A for 5 seconds as well as 400 charge/discharge cycles to 100% depth of discharge (DOD). A typical starting, lighting and ignition (SLI) battery can do one or the other, but not both. Conventional batteries are either a sprinter or a long distance runner; An ODYSSEY? battery will do both ? provide short duration high amperage pulse or low rate long duration drains.

Guaranteed longer service life - The ODYSSEY? battery, with a ten year design life and a three-to-eight year service life, saves you time and money because you do not have to replace your battery as often. It is also the ONLY battery that is capable of delivering a large number of deep cycles - up to 400 when fully discharged or up to 500 when discharged to 80%. Plus, the battery is specially designed for high vibration applications.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

West Coast Batteries in Corona, CA

[Edited on 10-19-2004 by Desertbull]
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 05:46 PM
Desertbull....

Thanks for the great information. Since this happened I have heard several others say good things about the ODYSSEY. I think two are in my near future.

++Ken++
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 05:52 PM

Great report!!
Can't wait for the "REST of THE STORY"

Corky:biggrin:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 07:34 PM
If I could Guess...

I'd think you broke down about the same place that the great El Camote and Amo had to come back and lend me a jack to change a tire on POT a few years back. At least you had a great view. And, just breaking down there is such a wonderful time as it opens the door to other mysterious travelers. You hit the nail on the head re Alfonsinas. Within minutes a unique character, including you, walks up the steps and sits down with a story to tell.

More por favor...
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 09:42 PM
...Ah! How I love the aroma of Battery Acid in the Morning!

As a Battery purveyor, I can sure commiserate with your battery problems!

First, those General Motors designed (by Delco) Side-post batteries, have always been poor performers, in the longevity department! GM must have felt they had the 'better idea' of a battery design some thirty years ago. They are the only ones that use that type in all their their vehicles, and won't give em' up!

In the real world - that side-post design is just plain CRAP! I see so many of them that begin to leak around lead surface that's embedded in the side of the plastic case...that's the problem - trying to get an acid-proof seal between a lead post, and the plastic case material- the internal liquid level is ABOVE that side post. When it does start leaking, the acid corrodes the steel bolt that holds the copper cable to the lead post...think dissimilar metals here with a nice corrosive liquid thrown in for good measure. Sometimes I have to use a hammer and a hack saw to get them apart! Those are the times I'd like to have a 12-gauge handy the moment the engineer that thought them up, walks in my door!

At any rate, you will be much better served to permanently convert to the 'top-post' design batteries - the same as the rest of the automotive world everywhere! Of course provided you have the clearance for the posts - I can't say I've ever replaced batt's in an H1, so don't know your particular installation.

Top post types are also lots easier to 'jump', or be 'jumped', as you have a good, secure place to attach the cables. I like to put those little round, oiled felt washers on the battery posts before installing the cable clamps - helps to keep the corrosion in check. Also, coat the terminals with some heavy grease to help keep the o2 away.

Also, don't forget, if all else fails, park on a steep hill, so you can let gravity help 'bump start' the beast...of course if you have an auto-tranny, you need a REALLY steep hill/cliff....:yes:

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Junior Nomad

Mood: Rings

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 09:54 PM

And then you could upgrade your alternator, install a multi-stage soft start regulator complete with the battery equalizing function, add a house bank that you could charge with an automatic combiner with a momentary on manual tie switch to start Big Red.
:biggrin:
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 12:54 PM

These must be special batteries...!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.