Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Daring Baja
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 08:40 AM
Daring Baja

I dare ya

An ad that pops up when I start my computer says Atrevete Ya, “Dare Now”. It reminds me that I’m old and anything but daring.

The forum has been full of articles and chat about crime and danger in Baja California and about a million words on how to avoid it all. Now I suppose that’s good for oldsters like me, families with kids along for vacation but lookin’ back at all those wonderful Baja summers when I was young and single with few obligations I believe I didn’t dare enough.

I had “The List” of things to make everything safe and easy and my trucks/jeeps were loaded with that stuff. I remember there were places I didn’t go because I was alone and out there was the Great Unknown Desert.

I used dry ice to keep prime meat fresh for days and I usually gave it all away. I had a Black and Decker rechargeable blender for margaritas that was only good for one pitcher. In short, I took a lot of goofy stuff I didn’t need and never had a trip I can remember when I left some indispensable thing at home.

Seems now that when I fished I never ventured far to sea, when I snorkeled I didn’t dive deep enough and when I had chances to meet Mexicans I encountered, I didn’t greet them, embrace them and their culture. I just wouldn’t dare enough.

Now, while there is far more pleasant talk on the board about less danger, less crime, a safer Baja, seems like the perfect time for youngsters to take the road less traveled, dare to engage the people and country, put their youth and wit, their quickness and adaptability to the test by daring to do the unthinkable, the near the edge things as and when you have the chance. Maybe leave the bear spray at home and instead of allowing this place to pamper you, challenge the myriad things out there waiting for your courage.

Once you have reached the high ground, visited the mountain ranches like JR and many others you might be moved to do things, see things you didn’t even know were there waiting for you.

Here’s the place for me to drop in a heavy quote “You can only step into the same river once” but I have no clue to what that means.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 10:25 AM

Double dog dares! Good reminder to leave the comfort of your homes and Go for It once in awhile. Naranjo Road, Pacific coast road south of ... and plenty of new challenges seem to pop up frequently. Battery powered blenders are but a small comfort that softens sleeping on the ground but under the stars. Good reminder to keep livin ! Thanks . :yes::cool: Tio
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 01:06 PM

we dared to find the beaches of Oaxaca back in the late 80's a couple of years after high school. we thought we were at the ends of the earth then! talk about fun! now it is closer to home with every item including the kitchen sink. the adventure is where you make it!!!

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 12:52 PM

Life is all about adventures!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 06:11 PM

Great post, Osprey! Reminded me of all my early exploratory trips to Baja in the 80's when it was all new to me....what great adventure it was!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 06:26 PM

I am still the same person that I was in my very early days in visiting all parts of Baja.
I dare you??

I dare the Baja local to meet with me and my wife Jana. We'll come out friends when we are done.

Baja really has no dangers, unless one perceives them to be there...then one might as well stay in the good old USA.

For the most part, we travel all of Baja without reservations for anything, with the exception of Shari's place because of it's popularity. But I'll bet you that if we showed up unannounced, we will still have a place to stay.
We have done that all over the world, and we are still doing that.

Are you daring enough, or have enough courage, and have enough confidence to travel anywhere without reservations?

Yes, It does take balls to travel to Algiers, Tangiers, Morocco, Spain, or even Baja, and have no idea where you will spend the night or eat for that matter. What is at the end of that dirt road that you just passed...just go for it!

Osprey is right on the money with his assessment!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 10:56 AM

As the water flows, it will never be the same river. Unless there is a double meaning to that quote you made. I'll buy this one.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.