BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Will The Border Ever Be Secure Enough For Immigration Hawks?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
Perhaps a solution to the drug problem on both sides of the border is "rehab," especially on the USA side.

Yeah...right. And the answer to roads full of lousy drivers is more body shops.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 05:55 PM

I agree that the drug war is lost, and at far too high a cost to all nations involved.
Legalize virtually all recreational drugs, establish monitored suppliers to insure purity, tax the crap out of it all, and sell it in state licensed stores.
Removing the limits on supply created by their illegality and the price will fall. The cartels will loose the potential for the profits created by the markups, and the manufacturing will go to farmers and legitimate drug manufacurers.
Take the money saved from interdiction programs, prosecutions, incarcerations and the crimes incidental to illigal drugs and use if for anti-drug education and anti-addiction clinics.
No more drug war. No more cartels, no more prison overcrowding, etc, etc.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
I agree that the drug war is lost, and at far too high a cost to all nations involved.
Legalize virtually all recreational drugs, establish monitored suppliers to insure purity, tax the crap out of it all, and sell it in state licensed stores.
Removing the limits on supply created by their illegality and the price will fall. The cartels will loose the potential for the profits created by the markups, and the manufacturing will go to farmers and legitimate drug manufacurers.
Take the money saved from interdiction programs, prosecutions, incarcerations and the crimes incidental to illigal drugs and use if for anti-drug education and anti-addiction clinics.
No more drug war. No more cartels, no more prison overcrowding, etc, etc.

You make WAY too much sense. =)

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
Perhaps a solution to the drug problem on both sides of the border is "rehab," especially on the USA side.

Yeah...right. And the answer to roads full of lousy drivers is more body shops.

http://thebodyshopsandiego.com/ :lol:

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 06:31 PM

My friend's dad owns that place woody.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
It would mean that the US would need to take it serious, not just build a fence, but seriously deter illegal crossing by not apprehending, but using lethal force for anyone crossing who did not immediately stop if so directed.
How do you think armies stop enemy combatants from crossing their lines? do they ask them to stop when sited? NO

I like your determination, but in order to do what you suggest, we would literally have to declare war on Mexico. We've given up our claim to sovereignty for so long now that it's assumed we just don't care.
Besides...another war with Mexico would have different variables since they've already put their loyal forces in place NOB. :fire:

"Lethal force"? Mexico and it's citizens are not our enemy! :fire: Just turn that around. How do you like it, Rambo?

agree with you,, we dont need Rambo, why do people think we have to resort to this thinking, for one it will never happen
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 07:18 PM
How do other (non-western) countries secure their borders?

It's called the military and their equipment including mine fields. The US has hundreds of thousand scatterable mines that they have to get rid of. Instead of an expensive fence just have aircraft scatter these along the border and post warning signs in Spanish describing the loss of legs for anyone that atempts to cross through it.:o:o

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
http://thebodyshopsandiego.com/ :lol:

I stand corrected. :biggrin:
Thanks, Woody.
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
It's called the military and their equipment including mine fields. The US has hundreds of thousand scatterable mines that they have to get rid of. Instead of an expensive fence just have aircraft scatter these along the border and post warning signs in Spanish describing the loss of legs for anyone that atempts to cross through it.:o:o

Not sure if border ranchers have yet provided Spanish lessons to their livestock.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
post warning signs in Spanish describing the loss of legs for anyone that atempts to cross through it.:o:o

They'll have to be in sixty different languages just like driving tests, and then we can only hope they can read. These arn't Mexico's Rhodes Scholars out getting excercise. :light:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you Barry, I can see the civil liberty side of it, but to me it, having to possess a secure form of ID to prove that you are legal to work in the US doesn't seem much more onerous than what we go through to have a passport or driver's license. The threat of felony prosecution coupled with a streamlined process for legal guest workers would encourage employers to pursue legal alternatives. Of course that's entirely too logical to ever be seriously considered.

Monoloco your idea of criminalization hiring of working and making it a felony for employers to hire undocumented Mexican aliens would lead to racist hiring practices.

Problems like E-Verify is not perfect, and leads to a small percentage of “false negatives." In 2006 E-Verify had a 92 percent accuracy rate, and although it's better now.( I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think it's something like 97 percent) That's still a lot of mistake the system is making, especially if you're going to make it a felony to employee a so-called "illegal immigrant."

Many Employers probably would say, they don't need the headache of a possible jail sentence, by hiring dark skin Latino looking people that could actually be born in Mexico. Perhaps these employers would only hire white people who they are pretty sure are born in the USA.

E-Verify would also cause problems to Latinos that are entitled to work in the USA, but because of computers problems, they are denied a job.
Yeah, all the strawberry growers and chicken farmers will refuse to hire anyone who's not caucasian. We'll see how that works out for them.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I agree with you Barry, I can see the civil liberty side of it, but to me it, having to possess a secure form of ID to prove that you are legal to work in the US doesn't seem much more onerous than what we go through to have a passport or driver's license. The threat of felony prosecution coupled with a streamlined process for legal guest workers would encourage employers to pursue legal alternatives. Of course that's entirely too logical to ever be seriously considered.

Monoloco your idea of criminalization hiring of working and making it a felony for employers to hire undocumented Mexican aliens would lead to racist hiring practices.

Problems like E-Verify is not perfect, and leads to a small percentage of “false negatives." In 2006 E-Verify had a 92 percent accuracy rate, and although it's better now.( I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think it's something like 97 percent) That's still a lot of mistake the system is making, especially if you're going to make it a felony to employee a so-called "illegal immigrant."

Many Employers probably would say, they don't need the headache of a possible jail sentence, by hiring dark skin Latino looking people that could actually be born in Mexico. Perhaps these employers would only hire white people who they are pretty sure are born in the USA.

E-Verify would also cause problems to Latinos that are entitled to work in the USA, but because of computers problems, they are denied a job.
Yeah, all the strawberry growers and chicken farmers will refuse to hire anyone who's not caucasian. We'll see how that works out for them.

So Monoloco Mexican immigrants can only be strawberry growers and chicken farmers?

You do know how that sounds don't you?

BTW I'm not only talking about undocumented Mexican immigrants here. I'm also talking about dark-skinned Americans, and Mexican-Americans who might be discriminated under your employment law pipe dream that would make it a felony for any employer to hire a non US citizen, or immigrants without a green card or other proper authorization papers.

For example a perspective dark skin American with an accent could be passed over because the employer just doesn't want to take a chance that he could unknowingly hire an undocumented Mexican alien and be subject to federal felony prosecution.

This brings up another question. Aren't are jails in the USA already too full with people who commit non violent crimes like drug possession because they are really just drug addicted?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 12:50 PM
Will The Border Ever Be Secure Enough For Immigration Hawks?

Ateo's rhetorical question in the title contains the cynicism that we all possess. That is, we all know the answer is no! :no:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
So Monoloco Mexican immigrants can only be strawberry growers and chicken farmers?

You do know how that sounds don't you?

BTW I'm not only talking about undocumented Mexican immigrants here. I'm also talking about dark-skinned Americans, and Mexican-Americans who might be discriminated under your employment law pipe dream that would make it a felony for any employer to hire a non US citizen, or immigrants without a green card or other proper authorization papers.

For example a perspective dark skin American with an accent could be passed over because the employer just doesn't want to take a chance that he could unknowingly hire an undocumented Mexican alien and be subject to federal felony prosecution.

This brings up another question. Aren't are jails in the USA already too full with people who commit non violent crimes like drug possession because they are really just drug addicted?
I'm too lazy to do a Google search, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't too big of a problem with undocumented doctors, engineers, accountants, etc. You have to provide pretty good documentation for a driver's license, bank account, and passport, so I would imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to verify one's immigration status. I believe most employers already have a pretty good idea when they are hiring someone who is not legal, if it inconveniences a few, so be it, we can always call it affirmative action for caucasians.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
we can always call it affirmative action for caucasians.

And, it's been a long time coming.
Free at last....Free at last.........well, reasonable anyway. :biggrin:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 09:00 PM
What's YOUR Perspective ?

Joe ?

"..........For example a perspective dark skin American............"

Well, OK, I would think that dark-skinned (or any shade) Americans would have a variety of perspectives depending on their education, outlook, social-status or whatever and I suppose that it might affect their employment possibilities................
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.