Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Baja cactus
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 03:04 PM

Good to know, saves me a few coins when I call for reservations from the US (which we always do).
Thanks
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 03:50 PM

Headed back north from La Paz. Decided to try doing the peninsula in 3 days instead of 2 going back to Tecate and north. E-mailed El Morro on being pet friendly, received a positive answer in 3 hours. Made reservations via e-mail and received confirmation. Two e-mails sent to two different addresses on the Baja Cactus website requesting reservations have not been answered in three days. Moving on, contacted Jardines via e-mail on being pet friendly, received response in a couple of hours. Booked a room there too. Usually only stay in Guerrero Negro driving up or down, but was looking forward to easier drive, shorter driving days, and different places to stay. Was hoping to stay at Baja Cactus, but pretty much insist on a reserved room for the night. Will report back on El Morro and Jardines when back home in CA. Reviews look good. Anybody else have difficulty getting Baja Cactus to respond to their posted e-mail addresses?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Headed back north from La Paz. Decided to try doing the peninsula in 3 days instead of 2 going back to Tecate and north. E-mailed El Morro on being pet friendly, received a positive answer in 3 hours. Made reservations via e-mail and received confirmation. Two e-mails sent to two different addresses on the Baja Cactus website requesting reservations have not been answered in three days. Moving on, contacted Jardines via e-mail on being pet friendly, received response in a couple of hours. Booked a room there too. Usually only stay in Guerrero Negro driving up or down, but was looking forward to easier drive, shorter driving days, and different places to stay. Was hoping to stay at Baja Cactus, but pretty much insist on a reserved room for the night. Will report back on El Morro and Jardines when back home in CA. Reviews look good. Anybody else have difficulty getting Baja Cactus to respond to their posted e-mail addresses?

The other pet friendly hotel in the area is Hotel Santa Maria (old La Pinta) and it is a very nice full service Motel for 500 pesos.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 04:23 PM

Yes Jack, for whatever reason, Antonio doesn't look at his emails and hasn't for years... The telephone works 100% of the time to make a reservation.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 08:38 AM

Thanks David, he should remove the e-mail addresses if they are not used. I regret not being able to stay there on this trip. Our phone calling ability is limited in the boat, but e-mail capability is fine. Well, next time...
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 08:56 AM

I dont understand why Antonio's office staff can't answer emails...they have internet and perhaps he can make a new address that the desk person can answer...perhaps it is a language issue? He could have a stock letter in English saying we received your letter and made the reservation.

I also have wondered how they handle reservations when they dont take a deposit...there must be some no shows...but maybe the demand is so great that it doesnt matter if people dont show up...they still fill up....maybe that is also why they dont answer emails.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 09:51 AM

We have never been asked for up-front money when making reservations in Baja, at least not at the smaller motels. The big ones do ask for a CC. I guess no-shows are not a problem. At Baja Cactus they do always ask where you are coming from and what time you expect to get there and that they will hold the reservation until 7:00pm. We did have to cancel onc when a washed out road delayed our trip. We called and "no problem".
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 10:36 AM

we tried emailing in a reservation last week with the same result....finally had a friend call them and reserve a room...we decided to top off our gas tank next door before checking in and were told by the attendant that it would be a short wait as they were changing shifts....45 minutes later after inventoring EVERY bottle of lubricant on the racks TWICE and wandering around with clipboards we finally got gas...geez!.......then, because it was late and we were tired, we decided to eat next door at mama espinozas...been disappointed there before..not this time...the place was packed and the lobster chile rellenos were great.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
We have never been asked for up-front money when making reservations in Baja, at least not at the smaller motels. The big ones do ask for a CC. I guess no-shows are not a problem. At Baja Cactus they do always ask where you are coming from and what time you expect to get there and that they will hold the reservation until 7:00pm. We did have to cancel onc when a washed out road delayed our trip. We called and "no problem".

We also have never been asked for an up front deposit at places like Baja Cactus, Jardines, Santa Maria, or elsewhere. And if circumstances change, they are good about cancelling the reservation. We do always call if we need to cancel. I am not sure they even have a way of taking a deposit, unless they have paypal and I would not want to do that. When we paypal money to people in Mexico, there is a fee involved.
I do imagine the big operations in the big cities operate differently, but we have never made advanced reservations for the bigger cities.

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by DianaT]

ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 12:34 PM

Baja Cactus does have a credit card maching in the lobby so I expect they could take a CC over the phone. Glad they don't I like the level of trust that it implies to not ask for payment. Hope it continues.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 01:23 PM

It is my understanding that, in general, they'll hold your unguaranteed room reservation until 7pm. If you indicate a slightly later arrival they still might hold it (say until 8p-10p?). Otherwise, they may ask for payment via paypal.

With all the people stopping there for a room at night (from what I see each time we visit these days), it's my belief that they feel it is easy enough to fill a previously reserved room after 7pm if they need to. Perhaps not so much after 8p/9p/10p/etc.

-
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 01:05 PM

A year later...

Heard that Antonio has been upgrading the older 'commercial' rooms so when his newer rooms are not available, you will have a much nicer 'older' room than in the past.

With Antonio's work with the rescue service deserving rewards, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71485
one small way to contribute is to use the Baja Cactus businesses when on Hwy. 1... The Pemex and the motel... In the future will be more services... Go Antonio, go!

El Rosario is 5-6 hours/ 225 miles from the border and is an ideal first stop southbound or last stop northbound for fuel and rest.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
A year later...

Heard that Antonio has been upgrading the older 'commercial' rooms so when his newer rooms are not available, you will have a much nicer 'older' room than in the past.

There are six of the "older" rooms. The three of those closest to the highway have been remodeled. The other three will be when it slows down again, apparently. Antonio said he was reading a thread here where someone said they were taking their dog back out to the car for the night, because they wouldn't want them to stay in the room.... and that after reviewing the state of those rooms, he felt refreshing those rooms was in order...

Again, I have pics... but will have to post when I have a chance. :biggrin:

Can anyone reference that thread for me - I haven't found it yet. Thx.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 08:58 PM

We did a walk in around 3:00 PM , and stayed the Night of Jan. 2nd in room 202 , upstairs and to the right of the office . Carmen at the front desk was very nice , the room was perfect , and THE SHOWER !!! My God ..... powerful , unlimited HOT WATER after a week at Campo Rene !!!!!

I'm going to build a shrine to that shower in my closet ....:P

D.~
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Antonio said he was reading a thread here where someone said they were taking their dog back out to the car for the night, because they wouldn't want them to stay in the room.... and that after reviewing the state of those rooms, he felt refreshing those rooms was in order...

Can anyone reference that thread for me - I haven't found it yet.

Found it.... it's in this same thread... the eighth post on the first page... by dtbushpilot:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=67108#pid8125...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJL
We did a walk in around 3:00 PM , and stayed the Night of Jan. 2nd in room 202 , upstairs and to the right of the office . Carmen at the front desk was very nice , the room was perfect , and THE SHOWER !!! My God ..... powerful , unlimited HOT WATER after a week at Campo Rene !!!!!

I'm going to build a shrine to that shower in my closet ....:P

D.~

Awesome right? 202 is my favorite as well... you can have a party in the showers at Baja Cactus, some are that big, with boosted pressure and endless hot water (well enough to clean the moon dust off, anyway)!

Room 202 is upstairs from the office and on the right:

There is a sitting bench inside on the left... amazing... and in El Rosario, none the less.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.