Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia Asuncion B&B
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 08:54 AM
Bahia Asuncion B&B

Drove down and met friends Meany and Russ from Chivato at Ed and Jean's Bahia Asuncion Bed and Breakfast, and what a treat it was. Ed and Jean have a first class operation. Two spotlessly clean casitas, each with a queen bed, queen sized sofa bed, fully operational kitchen with stove, fridge, and food prep area, and a nice bath with a great shower and all the hot water and fluffy towels you want.
Both Ed and Jean are gormet cooks, and go over the top to provide a wonderful breakfast, served family style in their kitchen. One morning we had fresh juice, a fruit bowl of fresh chopped fruit, fresh ground coffee, and bacon and egg quesadillas.There were three of us guys and we had to tell them to stop cooking.
They also have a small gallery with local art, and jewelry for sale. Both our gracious hosts were full of Baja history and stories, local and general, and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, and memorable.
We generally rode around on our UTV's and explored, but Ed can set up fishing for those who want it, and point out areas of interest around the town and surrounding area to visit.
Clean, comfortable, affordable,secure, with food from heaven, and hosts that go out of their way to please. If you haven't been there, GO!!!! Visit their website at www.bahiaasuncionbb.com and check it out for yourself Don't miss this one.
Mike McNeil :coolup:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 09:41 AM

Well said Mike. I had started a post but you manage to write what I started in half the space. You said "We generally rode around on our UTV's and explored...". Hell, we went to Malarimo & Campo Rene both over 60 miles one way with stops to embarrass ourselves surf fishing. Then we rode around locally. The locals are really nice and all wave or said "hola". We only eat out 3 times. Twice in Asuncion. A lunch and a Birthday Dinner for Jean. We had a burger in Abreojos and made a short stop to visit Les & Blanca in La Bocana in their new home. WOW! We had planned to stop back for a beer with Les but after spending some time at Campo Rene we went back to Asuncion. Our primary reason to take the UTV's was to see if we could trailer the UTV's along the beach road to Campo Rene. It would have been a really long day on that road with a trailer. They're putting in a new water from Asuncion to Abreojos and the road is a mess in spots.
The next day grabbed Jean and she showed us the trail to Malarimo. The ride was great but I was really disappointed with the beach. I found a cool hat and others scored a couple things but the flotsam was 90% plastic and almost no shells. The water looked really good for fishing but here too we struck out.
I'll add a little more with Photos later....

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 10:14 AM

What a great trip. Pictures of the B&B please. There is a road closer to the coast when coming south from San Hipolito that bypasses the pipe construction and is in better shape. It was marked a couple of months ago with an arrow. Did you take the coast road from the little pueblo of Malarrimo to the playa or did you go in from San Jose del Castro?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 03:01 PM

Here are a few photos of our adventure:
Tres Amigos: Mike, Russ & Steve

Mike in the kitchen

Living Room

Bed Room

Casita enterance

Court Yard Bathroom for Campers

Each casita has a yard and Jean & Ed are extremely pet friendly. The whole inside is fenced so a dog won't get out and into trouble.

This is part of the fenced yard

The fence...

Along the road to Malarimo a rancher had piled at least 50 old wheel barrels along the fence

Two wierd formations. Anyone know what these are?

South end of Malarimo

Canyon into Malarimo

Up on the mesa above the canyon

The beach

There's a natural jetty that sticks out past the wave line and it looked really fishy. I only got a couple bumps with a Kroc and Mike with a Scampy

I did catch an Oyster Catcher. Flew into my line and was released unharmed.
These photos are from both Steve & I. We all had a fantastic trip and will do it again. Ed & Jean are exceptional host. I'm sorry if I misspelled Malarimo... get over it

:P

[Edited on 8-20-2012 by Russ]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 03:28 PM

great stories and great photos.

I have always been curious to see Malarrimo but maybe I will skip it after hearing what you found.

Next time, be sure to stop by for a beer with Les - his favorite afternoon activity is shooting the breeze on the porch. which he really deserves after adding windows, removing windows, adding walls and removing walls all day at the new house ...

Do you have any pics of the jewelery and art gallery ??? We have been by there but I didn't realize they had a little store.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 04:13 PM

No pics off Jeans gallery but she may have some. Her jewelery is nice and her weaving collection is really artistic. She also has some of the local artists wares.
I'm hoping that we missed the good current for goodies at Malarrimo. Maybe a winter trip. Plus there are a lot of other places to explore out there. If I go again I'll camp a couple of night and explore more.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 06:01 PM

Don't give up on it Russ. It sounds like the beach changes after every storm. The next trip could be THE ONE. You know that the fishing changes every day.
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 07:44 PM

Well!! Mike and Russ covered everything.:bounce:But I to can't say enough about the B&B. Great place to jump off to other places. Mucho Fun.;)Meany
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
No pics off Jeans gallery but she may have some. Her jewelery is nice and her weaving collection is really artistic. She also has some of the local artists wares.

Russ, sorry the fishing wasn't so good for you. Next time it will be better--- yes it will. I have heard others say the same thing about Malarrimo. We were going to go out there with my sister and her group right before you were here, but didn't. So next time we will and there will be LOTS of good things. :yes:

Blanca,
Jean makes absolutely beautiful material things --- her weavings are really great as is her jewelry. She also has weavings from other places like Oaxaca that are very nice. And she has some of the most beautiful fish paintings I have seen --- done in a style using an impression of a real fish. It is difficult to explain, but they are made locally and I LOVE the one hanging on my wall and really want more. And then there is a magnificent hand made tile hanging. All worth seeing.

BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 08:14 AM

We just stayed at Jean and Ed's right before this group. It's all they say it is. Clean, spacious, wonderfully decorated rooms with a hearty breakfast to start the day! Jean and Ed make for wonderful hosts!

Our group bought 3 of the fish paintings and several of Jean's hand woven rugs and some jewelry! Loved all the artwork.

We also took our UTVs out to Malarrimo. What a great ride. Loved the beach. It's definetely a gorgeous and secluded section of Baja that I classify as a must see. The reason there was no goodies left is because we picked the beach clean a day before they got there!:lol:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 09:40 AM

Yeh, Jean said you were thorough.:rolleyes:
Did anyone in your group loose a hat? It's was the only treasure I found?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 01:33 PM

can't wait to see the artwork - I am a sucker for anything artsy cratsy.

ok, so maybe we' WILL check out malarrimo .....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 08:45 AM

The debris on Malarrimo is likely to increase when the tsunami floatsam arrives! Bring radiation gloves!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 09:46 PM

Not sure if any of us left a hat behind on the beach but we did leave a few pounds of gold nuggets! Simply had no room for anymore!:P

I think the debris that left Japan from the tsunami sailed away before the nuclear reactor overheated. I hope that's the case anyway.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 08:20 PM

Jean and Eds place is simply supurb. The food is excellent.
Most gracious and generous hosts. I know that I shall
return for an longer stay in the future.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.