Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chiles en Nogada
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 10:23 AM
Chiles en Nogada

One of the iconic dishes of the Mexician kitchen, Chiles en Nogada will be on a lot of plates across the republic this evening.

The picadillo used for the stuffing is a 50-50 combination of finely diced (not ground) beef and pork and is ably augmented with the addition of finely diced onions, (peeled & seeded) tomatoes, plaintains, peaches, apple, pear, raisins and pink pine nuts, which are exceedingly rare even in Mexico. Cool it and then stuff it into the queen of chiles, a lightly charred and peeled poblano.

La Independencia and El Grito are cause for celebration and many families would break out the good Talavera to serve the Chiles en Nogada. And families with the financial resources would often commission a new set of Talavera just for this one dish on one evening out of the year.

I don't own any Talavera dishes, but this platter from Capula in Michoacan works just fine, as will any platter large enough to hold a batch

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Buen Provecho, Viva etc...
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 10:27 AM

Looks like pomegranate instead of pine nuts! Beautiful dish.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 10:39 AM

Those are pomegrantes. The pink pine nuts are actually in the picadillo filling.

The sauce is cream cheese, goat cheese, heavy cream or half & half, a bunch of walnuts, some almonds, salt, a little sugar and a shot of dry sherry. Garnished with the pomegrante seeds and chopped flat leaf parsley and you end up with the colors of the Mexican flag.

The dish is not hard, just time consuming :D
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 10:48 AM

My favorite!
Love this time of year.

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 11:55 AM

Have heard of this dish but never had a chance to actually eat any. I will have to try and make a batch myself. Great pics also.

[Edited on 9-15-2012 by mulegejim]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 12:05 PM

Thanks for reminding me of this dish. I will have to check where I can get it currently in San Diego. Last time I had it in town was at Romesco's in Bonita.

Ken

edit for spelling

[Edited on 9-15-2012 by tripledigitken]

Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Thanks for reminding me of this dish. I will have to check where I can get it currently in San Diego. Last time I had it in town was at Romesco's in Bonito.

Ken

Romescos is always a good bet.

Super Cocina in City Heights - University between Cherokee & 37th had them last year. Other likely locations would be Candalas, El Agave or either El Vitral location
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 01:51 PM

The photo is great. I quit reading when the message is spread so far across the page it is no longer enjoyable.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 03:25 PM

The very traditional restaurant across the street from where I am presently staying here in Oaxaca has it on the menu today. I saw it on the Sandwich board as I passed and just could not resist, so I stopped in for comdia a couple of hours ago.
Oh my gosh, that was the best Chile en Nogada that I have ever eaten. The meal was served with homemade tortillas and berros, a very traditional soup of choyote, corn and greens, perfectly steamed veges, several salas, agua horcata w/ tiny pieces of melon, sandia and nuts, (not to sweet, not to thick, just right), and green/red/white jello for desert. All for only $110 pesos.
I walked away so full all I could do was go up to my room and take a siesta.
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 03:30 PM

I love those little fellows nibbling on the dish in the second photo.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 04:01 PM

Perhaps the best guilty treat that exists in all Mexican cuisine.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.