Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Smiling at a GREAT word in espanol
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 01:45 PM
Smiling at a GREAT word in espanol

Retirement=Jubilacion!

Another of the 1000 "cion" words in Spanish that I already knew in English.

jubilation
— n
a feeling of great joy and celebration

Buen jubilacion to all to whom it applies!:lol:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 02:24 PM

Another oddity [or not] that occurs to me whenever I see the words, is the similarity between ADOBE, when referring to a dwelling, and ABODE....definitly a dwelling.
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 02:31 PM

Perry

Jubalacion is when I get to fish with you again

sold out and got out !!!
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 02:46 PM

I've been Jubilacion now four yrs and Love that life is at it's best.:saint::saint:;)
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 02:49 PM

Dennis you know I can't leave that alone. And, thankfully, my fingers are still working a little faster. Here's the Middle Eastern origin of adobe.

The word adobe /əˈdoʊbiː/ has existed for around 4,000 years, with relatively little change in either pronunciation or meaning. The word can be traced from the Middle Egyptian (c. 2000 BC) word dj-b-t "mud [i.e., sun-dried] brick." As Middle Egyptian evolved into Late Egyptian, Demotic, and finally Coptic (c. 600 BC), dj-b-t became tobe "[mud] brick." This was borrowed into Arabic as al-tub (الطّوب al "the" + tub "brick") "[mud] brick," which was assimilated into Old Spanish as adobe [aˈdobe], still with the meaning "mud brick." English borrowed the word from Spanish in the early 18th century.

Looking into the origin of Abode, on the other hand, really did fill a hole in my education. I didn't know the following.

• abide •
Printable VersionPronunciation: ê-baid • Hear it!
Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive, transitive
Meaning: 1. (Intransitive) To live in the sense of dwell, to reside. 2. (Intransitive) To continue in existence, to exist unchanged in some state. 3. (Transitive) To tolerate, put up with, endure.
Notes: Historically the past participle of this word was abidden, but the past participle assimilated with the past tense a century or so ago, so now this verb is conjugated abide, abode, (has) abode. However, since this latter form is now used for the noun (an abode), the verb seems to be converting to a regular verb: abide, abided, (has) abided. This trend should continue if this seldom used verb survives at all.
In Play: The original sense of today's lovely word has pretty much been replaced by the simpler verb (to) live, but it holds its ground for those unafraid of touching up their conversations with a bit of poetry now and again: "How Lester can abide in such a hovel as he inhabits is beyond explication." I still like to hear the noun from the old past participle when in such a poetic mood: "Postlewaith retired from cricket in 2002 and now occupies a small but cozy abode tucked into a garden of his own making just outside Stikiwick."

I hope this helps fill a little time not having a cold one. I've never craved a brew so much (rarely now) as since "they" said No mas!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 02:52 PM

We have to MAKE IT HAPPEN Tim. Tick....tick....tick....

Bill Kauth

QUETZALCOATL
Nomad

Mood: nublado

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 07:08 AM

Great post-made me smile-thank you.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 07:12 AM

Vgndbo-------The DUDE abides.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I hope this helps fill a little time not having a cold one. I've never craved a brew so much (rarely now) as since "they" said No mas!

:lol::lol: Yeah....I know the feeling. :lol:

Thanks for doing the research.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.