Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chef Jair Téllez takes 'Amerexican' to North Park
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 06:32 PM
Chef Jair Téllez takes 'Amerexican' to North Park

Leaves behind his celebrated Mexican kitchens (Laja; MeroToro) for a pop-up dinner

From The San Diego Union Tribune

Written by Keli Dailey

"In August Mark Bittman called this chef's food "super," and perhaps best labeled "Amerexican."

That New York Times piece was about Jair Téllez, who grew up on both sides of the border.

I've eaten at his Baja restaurant Laja, set on a quiet stretch of dirt road in the heart of Mexico's wine country. And I've been swept up by the fresh scallops and the hyper-local story behind Laja's menu: Produce is pulled that morning from the garden out front. Sea life is driven in from Ensenada, 20 miles away.

Pop-up dinner with Jair Téllez 7:15 p.m. Monday, Sept. 24 at El Take It Easy. 3926 30th St. North Park. (619) 291-1859 or eltakeiteasy.com/laja-in-san-diego. $70 with wine. Reservations: laja@eltakeiteasy.com

So when I heard Téllez was doing a pop-up dinner at North Park's El Take It Easy next Monday - and spotlighting SAN DIEGO ingredients - I wanted to know why he wasn't smuggling Mexican materials across the border in a backpack.

"San Diego, Tijuana and Ensenada share many of the same geographic and climatic conditions. Therefore we have access to many of the same ingredients," Téllez, who also runs MeroToro restaurant in Mexico City, schooled me in an email.

"Most of the differences come from the cultural, economic and political side of the equation."

Of course cooking with San Diego ingredients is in line with Téllez's philosophies about restricting ingredients to his immediate area. Ensenada and San Diego are 70 miles apart: You're considered a locavore if you source food within a 100-mile radius.

On the menu

The pop-up dinner with Jair Téllez advertises the following menu:

beet ceviche, avocado, salt cured Sierra mackerel

heirloom tomatoes, green tomatoes, cucumber, fish roe, herbal tonic of sorrel, nopal, basil and lemon verbena.

broccoli, romanesco, butternut squash, charred onions, radishes, ¨caldo de queso¨ broth, quail egg

rosa bianca eggplant, lardo, powdered acorns

lamb, carrots, Swiss chard, burnt star anise

fermented goat´s milk panna cotta, hibiscus-sage infusion, lemon balm granita

"It wouldn´t make any sense to me to bring in ingredients ... because I already have them here in San Diego. (Well, I might sneak in a thing or two, just possibly)."

Téllez joins a list of bright Baja lights who have guest-cooked in El Take It Easy's kitchen, including chefs Benito Molina, Solange Muris, Javier Plascencia and Diego Hernández.

The $70 dinner, which starts at 7:15 p.m., features communal seating and wine pairings.

It's a six-course menu, and what Téllez called a chance to "illustrate that despite the great evident differences between both sides of the border, there are much more meaningful things that bring us together, like ingredients, history, climate... However and must of all, the greatest coincidence is that around great food there´s always great people."

keli.dailey@utsandiego.com (619) 293-1541 Twitter @kelidailey

[Edited on 9-22-2012 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 09:57 PM

I've eaten Jair's food at both Laja and MeroToro in D.F. and it is usually nothing short of phenomenally well crafted, with impossibly well balanced flavors, and capable of swoon inducing.

So, yes, I guess you could say I'm really looking forward to Monday night at El Take it EZ.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.