BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Auto security when driving down - do you use a steering wheel locking device "The Club" or other?
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 09:15 AM
Auto security when driving down - do you use a steering wheel locking device "The Club" or other?

tim40 wrote:
I am still not clear if the majority in in the know are of the opinion that the theft problem is growing, static, or in decline? At times listening and reading posts from others I feel that I have won a verson of the Baja lottery. I have never had even a minor problem and in retrospect, I have certainly allowed for opportunities.

I returned from a trip to Loreto earlier this week and flew by plane. While there, I noticed one parked car using "the club" steering wheel locking device. I thought the town was very safe and this might have been overkill, but after seeing Tim40's post I thought I would ask others on this board. On my next trip I'll be driving down with expensive camera and SCUBA gear staying in both hotels and camping.

What steps do others take to ensure security of car loaded items?
Thank you.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 10:24 AM
Always use a locking device

and if you have an alarm use it also. NEVER leave anything in you car in plain site. In Mexico your car and anything it is fair game. Take it from one who knows. I've had two cars stolen in 8 years here in Baja. This time I'm putting a kill switch on also. k
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 10:46 AM

The best deterent to car theft is to leave the windows down about halfway so that the dog you left in the car has adequate ventalation and can grab a piece of skin!

I have even left the keys in the ignition, and the doors unlocked and never had a problem. It works well at checkpoints too.

Of coures, it may help to have a truck that no one wants to steal too.......
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 11:57 AM
Sculpin hit that nail

right on the head! dogs and crappy vehicles are my specialty. Plus, it cut's down on collisions when they see you are ready for them and the cars beat up anyway.:light:
Best advice, stay away from touristy areas.
If you must go to those, find a Mexican family to park by, they are everywhere.
And like everywhere, don't leave things in sight for the thieves to see.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 02:05 PM
Has anyone heard...

... of a case where a car was stolen even when a Club was attached?

They sure seem like the best alternative in terms of price and ease of operation.
jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 07:12 PM
the club

Ah come on,what do you do when you leave San Diego.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 07:26 PM
a snide meat ball drops the dogs in about 10 seconds

They are stealing cars with tow trucks here and in other places nothing works for that . Also a snide meat ball drops the dogs in about 10 seconds

Bruce R Leech Mulege Baja

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 07:55 PM

My vehicle is equipted with a 'kill' switch, an alarm, a club---and insurance to cover its loss---It HELPS if you don't drive a Lincoln Navigator or some other vehicle that the folks in Mexico--or Latin America want.
They cuss us but they sure make money by 'misapproiating' our property.
Yea I am bummed that Baja is changing--too damn many people from Mexico City and the mainland without the same ethics of the real Baja People. Hang onto your hats. Cause you ain't seen nothing yet.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.