Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dias de los Muertos & Don Jimmy
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 07:45 AM
Dias de los Muertos & Don Jimmy

In my mind I have created a shrine to honor a friend, Jimmy Smith, who I invite you all to visit.
In it I have placed pictures of some of people he cared so much about. Sally, his daughter, who carries?s forth his talent with the written and spoken word. A picture of Don Jimmy himself holding court on his front porch as taken and published by his good friend Gene Kira. Chuck Potter?no two men have ever been closer. Dave Deal with whom he shared the universe as they camped under the wing of an airplane. Bobby VanWarmer a pioneer much like Jimmy?together have shared many secrets. Desert Bull and the guys sharing a drink over a desert campfire.

A young man, Dylan his great-grandson, who is held so closely to his heart. AND finally, Donna Lupe the lady he chased for so many years that she finally caught him.

To this I have added water from the Sea of Cortez. Some heated and windblown desert sand. The silence of a plane soaring quietly above his beloved desert. The sound and fury of a Baja 500.
The waves lapping at the side of a ponga floating upon that Vermillion Sea.

Over in the corner you will notice pen, ink, and paper for his use whenever he decides to sling the ink and create another wonderful tale to entertain us.

You may faintly hear the song, The Yellow Rose of Texas, in the background AND I am sure that you will hear the laughter of all of his friends as they listen to just one more story from the ?Grinning Gargoyle.?

No, I did not forget--in the other corner he will find a case of Pacifico on ice.

Don Bernie

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 08:03 AM
Beautiful Bernie

I really enjoyed that, so will Jimmy. Thank you for sharing. Oh and so he'll have a good laugh can I add a tiny arrowhead. That story always made me laugh and when I think of Jimmy I always remember it.:spingrin::bounce::tumble:

[Edited on 10-31-2004 by Keri]
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 08:07 AM
Keri

Ah yes, the famous author!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 08:45 AM

Bernie, that is perfect!

:)
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 08:49 AM
Bernie

A couple weeks before his departure, he told me that you had become his best friend in an amazingly short period of time.
This is why !!!
Excellent.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 09:02 AM

akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 10:22 AM
Additions

I would add a Domino & a Mercedes emblem & maybe a small Meyers Manx. Almost forgot the Motorcycle !

akbear
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 12:18 PM
That was more than beautiful Bernie;

Some times I think the ol Man inspires us to our very best writing. Certainly, this little gem of yours is a shinning example of his influnence. Thank You so much for the smile that your words brought my day.

By the way, Papa's niche here in Oaxaca has turned into a full blown shrine; includes both of your books Bernie, along with Dad's, and a few others that I thought he would enjoy, lots of Marigolds, and an old fashion feather pen. It has been such a bonding experinse beyond belief this building of Dad's shrine. I highly recommend the custom to anyone who wants to bring back to their heart someone passed over to the other side.

[Edited on 10-31-2004 by Eli]
Betty

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 07:57 PM

He sure knew how to enjoy every day (and night!) and many of us have taken his example and live life to its fullest at every opportunity. Here he is w/ me at Rancho Santa Ynez in May of 2003...trying to outlast the guys, telling story after story. He wanted somebody ELSE to say "it's time to hit the sack". One thing I can surely say...He looked a heckuva lot better than *I* did at 3am!
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 09:40 AM
Aw Betty,

You are a beauty, but a little pale there next to the ol Man. Anyway, I remember him talking you up, he kind a had a crush on you, I think. But, please don't tell Dona Lupe, it would break her heart to know that he was out until 3 a.m. playing with the likes of you.

Thanks for the memory and the smile it brings me as I look upon this picture of him.

Hasta, Sara

[Edited on 11-1-2004 by Eli]
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 07:49 AM
Don Jimmy

Saludos mi amigo de corazon!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.