Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rain in Rosarito
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 09:19 AM
Rain in Rosarito

I find it almost impossible to complete the arc while constantly changing "drip buckets" from our leaky roof and chanting "there's no place like home" and clicking my heels together.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 09:27 AM
San Felipe

As I drove up Zoo road this morning from where we are staying in the Ejido, I saw the majesty of Picacho del Diablo rising above the rest ot the Sierra San Pedro Matir. Like long fluffy wings, the clouds rose above all but Del Diablo. I thought great it was that the cold and rain were kept to the west by this great mountain range. It's 82 on my patio, 75 in my trailer and a beautiful sunshiny day.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 03:30 PM
Its raining, it's windy, it's chitty outside

and for some silly reason we thought indoors might be the place to hide
But the roof she's a leakin
and not just in spots
It's cascadas de Baja
in my home I love lot's
There's buckets and plastic and everything not leaky
And there's drops coming off
the nose of my Tiki

We found some relief by
getting out the umbrellas
But, the worst part is
Carol likes Novelas

Now between the leaks
and those P-nche soaps
I have a feelin
it's just the beginning of my troubles
Because when those two things meet

I'm gonna be cleaning up bubbles!
Cardon
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 04:43 PM

And the Lord spoke to Noah and said, "In one year, I am going to make it rain and cover the whole earth with water until all flesh is destroyed. But I want you to save a few righteous people and two of every kind of living thing on the earth. Therefore, I am commanding you to build an Ark."

In a flash of lightening, God delivered the specifications for an Ark. In fear and trembling, Noah took the plans and agreed to build the Ark.

"Remember" said the Lord, "You must complete the Ark and bring everything aboard in one year ... or learn to tread water for a long, long time!

Exactly one year later, fierce storm clouds covered the earth and all the seas of the earth went into a tumult. The Lord saw that Noah was sitting in his front yard weeping.

"Noah," He shouted. "Where is the Ark?"

"Lord, please forgive me!", cried Noah. "I did my best, but there were big problems.

1. First, I had to get a building permit for the ark's construction, but your plans did not meet their code. So, I had to hire an engineer to redo the plans, only to get into a long argument with him and OSHA about whether to include a fire-sprinkler system and flotation devices.

2. Then my neighbor objected, claiming I was violating zoning ordinances by building the Ark in my front yard, so I had to get a variance from the city planning commission.

3. I had problems getting enough wood for the Ark, because there was a ban on cutting trees to protect the Spotted Owl. I finally convinced the U.S. Forest Service that I needed the wood to save the owls.

4. However, the Fish and Wildlife Service won't let me catch any owls. So, no owls.

5. The carpenters formed a union and went out on strike. I had to negotiate a settlement with the National Labor Relations Board before anyone would pick up a saw or a hammer. Now I have 16 carpenters on the Ark, but still no owls.

6. When I started rounding up the other animals, I got sued by an animal rights group. They objected to me only taking two of each kind aboard.

7. Just when I got the suit dismissed, the EPA notified me that I could not complete the Ark without filing an environmental impact statement on your proposed flood. They didn't take very kindly to the idea that they had no jurisdiction over the conduct of the Creator of the universe.

8. Then the Army Engineers demanded a map of the proposed new flood plain. I sent them a globe.

9. Right now, I am trying to resolve a complaint filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that I am practicing discrimination by not taking Godless, unbelieving people aboard!

10. The IRS has seized my assets, claiming that I'm building the Ark in preparation to flee the country to avoid paying taxes. I just got a notice from the state that I owe them some kind of user tax as I failed register the Ark as a "recreational water craft."

11. Finally, the ACLU got the courts to issue an injunction against further construction of the Ark, saying that since God is flooding the earth, it is a religious event and therefore unconstitutional. I really don't think I can finish the Ark for another 5 or 6 years!" Noah wailed.

The sky began to clear, the sun began to shine and the seas began to calm. A rainbow arched across the sky. Noah looked up hopefully. "You mean you are not going to destroy the earth Lord?"

"No," said the Lord sadly. "I don't have to. The government already has."

My Baja photos are now on my site
For more Baja Photos go to
this website
http://baja.smugmug.com/
http://craigpearson.com/
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 04:55 PM
Good one Cardon

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 05:52 PM

Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day...

Power on-off, all day; sudden surges/dives/offs, this sure f's up the computers/printers/fax, even when protected by UPS. CFE delivers low level, then high surge surprises.

4.7 inches of rain on the rain measuring component of the anemometer weather station (too lazy to be politically correct wnr type out the whole name/explanation of the multitasking unit). Winds gusting to 47 mph.

By the way, jrbaja, our dogs sleep in the house. If I have to get up in the middle of the night, with winds howling, and put buckets down under leaks, why should they be loafing and sleeping in warm, waterproof doghouses? :O

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 06:03 PM
Same here Gypsy

Big and Andi are both house dogs and they don't do didly to help me dump buckets all night long.
I was thinking more in terms of me borrowing part of Jesses dog house for staying dry, not the dogs.
Power off this morning, a good portion of our cliff slid onto the beach, and we will be dripping for weeks. :lol:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 06:29 PM

Our next door neighbor...

just spent beaucoup bucks this last summer to bring in several dump trucks of dirt to fill in holes in his oceanfront property so he could sell lots to gringos.

Today, a huge amount of that new dirt washed out to the ocean, with a twenty-foot gushing spill that lasted about an hour.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 06:33 PM

OH, by the by,

the picture you posted looks suspiciously similar to a gourmet preparation duck meat press that is used in France.

Is it possible that you are the secretly reincarnated Julia Child? (sorry, just being silly :rolleyes:)

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 07:38 AM

JR, you don't need to be hauling buckets all day and night. Use your bamboo! Cut some big ones in half, hollow them out, use them to channel the dripping water out of the windows and doors. :light:
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 09:05 AM
Bob

Did I show you my drip system in the garden? I have the same bamboo set up down south. Si sirve !!
Cyndarouh
Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 10-21-2004 at 12:07 PM
Rain and mud slides

Here in Julian our gage says a tad over 12 inches since Monday. Lots of mud slides and flooding in bad burnt area. Roads were a mess. They county is working 24/7 to keep up with it. Sun is now trying to come out. Roads are now open so this is good news for any one wanting to come in or out of Julian.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2004 at 03:25 PM

JR, we never saw your bamboo drip system. Sounds interesting. Can you possibly take a photo of it? I remember hiking through a rain forrest in Peru a couple of years ago and they used huge bamboo pieces for irrigation and for carrying water off of roofs in the nearby camping area. They would also stick some bamboo in the ground with a top portion cut off to catch rain water for drinking and cooking.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2004 at 06:35 PM

As a kid, there was the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, at Disneyland. That is where I bet JR got the idea for so many bamboo uses, including water pipes!

The tree house is still there, but changed to be the Tarzan house... no kids alive today know who the Swiss Family Robinson is.

[Edited on 10-28-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.