BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The sad state of Mexican and Foreign medical schools (including UABC, UAG, and other medical schools in Mexico)
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 11:05 AM
The sad state of Mexican and Foreign medical schools (including UABC, UAG, and other medical schools in Mexico)

I am actively working with current Mexican medical students that want to pass the U.S. boards by giving them ideas on starting to study now (Kaplan videos, First Aid, USMLE World.) With the Reach out program, and with the ECFMG's current guidelines to have a world standard for exams and standards for practicing medicine by 2023, we can all do our part to make this a reality. Letter written to my Congressman today:

Subject: Re: Medical school in Mexico

Hi Joe,

I have completed Medical School in Mexico. It turns out the Department of Education has disqualified my school for any more U.S. Federal Loans because of the school's pass rate on the United States Medical Licensing Exam. I would say 90% of this problem has to do with the reluctance of the U.S. Department of Education' to monitor the last few years (by their own admission, and a letter sent out to the Department by DOE) of the school's curriculum and U.S. exam's test results. I am a Doctor in Mexico, but in the US I still have to pass the exams, and I will need to study the material about a year to pass Step 1 because the school probably covered about 40% of the material I need to learn. There have been very few people passing the exam that are from the US and their territories.

I have contacted the numbers you gave me. The US did not monitor the program there sufficiently to meet the DOE's requirements of a pass rate of 60%.

Because of the DOE's failure to sufficiently monitor the school, sadly, Joe, the standards for my school and many other foreign medical schools have fallen way behind the US's in material covered and exam pass rate, making it almost an impossible task to pass the exams unless you can spend a year or two after medical school not working and studying for them. Most are making very little money or unemployed outside of the U.S. and not as physicians because of these problems. Even then, the students that do pass with a substantially lower score, which greatly hinders their chances of getting into a U.S. Residency program that they desire. The other sad part of the story is that my school has no interest in raising the bar to meet the U.S.'s requirements to pass the exam.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 04:04 PM
Looking on the Bright Side

Poor Medical care in 3rd-world countries could actually have a positive (winnowing) effect.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 06:35 PM
Joe???

A US Congressman and you address him as "Joe"?????

Great way to get your point across, unless you know him personally, and even then.....

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
A US Congressman and you address him as "Joe"?????

Great way to get your point across, unless you know him personally, and even then.....

Maybe you'll get one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CprVYsG0k
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 07:18 PM

Just an amazing thread, so far. "Joe" is offensive, and yet...................

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Just an amazing thread, so far. "Joe" is offensive, and yet...................

Maybe it's Joe Biden. :?:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 12:38 PM

The US Government gave Xochicalco University in Tijuana and Ensenada 5.5 million U.S. Dollars of the American taxpayers money as Federal Stafford loans for U.S. and Puerto Ricans going to the school. After being alerted by my Congressman, the U.S. Department of Education has now discontinued any U.S. loans because of the pass rate of the US Boards being lower than agreed to per contract between the school and the U.S. Department of Education. Who knows what's going on with U.S. money in Guadalajara and other foreign medical schools? Oh, and the Congressman asked me to call him Joe, and I have been in contact with him for several years.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:45 PM

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 08:09 PM

Yes it is accredited, but has lost any American financial support.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.