BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Conditions at Bahia Conception?
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 09:19 PM
Conditions at Bahia Conception?

Does anyone have any recent reports of: water temps, mallas, no-see-ums, etc..... ?
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 09:33 PM

up to date info. at www.campgecko.com
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 09:38 PM
Or, you might try asking Bruce

or Capn Mike. They are in the Bahia Concepcion area rather than "bola" and in contact regularly.:light:
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 09:39 PM

I was just at Doc's site and didn't find exactly what I was hoping for. Anyone else?
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 09:41 PM
Sorry

as soon as I pushed the "send" button I realized that I'd misread. :(
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 09:56 PM

Thanks all. Hubby and I just received word that we would both be laid off from our federal jobs in 2 weeks. After panicking, sobbing, medicating with a few cervesa...we decided it might be a good time for a quick trip to our favorite place, before deciding what we need to do next.

So, if Capn Mike, Bruce or anyone else wants to chime in...we are ready to be talked into going south for a week, or two perhaps. We were down for our honeymoon last year at this time for a month, it was great, but the mallas & pesky noseeums made Conception Bay less than desireable for an extended stay.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 10:00 PM
Bahia Concepcion (no "t")

You might try the South end- Requeson, La Perla, they get a breeze there that moves the bugs- unlike the top end.
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 08:27 AM
Snorkeling on the south end

The big attraction for us at Los Cocos is the great snorkeling right from the beach. I love to snorkel but I can't handle boat rides (sea sickness ack!). Is there a camp on the south side that has good snokeling?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 08:36 AM
Janice

There's a bunch of beaches with access down there with rocky points and areas for snorkeling.
I see no one has replied from down there yet. They will.
I'm down there a lot and I pretty much plan on agua malas being there . What I do is either wear a thin wetsuit, (usually not) or, keep a pan of water on the stove to heat up when I do get stung. It really isn't that bad anyway and the hot water (as hot as you can stand) cures it almost instantly.
Mosquitos. Childrens Strength Off and Cutters have been the most effective out of the many we have tried. Seems like the stronger strength repellants would be better but that hasn't been the case. And, they smell good too!
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 11:33 AM
Mozzies? I use Skin So Soft and it works for me

and I used it on my last trip down. It kept those dusk nasties away at El Requeson last trip down. Not sure if it is available in stores anymore as I haven't seen it on the shelves in some time.

I think Skin So Soft is an Avon item. Will have to look in my motorhome later today.

RandyMac

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 12:08 PM
What really 'bugs' us...

are those no-see-ums that bite you on the ankles as you walk along the shore!

A couple of trips ago to Concepci?n, we took a few of those 'coil-cord' like bug repellents with us - they look like coiled phone cords, made in a circle so that you can put them on your wrists or as we do, on our ankles - and they work great! You can usually find them along with the other repellents - we got em' at Wal-Mart.

We still use the good spray stuff for the mo-skeet-toes....:biggrin:

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 02:42 PM
2 weeks ago down for Sams clinic

it was perfect and no bugs. i'm going to be there this sat nite before going to la paz sun a.m. to retrieve some pre runners and i'll be back sun, then back down 12-14 dropping pre runners and hanging out so i'll give a report.

Also i have a seat avail 12th if anyone needs a ride one way drop or R/T.

leave and return phx area though.

last year the sand fleas were horrendous!

i wouldn't go near santispac....they are the worst!! my friend Jerry got chicken pox of the legs like you never saw.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 09:20 AM

Just back from Loreto - LOTS of jellies and sea lice in the water and I got minor stings that usually lasted a few minutes, but one lingered for a day. I used only the Farmer John portion of my 3mm and the only parts that were stung were those that were exposed outside of it.
expat2B
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 01:10 PM

Visited Loreto, BdeC, and Mulege last week and no insect complaints of note, possibly due to the strong winds (vientos poderosos?). Much like synch, we suffered occasional jelly stings whilst snorkeling off Isla Partida.
Selkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 08:19 AM
jellyfish

One of my sailing magazines had a small article about a product called SafeSea, which combines a sunscreen with a substance which prevents jellyfish stings. I plan on trying it out on my next visit to LA Bay. Their website is: safesea.net
Check it out.
Gail T.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 09:48 AM

Tha DiveMasters, Bruce and Raphael, from Dolphin Dive carry a bottle of windex on the boat to spray on stings. I've used vinegar before and think it works a little better than windex, but it was easier to use.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 12:59 PM

My wife is an ocean swimmer. She swims regularly. She uses SafeSea. She puts it on her face and chest primarily as that is were first contact normally occurs. She loves the stuff.

http://www.safesea.net/

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 03:39 PM
Mulege & Bahia de Concepcion Conditions

I just came back from 10 day visit of my daughter's family in Mulege area. The beaches on the bay were not too crowded for the most part. Some places had more RV crowds but Playa Escondida and Coyote were nice and mellow. There were more tourists in town and people coming through for this week's Baja 1000 race. As for the bugs, I can't give you much info for night conditions on the bay as I was staying with relatives in town. During the day, we had no problems with bugs, the weather was mild, upper 70s & low 80s and the water was still pleasent for swimming, probably low-mid 70s along the shore/shallow areas.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be happy to post more info!! Enjoy your trip south!!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 07:19 PM

We always carry Adolph's Instant Meat Tenderizer for Jellyfish stings. It works as well as anything else. As a last resort, pee on the affected area (the uric acid helps relieve the sting).
For no-see-ums we asually were socks and light pants when possible and put the skin so soft on the socks especially, that way you don't have to smell like your dog the next day.
For sea lice, rinse with clean water after exiting the water if possible. Otherwise, take a wash rag with Dr. Bonners and water and wipe your whole body. The sea lice usually affect the areas of heair and those under your suit that stay wet, more than other areas.
Also, when visiting any of the conception beaches, keep your stuff inside or close by at night and try to have someone watch your rig if you are away. Lot's of occasional opportunistic theives around.
We always go to El Requeson anyway where you can snorkel, dig clams and scallops, fish or nothing.......
Good Luck !

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.